RMweb

Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

Is that a skip loaded with Lego I saw today? A recent delivery of the stuff!

Sadly, the skip on the drive arrived empty and I do feel I missed a trick there... the 4 yard skip replaced an 8 yard one and I'm curious how much Lego I could have had delivered in those two? I reckon I'd have been alright for a layout or two in the future...

I'm also left wondering what a 50 sq m patio made of multicoloured Lego would look like? I think it would look terrific. Indian Sandstone is so yesterday...

In other layout-related news, there isn't any, sorry. I'm still fiddling about with the ramp up from Platform 16. Can't make my mind up whether to use the Auhagen skylights (too European?) or the Ratio ones, which to me look more like allotment cold frames.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In other layout-related news, there isn't any, sorry. I'm still fiddling about with the ramp up from Platform 16. Can't make my mind up whether to use the Auhagen skylights (too European?) or the Ratio ones, which to me look more like allotment cold frames.

So therefore build your own, you know you want to!

QED.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

There's a model shop at Northrepps?

Model scenery supplies, he builds base boards but has a good stock of scenic items and the full range of ID back scenes.

Run by a great bloke called Paul

He also does a lot of linka moulds

• Like 1

...I'm also left wondering what a 50 sq m patio made of multicoloured Lego would look like? I think it would look terrific. Indian Sandstone is so yesterday...

Give these people a call:

https://www.jpconcrete.co.uk/concrete-lego-blocks/

or 

http://www.everblocksystems.com/modular-construction-industrial-applications/

http://www.everblocksystems.com/garden-border-edging/

• Like 1

Pete

My thoughts on the ramp ( without any knowledge of the actual site) is that the ramp would have a full width landing at the platform entrance. The area of flat roof above would be the ideal place for a roof light.

Having said that, I have come across stations with the half landing and steps as you have shown. It would depend of the number of passengers expected to use the entrance.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I haven't any knowledge of the original but as skylights are to get light in where it is not available from other sources I cant see them putting one directly above where those windows are. I'd go for just one in the lower position in your second photo. If you did go fo two Id put ths second one further uphill.

Great work as usual Pete

Thanks guys. It's a tricky one to judge...

There's a decent view of the ramp and single skylight in the 5th picture down in this link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127688-kings-cross-york-road-suburban-platforms/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2951810

Many thanks to Mike Trice for posting his original photos over on the prototype Kings Cross thread, they've been really useful.

Also thanks to Mike, the only shot I've ever seen showing the interior of the ramp (including the skylight). Last photo in this link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127688-kings-cross-york-road-suburban-platforms/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2951967

• Like 2

A dilemma because asthetically two look better

But in terms of evoking the mood of the place which as a 10/11 year old always felt dark and gloomy a single skylight is it. But then we don't have 1/76th people who can express that moodiness

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which ever way you go with the number of skylights (and my guess would be that they are over the area of the join with the higher platform, to make sure that the change in the slope is very well lit Edit, looking at Mikes photo, it appears that this is not the case, but it does just about show that there seems to be a landing at the junction with Platform 17) can you shave the bottom of the coldframe down so that the lights themselves sit much closer to the roof, and therefore look less like cold frames?

Andy G

Edited after looking at Mikes photos.....

Edited by uax6

...can you shave the bottom of the coldframe down so that the lights themselves sit much closer to the roof, and therefore look less like cold frames?

Absolutely. The "cold frame" look was bothering me. The skylight(s) will sit in a recess. The roof is likely to be 1.5mm plasticard topped with 1 or 1.5mm fab foam to give a slight texture. That should substantially reduce the height of the sides, looking much more like the original.

• Like 1

There was no ramp to access platform 17, it was just a couple of steps, thin one end,  three /four steps the other as the ramp went down.

Ah. That I did not know. It just goes to show that it's dangerous to assume things. I think it was always a much better (safer?) idea to try and give this a "feel" of Kings Cross suburban, rather than try to go for something totally authentic. Without a time machine, or thousands more prototype pictures than actually exist, I reckon an accurate model is impossible. For that reason, I may go for the two skylights, based on nothing more than aesthetics.

• Like 3

But post 243 in the othe thread in the last photo clearly shows it was a ramp

I can't recall if steps at the top and bottom at that age was more concerned if we would get thevfrontbseatsvon the Cravens and hoping the driver had left the blinds up ;-)

• Like 1