Snowplough to Anglia

• RMweb Gold

The reason there is only one plough was because some idiot blocked the other one in with a tamper at March

Things like this is why I hate the modern railway hardly anyone thinks about the railway as a whole

Anyway yesterday was great fun , I got on at Cromer

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60196-the-human-side-of-the-railway/page-88

• Like 3

The reason there is only one plough was because some idiot blocked the other one in with a tamper at March

Things like this is why I hate the modern railway hardly anyone thinks about the railway as a whole

Anyway yesterday was great fun , I got on at Cromer

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60196-the-human-side-of-the-railway/page-88

True, the snowplough should not have been shut in, but then when was the last time independent snowploughs were required in East Anglia, in March ?!

Someone should have checked their location and condition, once conditions warranted their use, however.

• RMweb Gold

True, the snowplough should not have been shut in, but then when was the last time independent snowploughs were required in East Anglia, in March ?!

Someone should have checked their location and condition, once conditions warranted their use, however.

According to local info they did and they were confirmed as required Sat AM but ... see Russ' comment ^ ^

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The ploughs are checked and examined regularly and given a run once a year.

There are other sidings available at march and as this weather came with advanced warnings someone should have made sure they were accessible

• Like 1

NR own the equipment(?), perhaps moving all ploughs in November to better locations for loco provision would be an idea. Then when a bad weather spell is forecast everything is at least together, I know you can't exactly predict nature but it would save c**k ups like this. Since this sort of short notice work is going to go to just a few operators it seems to make sense to get the stuff together, it just appears that NR would rather pay compo to the TOC's than run trains and the TOC's are happy for that situation to continue. Shake up the whole TOC/NR compo culture, but thats probably a whole new thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We can't understand why NR insist on having them at March when there are others at Peterborough, they would be far better at Norwich where the loco's and a lot of the crews are

They are owned by NR but maintained by JSD

• RMweb Gold

The ploughs are checked and examined regularly and given a run once a year.

There are other sidings available at march and as this weather came with advanced warnings someone should have made sure they were accessible

Definitely takes a bit of stupidity to block in snowploughs at this time of year - especially when there is good advance warning of heavy snow!

It can be very dodgy ploughing deep snow single ended as it's a good way to get the plough and engines trapped as cleared snow falls back in behind them.  There was even a complete 2 x ploughs with a pair of Class 37s between them formation trapped between Castle Cary  and Yeovil back in 1978 and in the end they couldn't even manage to go back the way they had come; the crew were lifted off by an RN helicopter.

Daft idea to keep the ploughs separate from wherever locos area available as in really bad weather it's far to easy for the two not to be able to get together.  No doubt 'lessons have been learned', just a shame that commonsense was overlooked in the first place

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely takes a bit of stupidity to block in snowploughs at this time of year - especially when there is good advance warning of heavy snow!

It can be very dodgy ploughing deep snow single ended as it's a good way to get the plough and engines trapped as cleared snow falls back in behind them. There was even a complete 2 x ploughs with a pair of Class 37s between them formation trapped between Castle Cary and Yeovil back in 1978 and in the end they couldn't even manage to go back the way they had come; the crew were lifted off by an RN helicopter.

Daft idea to keep the ploughs separate from wherever locos area available as in really bad weather it's far to easy for the two not to be able to get together. No doubt 'lessons have been learned', just a shame that commonsense was overlooked in the first place

Lessons that have been learnt, forgotten and re-learnt!

• RMweb Premium

There is some footage on Twitter of the snow plough in action.

Hope this link works https://twitter.com/GreaterAngliaPR/status/970305018934054912/video/1

Impressive!  Just goes to show, those snow ploughs you see standing around in sidings for months do come in useful after all.  Respect to the guys manning them!

• Like 1

A little off topic, however the Doncaster ploughs were in York Holgate sidings on Saturday, having clearly been at work. Nice to get some photos of used ploughs after all these years (and Oliver Cromwell as an unexpected bonus) http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded I understand the York ploughs remained in Skelton sidings.

If anyone knows where the Donny ploughs saw action I'd welcome the information.

Paul

A little off topic, however the Doncaster ploughs were in York Holgate sidings on Saturday, having clearly been at work. Nice to get some photos of used ploughs after all these years (and Oliver Cromwell as an unexpected bonus) http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/recentlyadded I understand the York ploughs remained in Skelton sidings.

If anyone knows where the Donny ploughs saw action I'd welcome the information.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I seem to recall seeing on North East Gen that 66422 and 66434 were at Newcastle Station on Friday and working north of there I think.

Cheers

Alan

Edit - spelling / grammar

Edited by freightliner_bond
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see the plough and the 37s are still at Norwich. Is this just because they haven't been pathed 'home' yet? Or some actual forward planning for if the weather hits bad again this weekend as threatened?

Don't know for certain but possibly the latter - Russ P may know.

• Like 1

At the end of BR ploughs were kept at depots where they could be quickly put together with a pair of spare locos and sent where needed. Now under privatisation the ploughs are kept in sidings under the control of Network rail, who in the event of them being needed will then have to find an OC who can supply a pair of locos and crew at an agreed cost. They will then have to bring those locos to collect the ploughs before going on to plough where required.

And this is progress ?

At the end of BR ploughs were kept at depots where they could be quickly put together with a pair of spare locos and sent where needed. Now under privatisation the ploughs are kept in sidings under the control of Network rail, who in the event of them being needed will then have to find an OC who can supply a pair of locos and crew at an agreed cost. They will then have to bring those locos to collect the ploughs before going on to plough where required.

And this is progress ?

Only for accountants.

Just wait for the scenario where the locos can't get to the ploughs because that line needs ploughing...