RMweb

Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I remember at the time of Hornby's 2018 announcement them saying that a number of items had been held back and would be announced when there was sufficient progress, or at least something on those lines. I think it was seen at the time as an intervention by the new management team to reduce the number of new announcements due the Hornby's financial position and whether all the items would go ahead.

Presumably these "29 surprises" are what's left of the original 2018 announcements that Hornby can now confirm are going ahead, with some nearer to production than others and some new tooling, others reliveries of existing models. If so, then the different clues may all be in there.

• RMweb Gold

I would very much like a Brighton K3 mogul.

I'm just wondering how far north they worked. Reading-Oxford, perchance?

Cheers,

Ian.

I never saw on anywhere near reading (but I wasn't there all the time of course).  However Brighton engines seemed to stay on the Brighton section other than in the war when I believe some were sent to Old Oak to substitute for GWR engines which had gone to WD use, according to those there at the time they were very unpopular and spent most of their time dumped on one side.  I always liked the look of the Brighton moguls and was lucky enough (and old enough) to have seen them in steam, lovely looking engines.

Edited by The Stationmaster

I never saw on anywhere near reading (but I wasn't there all the time of course).  However Brighton engines seemed to stay on the Brighton section other than in the war when I believe some were sent to Old Oak to substitute for GWR engines which had gone to WD use, according to those there at the time they were very unpopular and spent most of their time dumped on one side.  I always liked the look of the Brighton moguls and was lucky enough (and old enough) to have seen them in steam, lovely looking engines.

The rebuilt remembrance locos, N15x, used to work to Reading i seem to recall.

We are told that the release programs are planned years in advance so did Hornby hold back 29 models from this years catalogue to release/ announce now or is it more likely to be the absorption of some of the oxford range and a couple of reliveries?

Mark

Hmmmmm....

New Railroad locos and rolling stock:  Dean Goods, Adams Radials in last BR livery, with and without factory weathering, N7, 7 plank wagons and cattle trucks.... 

I think I'll go and have a lie down :senile:

Looks like an Avonside B4 to me. (I know, I'm ages too late as usual!). Now, if Hornby made one of those my wallet would be in serious trouble.........make the motor and gears small enough, and the Avonside B3  (very cute) could go on the same chassis.

Edited by Tiptonian

So the consensus is, it's a steam loco ? Oh well, nothing for me then.........

No, the consensus on here might be speculating that it is a tea-urn but the reality is no-one really has a clue outside Hornby Towers so it could be anything.

I'm not optimistic, but who knows.

• Like 3

I'm sure I remember at the time of Hornby's 2018 announcement them saying that a number of items had been held back and would be announced when there was sufficient progress, or at least something on those lines. I think it was seen at the time as an intervention by the new management team to reduce the number of new announcements due the Hornby's financial position and whether all the items would go ahead.

Presumably these "29 surprises" are what's left of the original 2018 announcements that Hornby can now confirm are going ahead, with some nearer to production than others and some new tooling, others reliveries of existing models. If so, then the different clues may all be in there.

I hope you’re right. Roll on GW non corridor stock, a Saint and some new GWR vans - large minks would be a good choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope you’re right. Roll on GW non corridor stock, a Saint and some new GWR vans - large minks would be a good choice.

All r-t-r Minks (and Mogos, and Fruit vans, and Micas) so far have been "large" or, more-to-the-point, too wide.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Don't the press often get a pre release?

It’ll be embargoed! You will know if it appears in the next editions of Hornby Mag, Railway Modeller , which I think are due end this week or next . And that’s fair enough, it’s where one mag leaks it or it gets out in the open but no one is allowed to discuss it until the end of embargo when it becomes absurd. I always think Bachmann does it extremely well. Everyone knows at the same time

• RMweb Gold

It’ll be embargoed! You will know if it appears in the next editions of Hornby Mag, Railway Modeller , which I think are due end this week or next . And that’s fair enough, it’s where one mag leaks it or it gets out in the open but no one is allowed to discuss it until the end of embargo when it becomes absurd. I always think Bachmann does it extremely well. Everyone knows at the same time

IIRC, press embargoes worked reasonably well when all the mags were published calendar-monthly and emerged within a few days of one another.

The system started to fall apart when some titles went four-weekly and became completely useless when the monthlies began racing each other to be first in the shops.

John

• RMweb Premium

One "vital" question doesn't seem to have been asked  -  what TIME tomorrow ?

I would prefer it to be after breakfast, so much more civilised.

Good question Phil,

Got to be sat by the computer at the ready to say "Wow never thought I would see that in RTR"

Or "It is only a repaint /revamp of their existing model"

Or "There is nothing for me.....................again."

Any one know what time?

I do hope it is a tram, my mate will be very happy.

• RMweb Gold

It's not in the new Toddler.

One "vital" question doesn't seem to have been asked - what TIME tomorrow ?

I would prefer it to be after breakfast, so much more civilised.

Most of Hornby's announcements are at 10:00am or 12:00pm. So possibly at one of those times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, press embargoes worked reasonably well when all the mags were published calendar-monthly and emerged within a few days of one another.

The system started to fall apart when some titles went four-weekly and became completely useless when the monthlies began racing each other to be first in the shops.

John

Also the time of year when it happened ie Christmas . These days are past . In the internet generation we should all receive news at sametime . This is hopefully the lesson learned from the former success of Engine Shed

• Like 1

Well there was nothing in the new Model Rail that I received on Saturday.

Definitely Peckett buffers.

Jason

No, we didn't get it until after that issue had gone to press. Anyway it's embargoed until the 8th so we couldn't put it in an issue that publishes before the 8th. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Premium

I am sure there will be Peckett related news.

Paul Isles posted the below on the 8th of December in the Peckett thread, most people took it to mean there would be new pecketts annouced in the January announcement and there wasn't.

attachicon.gifWorks.docx

Good morning all - time to look ahead to future liveries for the Peckett W4 models. As you all know by now, there are 'early' and 'late' versions, of which we've concentrated on the 'early' variants. I have a long list of W4 locomotives that I have no picture references for or, if I do, they're so grainy that identification is impossible. There are potentially some cracking liveries lurking here; Bristol Gas Co. James Dunlop, United Alkali, Rowlands etc and I wonder if any of you have references, notes, book plates or have collected prints of any of the locos on the attached list please? You can PM if you'd like to remain anonymous to the forum, or post if you're not bothered, but however you respond, there'll be thanks from me chaps.

If I don't say so before, Happy Christmas to you all and we look forward to seeing you at the shows next year.

Best wishes,

Paul.

PS: Remember to keep 10:00am on January 8th free for your 'froth' satisfaction :-)

Looks like an Avonside B4 to me. (I know, I'm ages too late as usual!). Now, if Hornby made one of those my wallet would be in serious trouble.........make the motor and gears small enough, and the Avonside B3  (very cute) could go on the same chassis.

Indeed it is. His name is Robert (so named by the folk at MR Butterley museum when it stayed there for a while) and given the Number 8. He was originally Avonside 2068, built for the Lamport mines, then went to Foxfield, before entering preservation at Peak Rail, then Midland Railway at Butterley. London Docklands Development Co bought him, had him slightly modified at Kew Steam Museum, so he looked like he used to work at Beckton Gas Works, where he was plonked for some years until heavily vandalised. Newham adopted him and relocated him to the front of Stratford Station. That is where I came in - as part of the 2012 Olympics railway works, we had to move him out of the way for few years whilst we did our stuff, and the deal reached was that we would pay to move him to the East Anglia Railway museum, and for him to have a cosmetic re-paint whilst there. I am on film somewhere in Anglia TV's archives, pretending to help with the restoration. We then brought him back in time for 2012, gleaming until the pigeons came back....

I make that 9 different locations (including Bristol works), probably 5 different liveries (or coats of new paint), 2 different numbers, 7 different owners and 6 wheels = 29!!!

Could this be it????

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 4