The Guardian: "Millions of trees at risk in secretive Network Rail felling programme"

It seems like but yesterday that Network Rail were threatening to take legal action against residents of part of Bristol. The residents, in Montpellier, if I remember correctly,had hired tree-surgeons to clear trees on a cutting side that 'blocked the view' from their houses. It would seem like the railway can never win.

It seems like but yesterday that Network Rail were threatening to take legal action against residents of part of Bristol. The residents, in Montpellier, if I remember correctly,had hired tree-surgeons to clear trees on a cutting side that 'blocked the view' from their houses. It would seem like the railway can never win.

That was a completely different situation.

The problem there was not the fact that the trees were being cut but that it was being carried out by non (rail safety) trained staff, without network rail knowledge and without any sort of look outs or protection and whilst trains were still running.

Discussed at some length on "another forum".  NR chose to take no action in the end, though why is unclear: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/no-action-taken-against-residents-1335532.  Perhaps they decided that there could be perceived to be a degree of fault on their part - maybe a lack of clarity in the communications with the residents?  I'm struggling to think of any other reason why what looked like blatant trespass creating a significant safety risk should be let ride.

Edited by ejstubbs

It is a delicate problem,  on one side the trees stabilise the lineside with their root structures and capacity to extract water from the soil, on the other side  a round-the-clock operation of railhead treatment  trains during leaf fall season to keep the service operationally safe

Trees on railway embankments are a menace, those lovely roots are not stabilizing the embankment or cutting side when there is any wind they are pulling on it. Extracting water from an embankment will often cause it to shrink, in dry summer weather you can often see a dip in the track as it passes a large tree growing out of the side of an embankment. Also by shading out ground cover they can expose the underlying soil which may then be eroded by animals or rainwater. The proper thing to grow on embankments and cutting slopes is grass.

• Like 1

The proper thing to grow on embankments and cutting slopes is grass.

Which is a lot easier to apply using one of those static grass applicators than making lots of trees .....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a bit of harmless fun reading some of the comments sections on this story last night. Although it was good fun it sort of highlighted the fundamental problem with democracy in that all the ill informed idiots ranting about Network Rail's dirty "secret" are allowed to vote.

I had a bit of harmless fun reading some of the comments sections on this story last night. Although it was good fun it sort of highlighted the fundamental problem with democracy in that all the ill informed idiots ranting about Network Rail's dirty "secret" are allowed to vote.

Any problems with democracy are dwarfed by the consequences of attitudes like these

How true your statement is, then not only allowed to vote but having the front to demand a re-vote when they do not get their own way.

However not against them having to add to tree planting scheme in appropriate places 

How true your statement is, then not only allowed to vote but having the front to demand a re-vote when they do not get their own way.

However not against them having to add to tree planting scheme in appropriate places 

On the wider subject of democracy there was an interesting point made in a Long Read piece in the Guardian. The writer stated as one of the fundamentals of democracy is that voters have to live with the outcome. This was a major flaw with the EU referendum, three major flaws actually:

1. EU membership actually made very little impact on the lives of some two thirds of voters

2. Several million people for whom leaving the EU would have a potentially serious impact on their lives were denied a vote. Plenty enough to swing the result.

3. The campaign, particularly on the Leave side, sought to prevent proper examination of the outcome.

These flaws, especially the third one, are why the referendum settled nothing and why the issue is still bitter two years on. Those who will have to live with the outcome, be they citizens facing bureaucratic nightmare (the Windrush trap will also trap a couple of million legally settled EU citizens living in Britain if the Home Office doesn't change its approach), or businesses facing extra costs and supply and delivery problems resent this being forced on them by voters for whom living with the outcome is little different from what they had before and who voted just on feelings.

On the wider subject of democracy there was an interesting point made in a Long Read piece in the Guardian. The writer stated as one of the fundamentals of democracy is that voters have to live with the outcome. This was a major flaw with the EU referendum, three major flaws actually:

1. EU membership actually made very little impact on the lives of some two thirds of voters

2. Several million people for whom leaving the EU would have a potentially serious impact on their lives were denied a vote. Plenty enough to swing the result.

3. The campaign, particularly on the Leave side, sought to prevent proper examination of the outcome.

These flaws, especially the third one, are why the referendum settled nothing and why the issue is still bitter two years on. Those who will have to live with the outcome, be they citizens facing bureaucratic nightmare (the Windrush trap will also trap a couple of million legally settled EU citizens living in Britain if the Home Office doesn't change its approach), or businesses facing extra costs and supply and delivery problems resent this being forced on them by voters for whom living with the outcome is little different from what they had before and who voted just on feelings.

3. The Leave Campaign STILL have no better idea of what the outcome is actually going to be after umpteen months of 'negotiations' ................ while most issues seem to be heading for a compromise we'll have to wait and see what happens about the Irish border : Hard or Soft will NOT satisfy everyone ........ Squidgy will not satisfy ANYONE !

OK - how long before this thread gets terminated as getting too political ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm all for thread drift normally, but let's just not go there.

On reflection my comment about some of the comments in media forums was probably not the best thing to say given where it could lead.

On reflection my comment about some of the comments in media forums was probably not the best thing to say given where it could lead.

Well, at the very least, it does highlight that the "ill informed" comments you noted in the Guardian, are coming from the very same sort of self-important people who have been bombarding the comments sections with accusations that the ill-educated lower orders are thick and also don't deserve the vote (regards Brexit).

The well educated and well read can equally be as t'ick as shoit, when it comes to pontificating on matters they have little understanding of.

Well, at the very least, it does highlight that the "ill informed" comments you noted in the Guardian, are coming from the very same sort of self-important people who have been bombarding the comments sections with accusations that the ill-educated lower orders are thick and also don't deserve the vote (regards Brexit).

The well educated and well read can equally be as t'ick as shoit, when it comes to pontificating on matters they have little understanding of.

Sorry for continuing thread drift but does anyone else remember the BBC TV News interview with voters the day after the referendum ?

Specifically, the guy they spoke to who said (and I think I'm quoting pretty much verbatim)

"Well........I didn't really want to leave, but I voted leave anyway..............and I'm really surprised at the result"

Beggers belief.......!!!

It's precisely this chip on shoulder rubbish that is making things so difficult.

• RMweb Premium

I think I'll stick to commenting on how Network Rail are making it easier to model cuttings .......

Easier? Cutting trees down in a cutting leaves quite a lot of leaves and cuttings filling the cutting if someone leaves them there, so you may have to go about recutting your cutting due to all the cuttings if you get carried away.

That's not easier, it's confusing!