BR / WR 56xx Tanks...how far west did they get?

Rugd1022

Simple question really, did any of these compact 0-6-2 Tanks get very far in the West Country back in BR days? I've been through all of my books and haven't found any evidence of them venturing much past Bristol.... but then you never know what might turn up.... any help much appreciated ta!

Cheers, Nidge wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

West of Exeter in BR days is my area of interest and I'm afraid i've never come across any evidence of them down this way.

There was a rumour that one was based at Newton Abbot for a bit but I believe common consensus now is that this was just a number typo in one of the allocation guides.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I asked this question on the previous version of RMweb and I have to agree with Taz.I would love to be proved wrong though as I too have the excellent Bachmann model although in GW days.

According to Locomotives Illustrated No 66 GW 0-6-2T's, the allocation in 1938 was 6600 at St Phillips Marsh and 5689 and 6690 at Westbury.

In 1957, SPM had 5642, 6601/30/56/70/71, whereas Westbury had 5689 and 6625.

So it appears that that 56xx's did not live further West. However, I am sure I saw Welsh shedded tanks being repaired/serviced at Newton Abbott Works in the the 50's, so some may have strayed.

According to Locomotives Illustrated No 66 GW 0-6-2T's, the allocation in 1938 was 6600 at St Phillips Marsh and 5689 and 6690 at Westbury.

In 1957, SPM had 5642, 6601/30/56/70/71, whereas Westbury had 5689 and 6625.

So it appears that that 56xx's did not live further West. However, I am sure I saw Welsh shedded tanks being repaired/serviced at Newton Abbott Works in the the 50's, so some may have strayed.

Many thanks for that Old Sutt ;O)

Nidge

Some 56xx's certainly visited Newton Abbot Factory over the years for attention. Westbury's 5689 and Merthyr's 5696 being two I have seen written evidence of. I have a poor quality image in my collection of one inside the works dated March 1958 but it has it's tanks removed and is bunker towards the camera so can't be identified.

The often misquoted allocation of 6614 to 83A in the late 1950's was discussed on the old RMWeb so I won't rake over those coals again!

Andy.

Archived