Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

Is there an expected date for the 48DS yet, or are there still too many balls up in the air to say yet?

Cheers,

Andrew

There are a few balls in the air, but they are being managed. For example, from the prototypes we found that we could reposition the speaker for better performance, and similarly we could make the geartrain more efficient - very important in such a small model. Tooling is being modified to account for these and a few assembly challenges we faced. Our target delivery date is mid-November.
  • Like 1

I've just picked up on this thread, and have shocked myself.  I'm a 4mm scale, EM gauge modeller, interested in industrial railways particularly in the steel industry.  So much so, that I have mastered various steel industry wagon kits, originally available under my own label (Clarke Kits) and now part of the RT Models range when I realised how little fun running a model business was.  So I was shocked to find myself on the LLC website reserving a Ruston........

Guess I'll have to build a few wagons and a diorama to go with it now..........

My wife will be directed to this thread when she seeks to apportion blame

Alastair

• Like 2

Ha ha looks like you've been trapped by the spell of 7mm, don't worry it happens to the best of us. Just tell your wife it's because you're finding it tougher to see the smaller scales, worked for me!

Of course, it doesn't help when you do this, but she finds you in a model shop staring in awe at all the nice N-Gauge diesels in the display........

Edited by JeffP

• RMweb Premium

Ha! All I can say is that we've drawn up our detailed production plan until December next year...

Its good to have a plan. As in the Yiddish proverb, 'Man plans, God laughs!' Especially applies to product release dates! Don't worry, we've learned to be patient in the School of Dapol.

Dava

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Now, what level of 'froth' could I create by referring expectant type 2 fans to this innocent looking morsel?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8551-prmrp-class-250-or-241/?p=2868824

:mosking: and off an' runnin' :)

Hmmm... Unfinished Kits. I have one of those. :banghead:

There, in a nutshell M'lud, is the Defence's case for More R-T-R in O Scale. :yes: :onthequiet:

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Now, what level of 'froth' could I create by referring expectant type 2 fans to this innocent looking morsel?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8551-prmrp-class-250-or-241/?p=2868824

:mosking: and off an' runnin' :)

Ha! My dastardly plan worked!

Actually, entirely innocent. I was rooting around the loft earlier this week in preparation for making a larger test track when I came across a few kits I'd put aside. One of them was an old RJH Class 40 kit, so thought I'd look on here to see if anyone had built one and what they'd done to it. As what normally happens, once you start looking, you keep getting deeper and deeper into completely irrelevant things, and I came across Boris's old thread of his 25. Not exactly a 40, but it's from the same designer so thought I'd get some clues. I'm pretty sure Mr Daniels has built one of these 40s, so I'll go through his massive thread again one day.

I also found three MMP kits, all of them with no instructions! I must have put them somewhere to read and now I have no idea where they are. I've moved house a couple times since I bought them, so they are lost forever it seems.

• Like 1

I expect that if you contact David P he would let you have a copy of the instructions.  You really do need these.  I built 3 steel minerals recently (well, the bodies as the chassis were beyond me).  If your kits are LMS Dia 2109, BR dia 1/108 or 1/109, I can send you a copy.

John

Absolutely! I had a test a couple days ago - the loco and a couple wagons fit on a biscuit tin!

Hello Steven, short question. What is the length over buffer of the Ruston 48DS model? (must searching for the right size of biscuit tin)

Best greetings from Germany, Torsten

Edited by blackmoor_vale

Hello Steven, short question. What is the length over buffer of the Ruston 48DS model? (must searching for the right size of biscuit tin)

Best greetings from Germany, Torsten

Hello Torsten, good to finally meet you at Telford.

Yes, as Paul says, just over 10cm over buffers. I used a biscuit tin I got last Christmas – it's 32cm diameter!

Steve

I bet it doesn't disclose which Type 2 will be made.?!! :scratchhead: :dontknow: :D

Come on, this does seem like the start of frothing about a topic which is being frothed somewhere else!!!!  To save you the effort, the LLC FB discussion seems to be coming to a conclusion as to the pending type 2 based upon the builder, range of liveries and commonality of components across several designs of class 2 locos (bogies...  cabs...  maybe even prototype failure rates).  

Thanks John, very kind, but they are the 08, 31 and 47! Waaay bigger...

I have the instructions for the 08, but am not home again until end Oct.

I suspect you aren't in a hurry?

Posted before reading on, sorry.

Edited by JeffP

Is there any update on the Ruston 48DS on the Facebook page, please?

No definite dates yet I'm afraid. Tooling is currently being refined and optimised for efficiency both in running and assembly. Any major updates will appear here, so don't worry about missing anything - the same goes for any significant announcements. Our FB group is more about chat, speculation and showing what owners have done to their Class 15s, of which there are some fantastic repaints and weathering examples.

For subsequent models we will change our announcement policy, removing development statements, expected delivery dates and anything time specific. There always seems to be some unexpected issue that crops up, and delays just cause me to stress out, but also damages LLCs reputation. We will announce the Type 2 with loose delivery dates and then after this we'll only announce models when parts are rolling off the machines.

To avoid any preproduction errors as much as possible we set up working groups of people with in-depth knowledge of the prototypes being developed. If you have particular knowledge of a specific loco (or wagon, coach or DMU) we would be very happy to hear from you to add to our working group pool. Pool members get pre-production models (in some cases) and have their name mentioned in the Owner Manual. You also have the great satisfaction of knowing you helped produce a quality British model. Oh, you also get a model of your choice that you helped to produce. Simply send an email with your area of expertise to littlelococompany@gmail.com. Obviously, the group is subject to the strictest confidentiality.

Steve

• Like 4