Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

Thanks Chris, I appreciated from the previous photos how small it is and understand there’s a balance between engineering and ‘wants’. With the Bachmann Baldwin in 009 having the speaker fitted though I’m beginning to think it soon will be possible with all locos but I guess they had inside knowledge of that coming at the design stage 3+ years ago. I guess that particular Zimo decoder won’t handle O gauge current though.

Must clear out some stuff to finance one :)

We will be using the same ZIMO decoder as fitted to the Bachmann 009 Baldwin, hence the 18-pin socket. However, the speaker is too small for an 0 gauge loco without generating unacceptable feedback. Our locos rarely draw more than 350-400mAm so it is quite feasible to use smaller decoders. I have happily run an Ixion Fowler 0-4-0DM using a decoder designed for N gauge. 

Just reading locomotives built by Manning Wardle volume  2 it states "from engine number 1192 the smokebox door was changed to a circular type which necessitated changes to the buffer beam"

Now what were the changes to the buffer beam?

On the smokebox door issue: Ringing Rock on the Selsey tramway had a 'half door' which allowed only the bottom half to open.  It also had a top hinge and a handrail immediately above it.  Not sure how easy it would have been to clean out:

Picture here: https://www.gravelroots.net/history/storeselsey/201.html

I don't know if this was a factory modification or if it received this modification in South Wales before arrival at Selsey.  I can't find any pictures of it at Selsey without this modification.

Now, I've just got to figure out how to model it like that...

It's a bit too late to ask I suppose, but is there any chance of alternative smokebox doors being included?  They are obviously fairly crucial to the 'face' of the locomotive and important for capturing the cheeky character of the K.  Maybe an opportunity for 3D printing?

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit too late to ask I suppose, but is there any chance of alternative smokebox doors being included?  They are obviously fairly crucial to the 'face' of the locomotive and important for capturing the cheeky character of the K.  Maybe an opportunity for 3D printing?

The upward hinged smokebox door was the original type, they were either flat or domed, as on 'Aldwyth' restored in Leeds Industrial Museum.

Whitemetal castings for the 'old class I' predecessor to the K class and same size, available from S&D Castings for $2.50.

https://www.sanddmodels.co.uk/products_43_standard.htm

Dava

A close up of the smokebox door again on Brill No. 1 it still does not show that much detail but it is not chopped off at the bottom.

I have just noticed that the smokebox wheel and lever changed to two levers in the photos plus the governor to the left side of the smokebox disappeared.

David

post-186-0-16712000-1542837384_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

Some more photos snapped on Cwm Bach of the decorated sample of the lined black version of the forthcoming Minerva Wardle K 0-6-0ST. The blue and crimson samples are on the way. Crew figures by ModelU and painted by Claudia Everett; from the expressions on their faces breakfast was a long time ago and lunch is some way off. 

CK

post-13142-0-67151500-1543002721_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-41205300-1543002738_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-45539500-1543002750_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

He's pushing it a bit with a cream jacket, but then again that cab has been kept very slick and span.

Nah - it's faded beige, or brown. The degree of fading is a sign of his seniority of service... :jester:

The do look a bit of a glum crew, though - probably wishing they were in a Minerva 8750 pannier instead :yes: :mosking:

Three little maids who, all unwary
Come from a distant factory

All three decorated samples of the forthcoming Minerva 0 Gauge Manning Wardle K 0-6-0ST are now in the UK and visiting Cwm Bach. There are some changes to be made to the lining on some of the models and the buffers, coupling hooks and coupling rods will be blackened on the production models. They will all be supplied fitted with the full wrap-over cab with the weatherboards supplied as painted spare parts. The blue and red versions appear brighter in the photos than in reality. You can see them at the Reading trade show on Saturday 1st December 2018

Chris K

post-13142-0-17772800-1543322150_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-29542200-1543322161_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

- Dark (prussian) blue with red and straw lining with scalloped corners

The blue and red versions appear brighter in the photos than in reality. You can see them at the Reading trade show on Saturday 1st December 2018

They do look very good, but ...

... I know you said that they appear 'brighter', but that blue really doesn't look like a dark prussian, it is certainly a lot lighter than the Railmatch Prussian Blue I have used on previous models. A bit annoyed I won't be at Reading to see what they look like in the flesh.

• RMweb Premium

The blue looks quite similar to the K&ESR blue on my Dapol Terrier, 'Bodiam' and well within the spectrum of Caley blue. When cleaned with oily or paraffin rags, blue on a steam loco darkens quite quickly. So it's a good starting point, as are the other liveries.

It looks most attractive and I won't be changing my order.

They do look very good, but ...

... I know you said that they appear 'brighter', but that blue really doesn't look like a dark prussian, it is certainly a lot lighter than the Railmatch Prussian Blue I have used on previous models. A bit annoyed I won't be at Reading to see what they look like in the flesh.

Our factory is using the colour PMS 648C, which is defined as Prussian Blue. 

Chris

I am soooooo tempted with one these Manning Wardles. However, is it possible to convert this to S7? I converted my Minerva Hudswell Clarke by using Slaters S7 axles and wheels as per an article in a S7 Newsletter. Can I do the same on the Manning Wardle?

Regards

Mike

Chris

I am soooooo tempted with one these Manning Wardles. However, is it possible to convert this to S7? I converted my Minerva Hudswell Clarke by using Slaters S7 axles and wheels as per an article in a S7 Newsletter. Can I do the same on the Manning Wardle?

Regards

Mike

Mike,

The axles are 3mm diameter and we think there is enough room to ease out the wheels to 33mm gauge. Grahame Beare will be talking to us at Reading this Saturday about S7 matters.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. I note that in MRJ 267 Barry Norman is getting away with using O gauge wheels on S7 axles on his scratchbuilt S7 tram. If the Minerva wheels are reasonably fine profile (certainly look good from the pictures you've provided far) then maybe pulling them out a bit will work.

I must get round to posting some pictures of my S7 Hudswell Clarke. It ended up with chassis overlays and some major re-working of the body!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by spikeyfaz

A lot of engine men in the early Victoria period seemed to wear white trousers and jackets.

Possibly GWR specific ( ? ) a material known as Fustian was used for locomotive drivers clothing during the early period. It was a mixture of cotton with a wool or flax mix and found to have quite hard wearing qualities.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. I note that in MRJ 267 Barry Norman is getting away with using O gauge wheels on S7 axles on his scratchbuilt S7 tram. If the Minerva wheels are reasonably fine profile (certainly look good from the pictures you've provided far) then maybe pulling them out a bit will work.

I must get round to posting some pictures of my S7 Hudswell Clarke. It ended up with chassis overlays and some major re-working of the body!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

For your information, the distance between the outer faces of the splashers is 39.2mm.

CK

Most FineScale O gauge locomotives can be converted to ScaleSeven. The distance outside the faces of the wheel sets for locomotives is 37.67mm to 37.77mm in ScaleSeven. The same dimension in 7mm FineScale standard is 37.0mm (29.0mm Back-to-back plus twice the 3.5mm wheel width) So as long as you have at east 0.4mm extra space between the outside faces of the wheel sets and the inside of the splashers, you have room to convert to ScaleSeven.

• Like 1

Chris/Martin

Thanks for the info. I converted my Hudswell Clarke to S7 by using Slaters wheels on S7 axles. Bushes were reamed out accordingly. However this does all add a bit to the cost. If I can get away with pulling the Manning Wardle wheels out on their axles then that will be handy.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to the Minerva website today, late delivery of the small motors for the Manning Wardle combined with Chinese New Year will delay assembly and delivery of the MW locos to the UK until February. Clearly beyond their control.

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/news/manning-wardle-news/

Unfortunate fact of life when dealing with manufacturing in the Far-East is that the Lunar New Year celebrations halt just about everything for a few weeks. That said, the pre-production sample paint jobs look fantastic, and I can wait a couple of months to get my hands on them. I just wish that there was a green version on offer!

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Agree 1

Manning Wardle News

We are advised that the delivery of the new, smaller motors being manufactured for our Manning Wardles has been delayed by two weeks.  They were due to our factory two days ago, but are not now expected until the 22nd January.  This has disrupted production in our factory, which is in the process of final assembly with all the parts manufactured and painted.

Our main concern now is that production cannot be completed until after Chinese New Year, which will impose a further delay whilst celebrations take place. We are very disappointed this has occurred, and can only apologise for this. The good news is that the first ones will be here next month, subject to no further delays in the manufacturing process or shipping that are beyond Minerva’s control.

Chris and Chris

post-13142-0-51795300-1547287355_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1