Little Loco Company - Ruston 48DS

The Nth Degree

...... the probables are thus 21, 24, 28. The Eastern connection says 21, preservation connection says 28.

Why rule out 24, preserved and Eastern connection, some were built at Darlington (or would that be North Eastern)

And from 10/05/16:

"Also, it will be nice to produce something that wasn't confined to the Eastern Region – they were literally everywhere, just like rats..."

Edited by leopardml2341

Why rule out 24, preserved and Eastern connection, some were built at Darlington (or would that be North Eastern)

And from 10/05/16:

"Also, it will be nice to produce something that wasn't confined to the Eastern Region – they were literally everywhere, just like rats..."

Could be, as you say - 2 pluses, but Bachmann brass did a batch which may subdue the market. However I'm in line if rat it is.

Thank you for this very interesting update Steve. This construction looks near to genious for me.

To be honest this very little loco was not on my list so far, but it's becoming more and more tempting, simply because of its innovative technology.  :good:

Can't wait to see the final result.

Klaus

• Like 1

Thanks for all your interest in all of LLCs projects. A few small updates follows.

If you're in Hertfordshire tomorrow Little Loco will be at the Albury S7 show (details below) with a limited amount of stock for sale and free chinwags with yours truly. The superb layout Love Lane will be the centre attraction, so if you like finely observed details, this is not to be missed!

The Class 50 is progressing. To avoid any sort of inter-manufacturer tangles I'm not going to say any more than that... Our anticipated Type 2 also continues, and fortunately the advanced systems developed for this model will be adopted and/or adapted for the C50. Both of these models will be state of the art in terms of embedded technology.

The Rustons are in the factory and have been 'virtually tooled' to check for errors and fit before the actual tooling is complete. This potentially saves a lot of money adjusting tooling after the first mouldings come out of it, and saves the time required to correct those errors.

I'd like to show you the level of technology we had to squeeze into this model to produce something that LLC would be proud to offer for sale, and to give you some insight into what is to come for future models.

To begin with, we wanted as close to a prototypical drive system as possible, i.e. a central drive shaft that in turn powers the axles. We really tried to produce a real chain to drive the axles, but it would either require a very over-sized chain or for it to be made from titanium. Neither was viable. The motor has been designed by LLC and the factory to produce plenty of torque at only 5000rpm, which requires a much smaller geartrain. As a back-up to these toothed gears we have a helical geartrain just in case, but we feel we should need it.

attachicon.gifR48 1.png

Next, we had to design the electrical systems to take up as little space as possible while also being capable performers, and these had to be secured in place. The die-cast motor block is screwed to the substantial die-cast chassis (shown next), and working from front to back we have the following:

The speaker is the latest technology flat panel design and utilises the radiator cowling as the sound chamber. This will produce bass frequencies well below 300Hz. For such a small model and speaker area this is quite impressive.

Behind this sits the built-in capacitor board, which provides several seconds of uninterrupted power – essential for such a small wheelbase model. This operates on both DCC and DC by utilising a unique feature of ZIMO decoders.

On top is a cut-down version of the all new LLC common interface board, which will feature on all our models, and as every model will be DCC you only have to choose sound or non-sound, and you are able to seamlessly upgrade at a later date with no additional wiring, soldering or hunting for a speaker that fits – everything is already there and pre-wired.

attachicon.gifR48 2.png

To give you some idea on the size of the mechanical and electrical systems, all of this fits in a volume of only 4x3x2cm as seen on this image.

attachicon.gifR48 3.png

Finally, with the cab attached you can begin to see the model in its final form. The design leaves the cab interior completely free of obstructions for you to add a driver, his newspaper and packed lunch. Inside the cab is the prototypical combined battery and toolbox. At only approx 8cm long I really don't think you can pack much more technology into something of this size and scale.

attachicon.gifR48 4.png

Thanks, Steve

Steve, seeing this makes me wonder what magic you could do with a WuM railbus...

• Like 1

Could I ask what the state of play is regarding replacement transfers for the Cl15? My D8224 has been languishing on the shelf since January waiting for its identity to be applied. I'm very happy with the model but would like to get it into service.

Bob

• Like 1

Could I ask what the state of play is regarding replacement transfers for the Cl15? My D8224 has been languishing on the shelf since January waiting for its identity to be applied. I'm very happy with the model but would like to get it into service.

Bob

Me too please. :)

Bob

same again I am still waiting to finished my loco :no:

Good news! They should be arriving in the post today. I won't have time to post them as I'm busy prepping for the ALSRM show in Reading tomorrow, but if you're going I will have them with me. Just come to the stand and ask. I have a new insert for the manual too. If you're not able to make it I will post them Monday. I will eventually contact everyone, but if you'd like to jump the queue please email me with your name and address on sales@littleloco.co.uk and I'll make yours a priority for Monday's post run.

Later tomorrow I will have a few special edition models delivered - fully decorated Liverpool Street pilot models with SYP. These are an additional £25 over standard prices. Eventually all versions of the LSP will be produced as special editions, so if you'd like to reserve one in advance please use the email address above.

I have approx half a dozen CPS limited editions left. Once these are gone I can make the final £5,000 donation to the C15PS. Please use the website for ordering these, but I will have a few with me tomorrow.

Thanks all for your continued support, I really appreciate it. If you read BRM you'll find a very brief history of LLC at the back. In addition to that an East Anglian newspaper group has been following the story of LLC and I'm now writing a more fuller article for them to appear in a couple weeks or so. I'll keep you posted. Likewise, when there is significant news to tell on the various projects we have underway you'll hear it here.

Steve

• Like 3

Small update on the transfers, unfortunately they didn't make the post today so I won't have them with me tomorrow after all. I'll start sending them out next week after they arrive. Sorry about that.

Hi Steve, disappointing for some no doubt but for me excellent news. Please check your private messages.

Bob

Edited by boeing7572t6

The first batch of new transfers went out in todays post and will be with those lucky few shortly. Tomorrow I'm going to be sending all overseas transfers out, so if you're in Australia, Canada, USA and Germany you'll also be getting your transfers shortly.

If you had bought your model through Amberly Services he has his own batch of transfers to send out, but from all other retailers you can contact me direct through sales@littleloco.co.uk

Mr Postie just pushed a set of replacement transfers through my letterbox. First impressions are very good, very sharp letters and numbers and super BR crests. This will just add the final piece to an excellent product.

Thank you for the excellent service.

Bob