Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Decided I may as well get Cyberpunk at the weekend, since it supposedly works well enough on PCs. Only had some minor glitches (hovering objects, the odd UI element not vanishing when it should).

There are quite a few nods and references to other things, such as the description for the crowbar - "Favoured by burglars and MIT theoretical physicists."

7 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Decided I may as well get Cyberpunk at the weekend, since it supposedly works well enough on PCs. Only had some minor glitches (hovering objects, the odd UI element not vanishing when it should).

On the Series S the sticky UI elements seem fixed.

Still get hovering things and I get the odd problem with guns that won't fire if you have the aim button pressed.

Overall it works pretty well and I haven't hit anything game breaking.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 30801 said:

On the Series S the sticky UI elements seem fixed.

Still get hovering things and I get the odd problem with guns that won't fire if you have the aim button pressed.

Overall it works pretty well and I haven't hit anything game breaking.

The worst I've had was a door not opening after a mission so I had to reload and replay the boss fight (worked after that).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Good for retailers as well as consumers. I know of at least one retailer who's online systems got taken out due to the volume of bots simulating orders of consoles when they were released, all the way through to the basket. It effectively DDOS'd the site and led to genuine customers being unable to access the site.

• Agree 1

I've been informed in a further attempt to distance itself from its knackered, coal driven, spinning hard disk (how quaint!) previous hardware, Sony will be ditching Communities in the forthcoming v8.50 PS4 OS update. This comes after destroying much of the synergy between the console and the PlayStation 'phone application. Thanks Sony. 

Nothing new in this of course, Apple have often been keen to put old gear out to the lacking support pasture when a new shiny desktop range launches usually with an accompanying new OS. 

It's the rapidity with which it's been done that I find tiresome. It has only been recently announced that there'll be less support for PS3 in the Store, fine no great hardship. Making the PS4 less user attractive before many people can get hold of the new kit on the block just seems a bit premature to me.

C6T. 

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

With the PS3 element of the PS Store closing this summer I'm having another look at the games on offer. Two rules, PS3 versions only and nothing that can be picked up for change as a physical copy pre-owned.

Bit of a snag prior to that though was the console turning itself off due to high temperature! A going over with the vacuum cleaner nozzle to clean out the dust sorted it out however. 

Handily many of the titles attracting my attention have demo's to try and as there's little in the way of discounts, definitely welcome to prevent outlay on lemons. 

Speaking of which, Scourge: Outbreak.

On face value, very "me". Third person, sci-fi, cover team shooter.

Mass Effect it ain't. If it at least played alright I'd probably have had it though.

Earlier up thread I'd mentioned a preference for graphical fidelity over framerate. This game unfortunately will drop to a refresh speed lower than an Eastern Bloc animation from the 1970s. In a shooting game!

Lack of consistency in damage dealt by weapons, frustrating combat controls and the asking price added to the rapidity with which this demo was deleted.

Still a number of more titles to have a look at, more on those anon. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

Three more PS3 demo's played today.

Karateka. Pleasant enough beat-em-up but the risk of becoming dull and repetitive quickly outweighed the full game's £7.99 asking price. Deleted.

Blade Kitten. Colourful 2.5D platformer with satisfying puzzle and combat elements. Purchased.

Sideway: New York. I really liked this one! Bright action puzzle platformer with an interesting meld of two and three dimensional gameplay. Unfortunately although the demo is still available on PS Store, the full game is not! Click the link for details. Available on Steam should PC gamers fancy a punt however.

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

More on the PS3 side of things.

She started making a god awful racket yesterday, quite alarming, as it is the quietest of all my Sony hardware. Having had similar happen to the PS2, and befitting of delicate precision equipment, a gentle clout and blow in her holes sorted her out! (This can happen after dust clearance I've found, a particle of something will get in a fan bearing or something, it actually sounds a lot worse than it is.)

More purchases before the Store shuts up shop. 

Full versions of Naughty Bear: Panic In Paradise and Starhawk having had the demo's for a while. Also, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One was bought. I believe it's the only R&C title I haven't played, is unlikely to see a port to a more modern console and, for reasons that escape me, is advertised for ridiculous sums on eBay.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

4 hours ago, SHMD said:

I must admit that something electronic going obsolete soon would prevent me from investing more in it.

Kev.

Strangely enough Kev, after the initial temperature auto-off palaver, I did look into replacement. Best deal was from CEX, 12Gb Slim (anything more would be extravagant as I'd be jamming my incumbent HDD into it) £70. I now get CEX ads plastered over RMweb BTW!

The PS3 is still the favoured hardware for watching streaming TV*, bog standard blu-ray and dvd movies and has an extensive library of (rough around the edges but) cracking games. So obsolete perhaps, but I'd be loath to be without it.

C6T.

*Odd thing, having spent not an insubstantial amount on a honking geet LG telly, I find LG/Channel 4/Freeview (I forget the details) didn't sign deals, so All4 isn't on it!

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 2

Anyone fancying a different take on racing, the FIA European Truck Racing game is free on Xbox Games with Gold at the mo. I don't know if it's any good yet, I've just started downloading it. It's available for the rest of April.

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Have been playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla quite happily until I got to Vinland and spent ages banging rocks to collect enough iron ore to trade for a full set of Native American gear. Now I'm back in England can I use it? No I sodding can't :(

• RMweb Gold

...I'm still banging away at Fortnite, but tonight's win brought up the "10 wins Banner" for the season!

:)

image.png.14e49acb7175839fadebc3d9d2beb086.png

Kev.

The question now is, do I buy the Legendary Edition Mass Effect on release (May 14th calendar fans) start playing on the (not Pro) PS4, or wait until I manage to nab a PS5 and play it in all its 4K hi-def loveliness?

Nothing to stop me purchasing the physical game on release for a number of good reasons. One to show EA/BioWare if they release a game I like I will give them my money, with the additional implication that the Mass Effect franchise has a loyal fan base.

A little like the Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac catalogues, I've owned Dark Side of the Moon and Rumours on multiple formats and would gladly pay for ME again. Though I fear getting those bands back together is somewhat easier than re-bottling the genie that a large number of people involved with ME were required to do, so a canon addition seems a hard ask. 

Perhaps more akin to Star Wars then. An equally vocal fan base, some of whom should probably calm down a bit! (The planet resource mining in ME2 is lovely chill gaming dude, like ballasting a layout!)

Mass Effect remains my desert island computer game(s) of choice (yes the island has electric and that) so forgive this love letter, and if you've never played it, then nab a copy pre-owned and enjoy. I will, again.

C6T. 

• Like 2