RMweb

HAYMARKET SNOWPLOUGH No. 988

Hello,

Has anyone got any history for the attached large snowplough No. 988 photographed at Haymarket?

I found a reference to 'ADB988' scrapped at Booth-Roe Metals, Rotherham in 1/99, but was this the same unit?

Many thanks,

Nick.

post-19032-0-79560500-1526219921_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Has anyone got any history for the attached large snowplough No. 988 photographed at Haymarket?

I found a reference to 'ADB988' scrapped at Booth-Roe Metals, Rotherham in 1/99, but was this the same unit?

Many thanks,

Nick.

It would seem to be likely - below is what appears to be a later photo.

post-2274-0-57137400-1526222366.jpg

(Copyright Alex Betteney)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick

Snowplough 988 was one of a batch built for the North Eastern Region at Gorton Works in 1957-8. They were built on ex GCR class J11 tender underframes. A drawing appears in Railway Snowploughs of the North East by David and Claire Williamson.

I cannot find a record of 988 being allocated outside of the NER or of another snowplough with the same number or last 3 digits as some ER ploughs displayed. The only independent ploughs I have come across in ScR service are BR ploughs and the two (one at Eastfield and one at Ayr) which were LNER tenders with ex CR ploughs which had previously been mounted on Jumbo and later 4F 0-6-0 locomotives. Was 988 allocated outside the NER to return later?

post-16423-0-66360700-1526224033.jpg

My model of a North Eastern Region snowplough with a BR independent snowplough and a converted 08.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Thanks very much Clive and John,

I am completely in the dark as to the allocation of this unit and am trying to find out as much as I can on behalf of another party.

Anything else which may help to pin down this vehicle and its movement history would be most interesting and gratefully received and of course acknowledged.

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Clive and John,

I am completely in the dark as to the allocation of this unit and am trying to find out as much as I can on behalf of another party.

Anything else which may help to pin down this vehicle and its movement history would be most interesting and gratefully received and of course acknowledged.

Nick.

Hi Nick

From the book I have already mentioned 988 was at Gateshead with 985/6 and 7 in 1967, Darlington with 987 in 1979 and Thornaby in 1986, again paired with 987.

Could its appearance at Haymarket been where it had been used to patrol the line between Newcastle and Edinburgh and it was waiting to return home? Or for Scottish crews to get use to driving with a plough in front prior to the introduction of the BR independent ploughs? 

Quite likely Clive.

Is there any info on the earlier history of the unit since its delivery?   Was it based at Gateshead since day one?

Paul Bartlett's site mentions the unit was one a batch which incorporated the tender frames of J11 engines.  Would this imply they were built at Gorton?

• RMweb Premium

Quite likely Clive.

Is there any info on the earlier history of the unit since its delivery?   Was it based at Gateshead since day one?

Paul Bartlett's site mentions the unit was one a batch which incorporated the tender frames of J11 engines.  Would this imply they were built at Gorton?

Hi Nick

The book does not give any earlier history, it gives the allocation of the NER built ploughs from 1895 to 1986, one year per decade and for the 1950s it is 1956, before the Gorton batch was built. TE988 is not a number I have encountered with regard to snowploughs.

Yes the batch used ex GCR J11 frames from locos that were being scraped at Gorton at the time.

When I built my model I used Paul's photos and I presumed they were on NER tender underframes so the spacing is a little out 6 ft 4 ins + 6 ft 4 ins not 6 ft 6 ins + 6 ft 6 ins of a GCR tender. and I have found out the cab is 2 mm too long since getting the above book. :O

Guys

I am fairly sure snowploughs were long gone from Haymarket by 1/99 as stated above so this must have been stored elsewhere before it was cut up possibly at Slateford or Millerhill even maybe at Booths for a bit before being cut

I am sure in 99 Scottish ploughs were based at Motherwell Carstairs and Inverness

Dave

Platform 5's "Track Machines" book of 1984 lists ADB988 at Thornaby with ADB987, described as "Large Plough with Guards Compartment", of which there were 11:

981/982 at TY (Tyne Yard?),

983/984/985/986 at GD,

987/988 at TE (Thornaby),

990 at YK (York) and

991/992 at HM (Healey Mills). All prefixed ADB

They also list 7 ADE-prefixed "Tender-Mounted Large Plough":

965 YK

979 Norwich

321012 ED (Eastfield)

330635 Worksop

330966 SB (Shirebrook?)

330982 SB

330983 YK

And 9 ADE-prefix "Tender-Mounted Medium Plough":

330917 Worksop

330964 LN (Lincoln)

330968 CR (Colchester?)

330970 SF (Stratford)

330974 CA (Cambridge)

330975 CA

330976 SF

330977 CR

330978 LN

Edit: the 1983 RCTS loco stock book has more technical info. The batch including 988 shows: 

Type code ZZP B

RA 1

Weight 32t

Max 45 mph

Length 28 feet

Hand Brake only

Edited by eastwestdivide

Many thanks for the extra info chaps.

This will be most useful.

I believe the photograph (along with one other taken on the same occasion) will be used either in an article or a book so I will ensure the information which you have given me will be properly credited. 

Cheers,

Nick.

All

Having looked at the picture above I with the plough and the 37 in the background I am almost certain it's at Thornaby or Tees Yard hopefully somebody with more knowledge of the North East can confirm 37341 was a Thornaby loco but was stored in 94 this could be the Thornaby scrap line note the open bonnet door the 37 wasn't cut up until 03 so shows just how long items can be stored before cutting up

Dave

Brilliant - thanks for all your efforts guys.

Enjoyed the YouTube video as well.  As I've said, although I'm nowhere near being 'modern image', how much more interesting things were in the late 80's compared with today!

Nick. 

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I am still unsure why 988 would be off region?  I am not familiar with Haymarket shed and have tried to find photos of it on the internet so I can confirm it is Haymarket to myself, I am not doubting you but I always like to double check things for myself. I think I have found one photo of the small building but from the other side, the lights/telegraph pole sticking out the wagon is the same, so I accept it is Haymarket, in the late 50s very early sixties before it was rebuilt for diesel traction? The livery of 988 also suggest that sort of date. But what is it doing there? I would like to know. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

All

I would say it has been drafted in to replace a broken or unavailable SCR plough

The Scottish Region didn't get any independent snowploughs until 1964/5 by then Haymarket was under reconstruction and the roof of the main shed was changed from what we can see in the photo. Up until then ploughs were fitted to the front of steam locos. As I said earlier It might have been used to patrol the mainline between Newcastle and Edinburgh or some training of loco crews in the use of independent ploughs.

The Scottish Region didn't get any independent snowploughs until 1964/5 by then Haymarket was under reconstruction and the roof of the main shed was changed from what we can see in the photo. Up until then ploughs were fitted to the front of steam locos. As I said earlier It might have been used to patrol the mainline between Newcastle and Edinburgh or some training of loco crews in the use of independent ploughs.

Hi Clive,

I've definitely confirmed the building as being Haymarket from '50's/'60's photographs - but as you say, what the unit was doing there is anybody's good guess.  I like the 'patrol' notion and also the training one. The allocation of a snowplough of this type to Haymarket is not mentioned in Harry Knox's book on the shed (published by Lightmoor) so I'm inclined to the idea that it was the Thornaby vehicle in use for either of the suggested reasons given.

Cheers,

Nick.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Hi

Does anyone know if there are more photos of this Snow Plough It would make a very good addition to my Haymarket Layout.

More photos or any information would enable me to possibly scratch build one.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Does anyone know if there are more photos of this Snow Plough It would make a very good addition to my Haymarket Layout.

More photos or any information would enable me to possibly scratch build one.

Regards

David

As I mentioned in post no 3 "A drawing appears in Railway Snowploughs of the North East by David and Claire Williamson."

Paul Bartlett's BR wagon site has quite a few photos of the Gorton built NER snowploughs. 

As I mentioned in post no 3 "A drawing appears in Railway Snowploughs of the North East by David and Claire Williamson."

Paul Bartlett's BR wagon site has quite a few photos of the Gorton built NER snowploughs. 

Hi Clive

Many thanks for the information its much appreciated.

Regards

David