Little Loco Company - Class 15

The Nth Degree

Maybe a kit to allow modellers to correct whatever howler Heljan have made this time round?

(That'll be new cabs, based on pre-production photos revealed a while back.)

No... just a cheaper, more accurate model. Competition (in both price & accuracy) is what Heljan are lacking. If they had that, they might buck their ideas up.

Only "might", though..... :rolleyes: :D

• Like 1

Hmm, a 24/25, look how many variations there were...... I do not want a 25/0 in old numbers to remind me of holidays in Saltburn as a lad, I do not want a 25/0 in..........ok you get the message repeat 500 times.

A small 0-4-0 Ruston, now that would be a great pal for the Fowler on my micro...and my next layout in around 2025 of a preserved line like Chasewater.

Oh the pain, the pain. Want, now !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, have to agree. If model two ends up being the Class 24 - I'm also in :). Quite a fan of the Sulzer Type 2s ...

Steve - I'm hoping it's just that you've been busy, or alternatively that you cannot say anymore at this point, which is all fair enough ... But I note you haven't posted since my tongue-in-cheek reply on Wednesday or Thursday, really hope no offence was taken - nothing insinuated it was just my sarcastic sense of humour!

Rich

• Like 1

Yes, have to agree. If model two ends up being the Class 24 - I'm also in :). Quite a fan of the Sulzer Type 2s ...

Steve - I'm hoping it's just that you've been busy, or alternatively that you cannot say anymore at this point, which is all fair enough ... But I note you haven't posted since my tongue-in-cheek reply on Wednesday or Thursday, really hope no offence was taken - nothing insinuated it was just my sarcastic sense of humour!

Rich

Rich, firstly I didn't find anything you wrote to take offence from, so no worries. But, yes, I have been extremely busy.

The next model using existing facilities is incredibly time-consuming to make sure I have covered all the detail differences during their working lifespan. A recognised expert on the class is helping out, and I will soon visit the NYMR for more help and some plans.

I've also started the ball rolling on the 'experiment' loco that I'm producing in the UK. I have a list of parts and a shortlist of suppliers, and I can source everything here except for the motor. CAD is now underway.

I dip in and make sure I'm not missing any messages, but this is mostly on my phone (like now), but I prefer to do this on my computer. If anyone has any questions, please fire away. I'm also open to constructive criticism, so please don't be shy!

• Like 1

If anyone has any questions, please fire away. I'm also open to constructive criticism, so please don't be shy!

I'll start off with the regulars...

- So what's the model then?

- When will it be announced??

- When will it be released???

:jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

You said don't be shy...

If anyone turns up in a suit with a Ruston badge, I'll be in the queue.....

If it is a Ruston 48ds I will be beside myself with excitement... I honestly won't know what to do for the next 'x months' to release date!  :danced:

If it is a Ruston 48ds I will be beside myself with excitement... I honestly won't know what to do for the next 'x months' to release date!  :danced:

A 48DS would be nice but I do already have a Impetus one from many years ago. However that is in pieces for a repaint and new wheels, a situation it's been in for years :-(. So a new one would give me a running one quickly and then what to do with the old one ? I could always turn it into a static model of a stored/OOU loco, not something you see modelled everyday but a sight often seen on industrial premises. I could well do that.

A Ruston 48DS would be a sure fire winner - provided it was heavy enough!

Paul R

Agreed!! (In my humble and admittedly biased opinion being my favourite loco!! ;) )

It would be an obvious choice give the massive growth in 7mm scale micro layouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dreadnought and all.

I've just returned from a holiday so I'm catching up on where I left off in regards to current production and UK trials.

I've received some initial test shots of the model so far, which included a couple fit issues. These are currently being addressed. I believe this model is the biggest or one of the biggest loco models this factory has produced in this style, so we are learning together as we go. New updated tooling will be completed as I write and new complete test shots will emerge early next week. In theory, a fully working prototype will emerge a couple weeks after this to be thoroughly bench tested mechanically, electrically and with DCC functions.

In the UK work is progressing on the tiny 0-4-0 model. After a tour of production facilities a few weeks ago one very keen factory has been selected for the trial. We have agreed a schedule, which will mean this model will be ready for Christmas. I'm sourcing everything myself, and some parts – including the motor – are being custom made especially for this project. Only the motor and circuit board components are offshore products, everything else is British. As this loco was chain-driven, so will the model be. It proved impossible to source a chain small enough, so this too will be custom-designed.

On Tuesday I'm also going to be briefing in the next large loco – as mentioned previously a Type 2 bogie loco. As my Chinese factory has even failed to quote for this model it will be produced in the UK also. Delivery is expected to be in March/April 2017. It will be marginally more expensive to produce, undoubtedly, but it will be backed by a British contract enforced by UK law. I think it's worth the extra cost. I am not, and I hope I don't sound xenophobic, but my company's reputation is worth more to me than saving a few quid.

Feel free to post here, message me or get in contact through the website. Anyone who has done so already will know that I will get back to you pretty quickly.

Steve

• Like 4

A Ruston 48DS would be a sure fire winner - provided it was heavy enough!

Paul R

You're correct. Weight and axle compensation/springing will be key to the success of any short wheelbase model. In addition, some form of mechanical or electrical flywheel-equivalent and nothing less than excellent electrical continuity are all absolutely necessary.

My UK factory will be experimenting with some new high-density polymers to compare against traditional zinc alloys for weight comparisons. The model will also not use a worm gear so the geartrain will be very free-running to help it over potentially troublesome pointwork.

Anyone who reserves one can create an account to update or change your reservation at any time. It's through this account that I send the newsletter updates. Those people are the first to hear any news, but I later update this thread and update other media - my first obligation is with my customers, of course. Anyone who has reserved a model but have not created an account can do so at any time.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see that Heljan have now announced an 03 for 'mid-late 2017'. I can't help feeling an opportunity might have been missed here, to do one quicker/better/a bit cheaper? Ah well. With the 05 and 03 announced, Heljan are claiming the BR 'smaller shunter' space in RTR. No sign of the Dapol 08 yet!

http://www.tower-models.com/

Dava

Interesting to see that Heljan have now announced an 03 for 'mid-late 2017'. I can't help feeling an opportunity might have been missed here, to do one quicker/better/a bit cheaper? Ah well. With the 05 and 03 announced, Heljan are claiming the BR 'smaller shunter' space in RTR. No sign of the Dapol 08 yet!

http://www.tower-models.com/

Dava

"Quicker/better/cheaper"... I've a hunch that an 03 by LittleLoco would be all three ;)

As I said earlier, I reckon Heljan need some competition - too many of their recent locos have had small but significant niggles to justify the price.

I don't like this idea that a Manufacturer announcing "we're going to make Class XYZ" somehow 'claims' that Class as 'theirs' & no one else should make it. If that's how things work now, I sure as hell hope no one else announces a Class 22 before Steve does!!!

Edit: Dapol 08 not far away now... apparently!! :rolleyes: :D

Edited by F-UnitMad