The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bill Maynard, R.I.P.

Ceptic

Best remembered, most recently, as 'Greengrass' in 'Heartbeat'. Before that as 'Selwyn Froggitt'. Before that as 'The Gaffer'.  Before that as 'Sgt. Beetroot' in 'Wurzel Gummidge'. These, interspersed with roles in numerous, typically British 'Carry On' films.

I best remember him as as a stand up comic, during the days of black 'n' white tv, teamed up with another comic, turned actor, Dave King.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43596854

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Gold

Sad news, I had a couple of pints with him one night in the inn on the moor in Goathland in the 90s when he was filming heartbeat.

He was an absolute scream with a very sick sence of humor.

As we were both a bit worse for wear and possibly a bit loud we managed to upset an old couple much to Bill's amusement

RIP Bill

RIP Bill, he used to live not far from us and we occasionally saw him out and about. I remember he played a temporary Flying Squad guv'nor called Commander Quirk in The Sweeney for one episode while Haskins was away.

RIP Bill, he used to live not far from us and we occasionally saw him out and about. I remember he played a temporary Flying Squad guv'nor called Commander Quirk in The Sweeney for one episode while Haskins was away.

In The Gaffer, he always opened the show by chucking yet another parking ticket into the back of a battered Rover P6.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I stand to be corrected but didn't Bill win quiet a lot of money on the National Lottery in it's early days while he was working on Heartbeat?

Guy

You mean personally or as Greengrass?

An often repeated line when looking for sympathy was, 'I'm almost an OAP'.