Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

That's as close to done as it's going to get for a while - pretty happy with it, even the garish livery!

There are a few compromises, mainly the cylinders being horizontal instead of inclined, but other than that the J70 chassis is very close to the correct dimensions.

IMG_20230809_190521070.jpg.d79441b303a5c2cb6a1c983c9a21b900.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Hawthorns of Leith? I look forward to seeing this one.

That's the plan! It'll be a bit of a compromise to fit the chassis (slightly different valve gear, slightly shorter wheelbase, probably needs a slightly larger boiler too) and because I'm only working on a side drawing from Boulton's Siding 7mm plans, which may not be entirely accurate anyway... Interestingly the drawing shows a different configuration to the preserved locomotive, so I'm going with the drawing and filling in the gaps from photos, which will hopefully get me close enough.

• Like 4

My reason for asking the previous post is that I sent a Peckett body to a friend, and now have a spare chassis. A quick experiment last night showed it was really simple to add a flywheel, only needing a little bit of carving the motor bracket with a knife and soldering two wires. This won't do much as it's quite a small flywheel, but everything helps - I could have fitted a bigger one if I was prepared to do some Dremel work on the boiler casting, and I might do that in future.

Anyway, I now need to make something to go on it! The Chapman and Furneux type is the main plan, but I might also look at Beyer Peacock or Vulcan designs if I can find any drawings of them.

image.png.3602c53a4cec0ec806c6e42dac3c5cb4.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

The Black Hawthorn's tank is much lower than the Peckett's and there's no free space above the motor inside the Peckett body, which would mean that the proportions of the Black Hawthorn would need to be terribly distorted to get the body to fit over the motor.

You could save a couple of millimetres if you're prepared to bin the Hornby motor mount and turn the motor on its side. It will have to be glued in place though. I have done this in order to get sound decoders in but you could use the space saved to lower the tank. Even so, I'm not sure the tank would be low enough despite doing that. Those Black Hawthorns are very small engines when compared with a W4 Peckett.

• Informative/Useful 4

On 13/09/2023 at 13:56, Ruston said:

The Black Hawthorn's tank is much lower than the Peckett's and there's no free space above the motor inside the Peckett body, which would mean that the proportions of the Black Hawthorn would need to be terribly distorted to get the body to fit over the motor.

Thanks for the info - that's exactly why I'm looking for drawings/dimensions before I go making anything!

I'll see what I can find.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never shy of character, your last two projects have been outstanding @TurboSnail - both thoroughly charming!

Imagine my delight at finding

915f995f-1f82-4d11-9efd-a104c71687b4.jpe

https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/product/Hornby-tiger-tank-engine-conversion-kit 

tucked away on @BlueLightning's shopfront. I presume this is no coincidence, so thank you both. Thought it a joy worth sharing, although my bank account seems to be in tears...

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Schooner said:

Got hold of some drawings, then?  :)

By delving deep into obscure forums (having to sign up for as well!) I managed to get something good enough for the main dimensions. Details will still have to be done from photos but that's much better than having nothing to go from at all!

By means of a slight rant against the Science Museum group, apparently the drawings I was looking for used to be freely available, judging by all the now-dead links on forums from about 2012-13. Since then, getting hold of drawings, even scanned ones, appears to be only possible by booking a visit or emailing in with an up to 20-day response time (although "at present it is taking longer to respond than usual"). 

Apologies, that's a little bit "man complains he can't have something for free", but at least thanks to someone's old forum screenshots we can have a semi-accurate locomotive model!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for interest, I model the grey SECR livery, used numbers from FOX transfers, still looking for a source of the cab side plates, also have just received the grey Bachmann "collectors club special" C class loco and tender body, available as spares, £64, I model in EM so will put a new chassis under, also have just completed converting the Rails/Dapol D1 to EM.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fulton said:

Just for interest, I model the grey SECR livery, used numbers from FOX transfers, still looking for a source of the cab side plates, also have just received the grey Bachmann "collectors club special" C class loco and tender body, available as spares, £64, I model in EM so will put a new chassis under, also have just completed converting the Rails/Dapol D1 to EM.  

Try Bill Bedford for the SE&CR cab side plates. He used to do them, not sure if he still does.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 17:44, thecheesemiester said:

Love the look of your C class SECR grey repaint on page 64. I have one i'm planning to give the same treatment but have been struggling to find the right transfers; where did you get yours from?

The transfers are from Fox, and the cab side plates are custom transfers that I drew up and got produced by Railway Mania. The paint is Humbrol 67 Tank Grey, a bit darker than most RTR manufacturers use but I think it gives the impression it's not fresh from the paint shop.

• Like 3

You might notice I've found a lining style I like... this loco was the reason for getting that set in the first place. It's missing some lining around the cab, and some on the sandboxes, but otherwise not too far off the real thing (the green looks darker in real life).

A couple of compromises - the wheels and wheelbase aren't quite perfect, but can't improve that without going to a custom chassis, I'd rather keep the RTR one for it's running qualities (especially now I've added a flywheel to it). This also means the tank is a tiny bit too tall (<1mm) but overall I think it works pretty well.

Still needs a light weathering, cab windows, Salter safety valves and some lead sheet in the tank. Happy with it for now though!

IMG_20231123_085939869.jpg.45c2191798eca4cb1a76513d2a7f3b65.jpg

IMG_20231122_231743116.jpg.3bc02814eaebdecc7baf4eda7f452e6f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

The paint is Humbrol 67 Tank Grey, a bit darker than most RTR manufacturers use but I think it gives the impression it's not fresh from the paint shop.

I've read that the lead-based grey paint used tended to darken gradually by reaction with sulphides in smoke and the atmosphere generally until it was practically black.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1