Little Loco Company - Class 15

The Nth Degree

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich. I sent a link to your video to the factory to spur them on a bit! Thanks very much for making it, and they seemed to enjoy it.

The registered account is a separate 'opt-in' section to the reservation section as I was worried about people thinking I was spamming them. There have so far only been three emails on updates, but I pretty much give a summary of those updates on here a couple days later or when I get the time. Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything!

There may be a time in the future where I can use it for special offers or early bird discounts or something, but that is some way off yet.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Ah fair enough!  Thanks for the reply!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just finishing off the transfer sheet for the model, but came up short on a couple details which I hope someone can help with.

The specific problem is the loco data panel applied to some locos in around 1969-71 – this would later become standard item in the TOPS program. I can't find any photographs of a close-up image to copy the details from, so have made an educated guess about the detail on it.

In addition, aside from the Liverpool Street pilot, there were a couple locos that carried the TOPS-style shed code, but I don't know for absolute certain which shed codes were carried. I may well include a few shed codes for 'good measure' and a bit of modeller's license, but it would be good to at least include the definite codes.

Here's what I've produced for the data panel. If anyone can spot any errors or omissions I would be grateful.

post-11337-0-24113900-1474638558.png

I'm just finishing off the transfer sheet for the model, but came up short on a couple details which I hope someone can help with.

The specific problem is the loco data panel applied to some locos in around 1969-71 – this would later become standard item in the TOPS program. I can't find any photographs of a close-up image to copy the details from, so have made an educated guess about the detail on it.

In addition, aside from the Liverpool Street pilot, there were a couple locos that carried the TOPS-style shed code, but I don't know for absolute certain which shed codes were carried. I may well include a few shed codes for 'good measure' and a bit of modeller's license, but it would be good to at least include the definite codes.

Here's what I've produced for the data panel. If anyone can spot any errors or omissions I would be grateful.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2016-09-23 at 14.12.43.png

Have a look at this photo that is on Flickr. Should fill in the detail.

8474360116_fc2ee7a11c_c.jpg5-8 D8207 CW 13021972 by Hugh Searle, on Flickr

Note that "Stratford" has been shortened to

STRATFD

30A

Also the loco weight is 68 Tons, not 69.

Hope this helps.

Paul J.

Which other names were shortened like Stratford above? Potential candidates are Ipswich, Norwich, Finsbury Park and Liverpool Street. The latter looks to be written out in full from what I can make out from photographs that I've seen, but I also thought Stratford was, was its very uncertain when you don't have clear and direct evidence.

Which other names were shortened like Stratford above? Potential candidates are Ipswich, Norwich, Finsbury Park and Liverpool Street. The latter looks to be written out in full from what I can make out from photographs that I've seen, but I also thought Stratford was, was its very uncertain when you don't have clear and direct evidence.

I've made a bit of a study of the early style of shed code stickers that came into being. They first appeared in July 1970, initially on the ER and later on the WR. They never appeared on the LM, and I think only for limited locations on the ScR, although I haven't found any photos of ScR ones yet. The SR also seemed reluctant to put any on their locos. By the time they did appear depots like Ipswich and Norwich had lost their allocation of locos, except for shunters, and I haven't come across any for those depots. Liverpool Street never had an allocation of locos, all coming from Stratford, so no shed sticker ever existed. Before the shed code sticker existed, a locos depot allocation was shown, if at all, with a proper shed plate, as on steam locos, and later on with painted or stenciled representations of them, sometimes on black backgrounds, (except for the NE region depots, which often had orange backgrounds), or just stenciled onto the body colour, sometimes just the depot code number without an oval surround, sometimes with it. The later stickers evolved a couple of times before they ended up as they are today, small squarish stickers with a two letter code. The first appeared with two lines, depot name on the top line, with the old number code beneath. The number code was then omitted after towards the end of 1971, leaving just the name, before changing back to a two line sticker but with the depot name abbreviated below in early 1973. A year later the depot name was lost from the sticker, leaving a smaller sticker with just the abbreviation on, as found today. I have laid out the time line for this below.

From July 1970.          STRATFD

30A

From end 1971.          STRATFD

From early 1973.         STRATFD

SF

From early 1974.              SF

There were a couple of odd variations for some depots, but in general the rule was followed, although it should be noted that some locos might carry old style stickers long past a change in styles. Depots with short names, like March, Holbeck, Tinsley & York would show the full name, but a few had to be shortened. I have found photographic evidence of a few, but I suspect not all. The search continues. I have listed the ones I have found below.

FIN PARK       HLY MLS   GATESHD      

34G                 55C           52A

Immingham, although quite a long name, seems to have kept it in full on the stickers, although the only photo I have of one is not clear enough to be absolutely sure.

Hope this info is of use.

Paul J.

• Like 1

That's very useful, thank you Paul. Along with Stratford, I will include Finsbury Park, Ipswich and Norwich shed stickers, just in case they do surface on some long-lost photos at the bottom of somebody's drawer.

I'll post the complete transfer sheet when I've completed it tomorrow night.

Steve

That's very useful, thank you Paul. Along with Stratford, I will include Finsbury Park, Ipswich and Norwich shed stickers, just in case they do surface on some long-lost photos at the bottom of somebody's drawer.

I'll post the complete transfer sheet when I've completed it tomorrow night.

Steve

Sorry to be a killjoy Steve, but by the time these stickers came out all the locos, bar 3 or 4, (the number varied) at Finsbury Park, were allocated to Stratford. Ipswich was a stabling point from 1968, and their shunters came from and where allocated to Norwich, so I'm afraid the Ipswich sticker would not have existed, there being no depot to allocate loco's to. Norwich had lost all its locos, bar shunters, by the time the stickers appeared, so none on class 15's. I have seen a photo of a Finsbury Park sticker on a class 15, but towards the end Stratford and Finsbury Park swapped over locos, 8201, 8230, 8231, 8232 being the four that swapped between the two during the time these stickers where around, but all where at Stratford by the end of 1970. What was found on the 15's were shed plates, one on the nose at each end. I have seen 34G, (FP),and 30A, (SF) and there where almost certainly ones for 32A, (NR) and possibly 32B for Ipswich, but telling the two apart on a photo is not easy. Some locos retained them until scrapping. most probably couldn't get them off, or couldn't be bothered to. Below is a photo on Flickr of a Stratford shed plate on a Class 15.

9140666434_c112d17120_c.jpgD8200, Stratford MPD, Jun 69 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

I have a fascination for these locos, and the class 16's, hence the research I've done on them, and look forward to seeing one of your models in the flesh. Very tempted to buy one, even though I model in EM. Best of luck with your enterprise.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Ahh! Thanks for that. All of the photos I have seen, except the one you put here yesterday, have been impossible to tell which shed stickers they carried by being too far away or too blurred. I was going to include them as a failsafe, but it seems this may not be necessary.

This is the decal sheet as it stands. If you find anything missing or in error I'll be glad to hear of it. I have to send it off next week. Anything in black is printed on the carrier to help with alignment and positioning. I'm still deciding whether to have these as rub-down or alcohol fixing. If anyone can outline subjective pros and cons. I've only ever used the rub-down types, like the Letraset alpha-numeric sheets.

post-11337-0-68248900-1474712536_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,
I think you may have other arrangements, but just in case, have you thought of talking with Steve at Railtec Transfers? He's really good at what he does, the quality is some of the best around and they are all produced in house to completion. He also has a 3D way of printing now, which means he may be able to do the worksplates/shedplates as well. Sorry if it's too late, just thought I'd mention it!

Rich

EDIT: Correct company name!

Edited by MarshLane

Ahh! Thanks for that. All of the photos I have seen, except the one you put here yesterday, have been impossible to tell which shed stickers they carried by being too far away or too blurred. I was going to include them as a failsafe, but it seems this may not be necessary.

This is the decal sheet as it stands. If you find anything missing or in error I'll be glad to hear of it. I have to send it off next week. Anything in black is printed on the carrier to help with alignment and positioning. I'm still deciding whether to have these as rub-down or alcohol fixing. If anyone can outline subjective pros and cons. I've only ever used the rub-down types, like the Letraset alpha-numeric sheets.

attachicon.gifDecal Sheet.jpg

Hi Steve

Any chance you could include a transfer sheet of ADB 968000 and an arrow of indecision? I'll be doing my loco as a carriage heater in green with full yellow ends. There are a good few pics showing this arrangement on the Cl15 website which I assume you know about but can forward to you directly if it saves you time. I was going to get this specially made up by Railtec, but if it's possible to include with the loco then that's even better!

Cheers

Hi Steve

Any chance you could include a transfer sheet of ADB 968000 and an arrow of indecision? I'll be doing my loco as a carriage heater in green with full yellow ends. There are a good few pics showing this arrangement on the Cl15 website which I assume you know about but can forward to you directly if it saves you time. I was going to get this specially made up by Railtec, but if it's possible to include with the loco then that's even better!

Cheers

If it helps, there's a sheet already available specifically for ADB968000:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1115

• Like 1

If it helps, there's a sheet already available specifically for ADB968000:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1115

Hi (other!) Steve

OK that's handy. I hadn't looked at your website to see if the ADB xxx already existed. As the link goes to your 4mm range, I'd assume they'd fit pretty well onto a 7mm loco, as the number of characters would probably be too wide for the cabside if they were actually printed in 7mm?

I seem to recall that when I renumbered the OO version of the Class 15 to ADB... I had to use N scale transfers for the same reason.

Cheers

Hi (other!) Steve

OK that's handy. I hadn't looked at your website to see if the ADB xxx already existed. As the link goes to your 4mm range, I'd assume they'd fit pretty well onto a 7mm loco, as the number of characters would probably be too wide for the cabside if they were actually printed in 7mm?

I seem to recall that when I renumbered the OO version of the Class 15 to ADB... I had to use N scale transfers for the same reason.

Cheers

That's a good question. It's so long ago since I designed the pack that I don't recall, though instinct tells me that it would have been genuinely designed for the 4mm loco. So as not to highjack this thread, PM me offline when/if you come to need them and we can get crisp on the dimensions for you. Either way, it's a very simple job to rescale if needed.

That's a good question. It's so long ago since I designed the pack that I don't recall, though instinct tells me that it would have been genuinely designed for the 4mm loco. So as not to highjack this thread, PM me offline when/if you come to need them and we can get crisp on the dimensions for you. Either way, it's a very simple job to rescale if needed.

Thanks Steve, I'll do that when I've got the loco and we'll go from there.

attachicon.gifDecal Sheet.jpg

They look very good. The only mistake I've noted is that Finsbury Park is 34G, not 32B as on the sheet. Also D8202 was scrapped with the number on one nose end at least, but it was a slightly different style to the one on the sheet. Don't know if or when it changed. See the photo in the link below to see the difference.

https://flic.kr/p/axc89a

I also did a table of the final liveries carried by the Class 15's based on all the photos I could find. this was put on Wibbles, "EMgauge 70's" website here.

http://emgauge70s.co.uk/proto_class15.html

Modelers might find it useful when deciding on the livery of their loco.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love those pictures of Ipswich depot, Freightliner could probably use that these days.

I always find it a little strange that no 15s ever received blue.

For many years I thought they had as black and white pictures of them in green with arrows can be hard to determine the colour