Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm fairly certain that MW standard livery was green, but, a third-hand loco might have had a repaint or two.

Chris K,

I think we are at cross-purposes. I originally thought that your locos came: red=spectacles; blue=half-cab; black=full-cab. 

I now understand that all three liveries come with all three options 'in the pack' ..... that is correct, isn't it?

Kevin

Kevin that is indeed correct. My red one came with full cab fitted, and weatherboard and half-cab secure in a little bag in the box, along with a set of tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the avoidance of doubt, all three liveries are supplied with the "full" wrap-over cab. The large and small weather-boards are supplied as extras in the bag of accessories. The photos of the decorated samples showing the red version with small weatherboard and the blue version with the large weatherboard were assembled for us so that we could assess the appearance. In due course, we will offer some guidance, possibly a video, showing how to change them, at owner's risk of course. That must wait while we work to fulfill the many advance orders, especially the DCC fitted models. We will publish some more news on progress next week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

There was a brace of these [red & black] at the EMGOG test track yesterday, much admired & running well. Not including my blue one, as the DCC Sound versions are not yet released.

Dava

18 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

Any chance of getting the Manning Wardle K class compared with the Hudswell Clarke? I am pretty sure the MW is smaller, but I'd like to see it.

Here you go. The Hudswell Clarke is rather pleased to have someone to look down on. 

Minerva_Manning_Wardle_EP1_and_Ixion_Hudswell_Clarke_2.jpg

Hudswell_Clarke_HawkesburyWITH_mANNING_wARDLE_k.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 1

Almost all advance orders for DC and non-sound DCC versions of the Minerva 0 Gauge RTR Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST locomotive have been sent to customers. We have started fitting the DCC sound versions and some will be dispatched this week. We are, however, waiting for a resupply of speakers as we have decided to upgrade the specification. Meanwhile, we have opened the Minerva webshop for sales of the DC version. We will open the webshop for DCC Sound sales as soon as the advance orders have been fulfilled. 

www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk

Minerva_Manning_Wardle_K_130319_014.jpg

Minerva Manning Wardle K 130319_027.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Here you go. The Hudswell Clarke is rather pleased to have someone to look down on. 

Minerva_Manning_Wardle_EP1_and_Ixion_Hudswell_Clarke_2.jpg

Hudswell_Clarke_HawkesburyWITH_mANNING_wARDLE_k.jpg

What a lovely pair! Your Peckett must look like a chunky beast compared to those two little guys :laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have completed my first weathering commission for one of our Minerva 0 gauge RTR Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST locomotives. It seems almost sacrilegious to dishevel such a dainty and pretty locomotive.

CK

Minerva_MW_Red_weathered_AB-1.jpg

Minerva_MW_Red_weathered_AB-3.jpg

Minerva_MW_Red_weathered_AB-6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

1 hour ago, kirtleypete said:

My loco looks a bit different; all the new livery has been done by sticking on paper panels produced on the computer. Other than that, I glazed the spectacles with Krystal Kleer and added some real coal. 

Peter

MANNING 2.jpg

MANNING 1.jpg

MANNING 3.jpg

MANNING 4.jpg

Very nice Peter. I am working up a red open cab version in the calms before the rush of DCC loudspeakers arriving this week.  How easy (or difficult) did you find changing the cab?

Chris K

2 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

A piece of cake Chris, the cab it came with came away easily and the new one just slotted into place.

Now I've got a question - how did they open the smokebox door?! 

Peter

Good question and opinion appears to be split. The most plausible suggestion so far is that the the smokebox door was lifted off the hinge and bodily removed. A previous owner of SHARPETHORNE, currently derelict at Horsted Keynes, cut the door in two in line with the top of the buffer beam and fixed the lower portion in the closed position.

Chris

Manning_Wardle_K_Sharpthorn_300717-030.jpg

Edited by 81A Oldoak
Insert photo.
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

Interesting! I'll instruct the brewery staff accordingly,

Peter

P.S. Good colour match on the printed panels and original body colour. What grade of paper did you use and what was the colour setting for the red? 

Just ordinary Epson gloss paper, it's a bit thick but it gives much better definition than matt paper. I give it a coat of Microscale satin varnish to seal the surface. The red is just a standard colour on the Serif Pageplus software I use, it was pure luck that it happened to match so well and saved me a lot of time and effort. This is the original artwork, before being resized:

MANNING WARDLE ARTWORK 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 minute ago, kirtleypete said:

Just ordinary Epson gloss paper, it's a bit thick but it gives much better definition than matt paper. I give it a coat of Microscale satin varnish to seal the surface. The red is just a standard colour on the Serif Pageplus software I use, it was pure luck that it happened to match so well and saved me a lot of time and effort. This is the original artwork, before being resized:

MANNING WARDLE ARTWORK 2.jpg

It is very effective. Chris B and I were amazed at how quickly you converted the loco given that it was only delivered, I think,  yesterday. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why not try white transfer paper, it’s thinner and should give an equally good finish? 

Paul Martin of EDM is experimenting with painting transfer paper on his blog and lining it by hand before applying the transfer so you get a genuine paint finish if printing can’t match exactly. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've heard that up at Mynydd Mawr brick works in north Wales, there is a (noisy) green one!

Unfortunately, I'm going away tomorrow, so weathering is going to have to wait until I get back from my holidays in a week's time. I'm also not fitting the cab steps until everything else is done as they appear rather fragile...although I'm sure they will be absolutely fine once I stop handling the thing.

NEW PICTURES OF FINISHED (WEATHERED) LOCO NOW POSTED ON NEXT PAGE..............................

DSCF1549.JPG

DSCF1550.JPG

Edited by orford
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Got my blue one yesterday and it`s really great!! Not only because it`s looking so pretty, but also because of its slow running qualities and last but not least the "Paul Chetter Sound" is  more than stunning ! A very short video added:

Bernd

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 29/03/2019 at 21:22, orford said:

I've heard that up at Mynydd Mawr brick works in north Wales, there is a (noisy) green one!

Unfortunately, I'm going away tomorrow, so weathering is going to have to wait until I get back from my holidays in a week's time. I'm also not fitting the cab steps until everything else is done as they appear rather fragile...although I'm sure they will be absolutely fine once I stop handling the thing.

DSCF1549.JPG

DSCF1550.JPG

Your loco looks so smart in green and very much at home in your brickworks! What a lovely scene. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1