Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

Now here's a thought for all you Pannier fans, and in an attempt to regain Brighton supremacy in this thread (Mwahhahahaha!):

35264735_222870368498888_314388484055472

This is the first pannier to run on the GWR.

It is an LBSCR Craven design bought by one of the dock companies.

Discuss!

• Like 1

Weirdly, I'd buy a U because 31806 holds a little bit of a special place for me as she was the MHR's main loco (really) during my brief time volunteering there.

I well remember being in the bothy at Ropley one day and someone came in muttering that 1806's boiler had been condemned ........... a deathly hush ensued until, little by little, people cottoned-on that this was a C.& W. guy and was referring to the tea boiler in the RMB ! - PHEW !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now here's a thought for all you Pannier fans, and in an attempt to regain Brighton supremacy in this thread (Mwahhahahaha!):

35264735_222870368498888_314388484055472

This is the first pannier to run on the GWR.

It is an LBSCR Craven design bought by one of the dock companies.

Discuss!

These two engines, originally LB&SCR 228 and 229, later renumbered 351 and 353, were sold to the Alexandra Docks & Railway Company (AD&R) in 1882 where they became its No.s 9 & 10.  Between 1887 and 1899 they were used to work the PC&NR's service between Newport and Pontypridd which involved them running around 3 miles in each direction over GWR metals in the Newport area; both engines were withdrawn by the AD&R in 1904.

However they appear not to have been pannier tanks and are described in the RCTS history as 'flat topped saddle tanks' and the photo (and drawing in the RCTS history) suggest that is most likely the case with the tanks not extending back over the firebox.

113 has me thinking "Ffffffffetch a cloth!" (CJL)

(Only those who watched Open All Hours will understand)

Did anyone NOT watch Open All Hours ?

...... anyway, do we know whether '113 will be depicted as she was at So'ton docks with 'radio control' ( first to be fitted ) or in earlier form so I can backdate her for her Tonbridge days ??!?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably pulling the old Barnum and Bailey circus train coaches?

Andy G

Possibly as the one which has survived into preservation is noted as being used on the Machen - Pontypridd service which suggests it was probably more than likely still used when the service was started back from Newport High St.  However what is not clear is when the AD&R bought the Barnum & Baley's coaches as they were still in the circus train in 1898 so I suppose it's equally possible that they never ran with No.s 9 & 10 during the years they worked passenger trains over the GWR.

Re: Open All Hours

Who didn’t watch it? I just checked, and c40% of the population wasn’t yet born when the final edition was first broadcast, and c70% weren’t born when the first edition was broadcast, so I suggest that the answer must be Not-old People, which is not a thought that comforts me.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Who didn’t watch it? I just checked, and c40% of the population wasn’t yet born when the final edition was first broadcast, and c70% weren’t born when the first edition was broadcast, so I suggest that the answer must be Not-old People, which is not a thought that comforts me.

70% of the population have been born since 1973 - that can't be right can it?

I'm *only* 45 and I was born in 1972 - surely I can't be older than 70% of the population??

Edited by RichardLong

• RMweb Gold

70% of the population have been born since 1973 - that can't be right can it?

I'm *only* 45 and I was born in 1972 - surely I can't be older than 70% of the population??

When I was born - 1948 - the population was about 56 million. When you were born it was about 58 million. Now it is 66.5 million. Does that help?

When I was born - 1948 - the population was about 56 million. When you were born it was about 58 million. Now it is 66.5 million. Does that help?

Not really - I'm rubbish at maths :)

But isn't the growth in population at least partly due to the fact that people are living longer?

Well, to continue this thread diversion, here are the figures.

I somehow did overcount the % born since the first episode was first broadcast: it is closer to 55% than 70%. Sorry.

Incidentally, the median age of the U.K. population is c40years.

And, this chart nicely illustrates that the ‘postwar baby boom’ in the U.K. was both much later and much smaller than is often supposed.

post-26817-0-96556900-1529008268_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Did anyone NOT watch Open All Hours ?

...... anyway, do we know whether '113 will be depicted as she was at So'ton docks with 'radio control' ( first to be fitted ) or in earlier form so I can backdate her for her Tonbridge days ??!?

She's illustrated in the magazine but I don't have a copy to hand. From memory she's depicted in LBSCR livery with the name on the tanks. (CJL)

• Like 1

Well, to continue this thread diversion, here are the figures.

I somehow did overcount the % born since the first episode was first broadcast: it is closer to 55% than 70%. Sorry.

Incidentally, the median age of the U.K. population is c40years.

And, this chart nicely illustrates that the ‘postwar baby boom’ in the U.K. was both much later and much smaller than is often supposed.

What with population, baby boom and diversions onto obscure South Wales saddle tanks and lots of '16xx' stuff I think this topic is more than 70% off-topic! (CJL)

Born in 1998 and a big fan of Open All Hours and Porridge, back on topic I don't really need an E1 or a terrier but I now have to decide which one I will justify and which gets left behind because regardless of need I would rather like one

I always understood that the population went up whenever there was nowt worth watching on't telly ( subject to appropriate time delay ) yet with more an' more channels available the population's still rising .......................... either there's an ever increasing amount of nowt worth watching or nobody can be bothered to spend all their waking hours wading through Radio Times in search of something worthwhile ! ( probably both )

....... anyway, back to other distractions ! ...... thanks for the heads-up on 32113 : freshly painted with early crest ought to back-date to 'Sunshine' lettering without too much trouble. 

• RMweb Gold

I always understood that the population went up whenever there was nowt worth watching on't telly ( subject to appropriate time delay ) yet with more an' more channels available the population's still rising .......................... either there's an ever increasing amount of nowt worth watching or nobody can be bothered to spend all their waking hours wading through Radio Times in search of something worthwhile ! ( probably both )

....... anyway, back to other distractions ! ...... thanks for the heads-up on 32113 : freshly painted with early crest ought to back-date to 'Sunshine' lettering without too much trouble. 

Have you ever considered that procreation and watching telly at the same time, whilst somewhat unromantic (and off-topic in more than one sense), is not impossible. :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling

Have you ever considered that procreation and watching telly at the same time, whilst somewhat unromantic (and off-topic in more than one sense), is not impossible. :jester:

Rather depends on your definition of 'watching', doesn't it ! .............................. but I understand there are certain channels that might actually encourage the process !

When can we expect artwork and preorders to be on the Model Rail website? =)

apologies if I've missed the answer amongst the off topic jibber jabber

Beware the Jibber-Jabber, my son!

The posts that stray, the jokes that bomb! ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to comfort you (a little) and remain distinctly OT - but it was CJL who started this one - 'Open All Hours' was on tv on both Monday and Tuesday nights this week although I only watched part of one episode and that was on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Just to comfort you (a little) and remain distinctly OT - but it was CJL who started this one - 'Open All Hours' was on tv on both Monday and Tuesday nights this week although I only watched part of one episode and that was on Tuesday.

I already approach this topic with eight-boding (IIRC, "fore, foreboding" = "eightboding")

I think there is a SOUTHERN sunshine lettering version anyway. We have a member of staff who models that period! (CJL)

• Like 1

When can we expect artwork and preorders to be on the Model Rail website? =)

apologies if I've missed the answer amongst the off topic jibber jabber

The 'E1' is our project for 2020 so it will be a good while before we are in  position to take pre-orders. The '16XX' will be first, in 2019. (CJL)

• Like 1