Laser-Cut Baseboards

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that 'made to measure' will be more expensive that the standard sizes already available as there will be additional set up costs to plan and draw a different size.

Another supplier is Grainge and Hodder as shown here

http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

• Like 1

The best way to find out is to ring the people who do laser cur baseboards and ask the question.

I understand from chatting to Tim Horn in April that he is very busy.

Do you have CAD skills. If you can draw up the components of your base boards in an acceptable format like an etched kit it may help in your quest and save you some money.

Also don't ignore parts CNC cut. I had a pair of baseboards made that way by a bespoke furniture maker who were quiet at that time.   They were very good.

I don't think you will get any bespoke base boards quickly.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

And what about self-designed ones? I.e. I need someone to cut them.

A simple google search gives me a list of firms/places that will lasercut wood in my area (Reading), including my local 'hackspace'.

You'd need to make sure their kit is compatible with your CAD output and they can handle the size and sheet thickness (and material) you want.

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand B&Q will cut boards for free, saves buying the saw

The problem with B&Q is that the plywood is rubbish, go to a proper timber merchant, usually better quality and they will also cut for you.

David

And most timber yards will cut accurately to your measurements whereas B&Q cut to 'close enough', as I found out once.

Hi, do any of you guys do laser cut baseboards to measure cheaply and quickly?

There is an old adage:

Good, Cheap and Quick, choose any 2 of the 3:

Choices are:

Good and Quick, but not cheap.

Good and Cheap, but not quick.

Quick and Cheap, but not good.

I rest my case m'lud.

• Like 2

I designed my own custom baseboards and had them cut by a commercial laser firm. Whilst there's nothing very difficult about it, using an established baseboard maker who understands what's required will save you quite a bit of time and wastage.

Edited by dpgibbons

And what about self-designed ones? I.e. I need someone to cut them.

Tim Horn cuts things for me that I've designed myself on CAD. Speak with him and book a day, it's very helpful to be able to make minor corrections to deal with discrepancies in material thickness as your boards are built. And most importantly, bring cakes!

• 3 weeks later...

What about cheap baseboards for a couple of quid?

Hmmmm, so you want laser-cut, quick and cheap (a couple of quid).  Methinks you might be having a larrrrf squire...  :rofl:

You won't get owt for nowt in this life... 

Edited by YesTor

It was a while ago now, but I did get 4 baseboards cut (saw not laser) for about a fiver (+wood!)

All the sections were rectangles and I used an online application to work out the best way of fitting them on the sheets and cutting them, which worked well.

Of course as soon as you get to fancy shapes then laser is the way to go, it always surprises me that the standard kit boards from the laser manufacturers seem to be made of parts that could be cut with a saw

• Like 1

Hmmmm, so you want laser-cut, quick and cheap (a couple of quid).  Methinks you might be having a larrrrf squire...  :rofl:

You won't get owt for nowt in this life... 

With the greatest respect to the OP it would appear that is what he is seeking  !

Just saying  :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We have a great independant builders merchant in Skipton that will not only cut timber and sheet material to any size and any number of cuts and help you load up your car but you only pay for what you take away! No paying for a 8x4 if you only want 8x3.5!!

• Like 1