The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jim - Bullseye - Bowen dies

beast66606

What a bad week!!!

RIP - Jim.

Indeed!! They're all dropping like flies, again!

SWMBO still likes to watch Bullseye :rolleyes:  I use it to show my lad what awful fashions people wore in the last Century; the lesson being that in years to come he'll look back and realise how ridiculous he looks now..!! :mosking:

RIP Jim.

• Like 2

Not a great week for entertainment, two greats gone and it’s only Wednesday.

The tragedy is all the headlines are about Bullseye, Jim was a far more talented as a comic as his early year on the ‘The Comedians’ would testify. The deadpan delivery was pure genius.

RIP Jim, let the laughter roll on

• Like 2

"Resigned after comments made on air" might've made a better reading obituary frankly.

Do we need to know fondly remembered famouses are flawed? I dunno, ignorance is bliss I s'pose, but it's sullied my opinion of the man without knowing the event or its context. Which shouldn't be the purpose of this news article.

C6T.

• Like 1

Not a great week for entertainment, two greats gone and it’s only Wednesday.

Considering the, erm - "non scientific" aspects of Stephen Hawking's career, as well as how accessible he made science to ordinary people, better make that three greats. :(

& it's still only Wednesday...

• RMweb Premium

I didn't find this thread earlier, and have posted much of this on ERs, but here goes. 

I have some tenuous connections with him, as he lived in the Lune Valley for years.  He lived in the former station building at Arkholme, which was on the still open Leeds - Carnforth line, but the station got a Beeching's Powder.  He sold that up, and moved to Caton (twin village to this one), where he had a flat in a disused cotton mill.  When he moved up the valley a bit, I "inherited" his old fax number as my new phone number.  When I worked at BT, we were permitted to get our home move orders processed by a colleague, and also to pick a number.  When BT's calls were handled purely on a regional basis (those were the days), all calls for Lancashire were taken in Lancaster, and colleagues used to tell of Jim being quite pushy in getting memorable mumbers even though they were normally reserved for business use - known as Golden Numbers and normally at a charge.  So when he left Caton, his fax number became spare, and I inherited it on my move.  He used to drive a Roller with the reg J80WEN but changed it to a different vehicle and number after he left the BBC for an alleged racist remark.  And once, we were on a team bowling evening at Morecambe, and he and his family were there for a few frames, and he had booked the very end lane, and also the two next lanes which remained unused so that he and his family had privacy.

Jim was also a musician, and played the trumpet with the Jim Bowen All Stars who appeared here and there and now and then in this area.

RIP Jim, a mixed life for sure.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

"Resigned after comments made on air" might've made a better reading obituary frankly.

Do we need to know fondly remembered famouses are flawed? I dunno, ignorance is bliss I s'pose, but it's sullied my opinion of the man without knowing the event or its context. Which shouldn't be the purpose of this news article.

C6T.

Classix T

Jim had a daytime show on Radio Lancashire, and was speaking about a BBC directive which he felt was too Politically Correct, and used an expression which he probably thought to be OK to describe its author, as it was used when he was younger as a description of someone with slightly skewed ideas, but which later came to be a racially offensive phrase - it was uttered live on air, and resulted in his immediate removal from the airwaves.

Edited by 45156

I remember when Jim was president of Morecambe FC and they played Ipswich at home in the FA Cup and lost. Jim was interviewed afterwards and said he was going to demand a compulsory eye test for referees, "Did he not see that brown envelope in his dressing room?" RIP Jim.