Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

I have a Southeast Finecast model of the E1, completed in early BR livery as IoW W4 'Wroxall'. Wonderful engine, and one of my favourites. Never thought there would be a RTR version of it though!

I will certainly be pre-ordering the IEG version of the Rapido model.

Edited by andrewwaite1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they do.

An EP was shown, not only entirely unrebuilt/modified, but featuring bogie brakes. 

I understand that there no plans at present to produce a model to that specification.

Of course, if people make support known to Bachmann, it is a possible future model.

EDIT: Well, in terms of digressions, at least it's a Brighton loco!

Of course it could be that the LBSC version will be a collectors club special.  I agree however everything is there to do it.

• Like 1

Of course it could be that the LBSC version will be a collectors club special. 

If it is, I hope some kind soul will tip me off so that I can join.

Of course, I'm sure it's worth joining anyhow for the champagne and canapés in the Members Enclosure at Warley!

On the subject of the E1's it would be nice to see more pictures of them in the 1950's.  I have a very dog eared Ian Allen book with allocations, so might look out of interest.

In the style of 'The Far North' an E3 could possibly be bashed.  Maybe the chassis under a Wills E5 would make an easy E6.  Alas I am curbing my OO purchases with O definitely taking the lead.....

• Like 1

This could be quite an expensive purchase! Not in and of itself but with complimentary purchases. If I get one in Marsh Umber then I would also want to pick up one of the E4s in the same livery that are still hanging around from a few retailers (at a temptingly reasonable price). However, that would also necessitate the purchase of an H1 and Terrier to keep them company in the same livery and complete the 'portrait'. 

I guess I could always just go for the BR early crest where she would have plenty of friends for her to work with. Just not quite as elegant though.

Decisions, decisions decisions!

Similar Dilemma here. The head says get a BR black version as some worked in Southampton docks and would match the rest of the collection, but Poitiers looks very nice and a Terrier in improved engine green would be a nice match and the H1 looks georgous etc etc.

And FYI the last loco painted from engine green to umber was a Billington radical tank in 1917!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it is, I hope some kind soul will tip me off so that I can join.

Of course, I'm sure it's worth joining anyhow for the champagne and canapés in the Members Enclosure at Warley!

I will simply repeat what I have posted elsewhere.

On the one and only time I was able to avail myself of the caviar and champers they had said model and after consuming my bottle of water I was asked what appealed.  "the H2", I said would be nice in LBSCR livery if you could do it, but you aren't going say are you even as a collectors model?  Broad smile was the response. 

It will be interesting to see what detailed variants come out.

Early in their lives, they seem to have had condensers. I wonder if the IOW did any special modifications like they did for the O2?

The BR weathered version looks interesting and I am keen to have a first taste of how Rapido weathers locos.

I expect we will have more details of each variant first before deciding which to express an interest in.

I believe the four Isle of Wight loco's had Drummond chimneys, the same as the O2's. Worth checking by Rapido.

I will simply repeat what I have posted elsewhere.

On the one and only time I was able to avail myself of the caviar and champers they had said model and after consuming my bottle of water I was asked what appealed.  "the H2", I said would be nice in LBSCR livery if you could do it, but you aren't going say are you even as a collectors model?  Broad smile was the response. 

"... for the H1/H2 locomotives and our tooling allows most of the major variations to be modelled such that we can produce accurate models for the LBSCR, SR and BR periods. The initial releases include models for the pre-grouping, grouping and nationalisation eras across the two classes and again when these models have sold through and we feel there is sufficient demand to produce further models, different variants, liveries etc. will be considered."

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No.127 Poitiers in Goods Green.

This will be a first, I think? An RTR loco in Stroudley Goods Green.  What a treat! I really look forward to seeing how this green, with its subtle lining comes out.

As an appetizer, click the small left hand side colour icon here: http://www.lbscrmodels.co.uk/strasbourg.html

• Like 5

15xx 0-6-0PTs never worked out of Waterloo.  57xx(8750) - mainly in the 46xx series, though I certainly recall 9770, arrived at Nine Elms in 1959 and from then until 1961 you could see a mixture of 8750s, M7s and Brighton E4s on ECS duties between Waterloo and Clapham Junction.

Chris KT

I'm not sure how 'wide' the 1500s were but the Folkestone 5700/8750s had to have their steps joggled inwards away from the juice rail - so I guess that would preclude any 'casual' appearance of, say, an Old Oak pannier on a cross-London freight.

I think that, like several other classes of ‘foreign’ engines, some Panniers were ‘juice cleared’, had condensing gear, and fitted with tripcocks. Certainly the modern ones were used on the Smithfield meat trains over the city widened lines.

But E1s are more refined engines!

I think that, like several other classes of ‘foreign’ engines, some Panniers were ‘juice cleared’, had condensing gear, and fitted with tripcocks. Certainly the modern ones were used on the Smithfield meat trains over the city widened lines.

Well, of course they are - they didn't need all them shiny bits Swindon threw at their locos ...........

......... but I still can't figure out how Slough's 4610 managed to get to my part of Kent in 1948* ( long before it got to Folkestone at t'other end ) - let alone whether it's black or green under the filth !!?!

* I think the driver muttered something about 'Rule 1'.

• Like 1

Well, of course they are - they didn't need all them shiny bits Swindon threw at their locos ...........

......... but I still can't figure out how Slough's 4610 managed to get to my part of Kent in 1948* ( long before it got to Folkestone at t'other end ) - let alone whether it's black or green under the filth !!?!

* I think the driver muttered something about 'Rule 1'.

But the 16xx is more or less black all over! We struggled to find an excuse for a green one. And we chose the E1 because - in contrast to the 16xx - it had lots of pretty colour schemes! (CJL)

• Like 5

But the 16xx is more or less black all over! We struggled to find an excuse for a green one. And we chose the E1 because - in contrast to the 16xx - it had lots of pretty colour schemes! (CJL)

I'm tempted to ask whether 1638 had appeared in green in preservation* ......... but I know full-well that 1638 HAS appeared in green in preservation - but not THAT 1638 .................... yes, a not-so-subtle reminder that nobody's done a rtr 'U Boat' yet !

* it has

• RMweb Gold

Only the 97XX series panniers (apart from the prototype conversion for that series) were fitted with condensing gear (known to Old Oak men as 'the chopper') and trip cocks.  However 61XX prairies were also cleared for working over the juice rail into Paddington suburban because they had ATC clip up and trip cocks.

15XX were probably out-of gauge in many non WR locations as they even had a reputation for demolishing ground signals on Western territory = probably due to their tendency to 'waggle' due to their very short wheelbase.

There must have been multiple classes before the 97xx that worked 'over the juice', but I know very little of GWR things, so don't know whether they would have been Panniers converted from saddletanks, saddletanks, or what. I do know that 517 worked 'over the juice', but whether they did so below ground I have no idea ...... maybe 4-4-2T tanks too, in that they probably hauled trains into Bishops Road ...... and was the Hammersmith segregated into a burrow to cross the main lines prior to electrification? I presume it must have been, otherwise everything would have had to cross juice rails!

After that short intermission, we return to E1s .......

• Like 1

Well, you can underline them all in here, if that helps.

Otherwise, there is coverage in 'The Bennett Collection' and 'Bedford of Lewes', and Bradley, of course. The web seems to be an E1 Free Zone.

post-26817-0-18136600-1528804230_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

I believe the four Isle of Wight loco's had Drummond chimneys, the same as the O2's. Worth checking by Rapido.

Yes  all  had  Drummond  Chimneys  along  with  Marsh  boilers.

They  were  fitted  with  3  coal  rails  which  were  then  sheeted  on  the  Island.

W4  had  different  shaped  tank  fillers  than  the  others.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A wonderful list of potential holiday destinations. And, Portslade.

Have a care, Sir. I believe Portslade was the first place I was taken to watch trains, circa 1952. Maternal grandparents lived in Hove. Polesden is presumably as in Lacey, while Trocadero is probably the part of Paris, rather than its Iberian origin.

• Like 2

I'm tempted to ask whether 1638 had appeared in green in preservation* ......... but I know full-well that 1638 HAS appeared in green in preservation - but not THAT 1638 .................... yes, a not-so-subtle reminder that nobody's done a rtr 'U Boat' yet !

* it has

Weirdly, I'd buy a U because 31806 holds a little bit of a special place for me as she was the MHR's main loco (really) during my brief time volunteering there.