TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

On 31/03/2022 at 16:18, AlfaZagato said:

These look excellent.   Any plans for markings or lining?

Not on these two - they're up for sale, so I'm not going to put any more effort in at this point! I'm planning to make a couple more as I'm thinking about doing some changes to the cabs, but I can't justify keeping all of them.

20 hours ago, Ruston said:

I like the 0-4-2 and wouldn't mind making one myself. What wheels did you use for the pony wheels?

I cheated and 3D printed the wheels, I didn't have any tyres the right size at the time (they're a bit of an odd dimension if I remember right) and it helped me get the right spoke pattern too. Runs on a steel axle in a bit of brass tube as a bushing, and the assembly is sprung off the bottom of the chassis using foam so it runs properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

As mentioned in the last post, I'm having a bit of a clearout - after a moment of madness, I have too many Barclays... but also some other bits and pieces! Apologies for being a bit commercial, but there will be things of interest to some of those who read this thread.

Grant Ritchie 0-4-2ST: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886629310

Grant Ritchie 0-4-0ST: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294887631886

SECR d1553 brake van: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886613666

Lilliput Fireless loco body: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886588845

Ford Model A tourer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886597575

SECR grounded van body: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886584792

Ruston 48DS body and match truck: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294886575212

Naturally, any funds raised will be reinvested into other pointless railway ventures!

A bit of background; the design was prepared in 1905, essentially being a side tank version of the C Class - same boiler, cylinders, wheels and motion. Designed for short mainline goods, but eventually decided to be unnecessary as they could just use the C Classes for this. Thus none of the 'N Class' 0-6-2Ts were ever built.

I could have also used a Bachmann C Class as the starting point for the model, but this rather forlorn E4 was available cheap(ish) and I have less guilt chopping up a Brighton loco than an Ashford one 😁

Reduced to it's component parts - the chassis dismantled for repainting and the body to get replaced. The SECR loco had (would have had? I can't remember enough Douglas Adams for the correct part tense for something that didn't exist) much smaller tanks than the Brighton one, so the big footplate casting was in for some hacksaw surgery.

933885036_IMG_20210501_1148552.jpg.e05b1c4396b0e8506096a9faed603539.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

A bit of background; the design was prepared in 1905, essentially being a side tank version of the C Class - same boiler, cylinders, wheels and motion. Designed for short mainline goods, but eventually decided to be unnecessary as they could just use the C Classes for this. Thus none of the 'N Class' 0-6-2Ts were ever built.

I could have also used a Bachmann C Class as the starting point for the model, but this rather forlorn E4 was available cheap(ish) and I have less guilt chopping up a Brighton loco than an Ashford one 😁

Reduced to it's component parts - the chassis dismantled for repainting and the body to get replaced. The SECR loco had (would have had? I can't remember enough Douglas Adams for the correct part tense for something that didn't exist) much smaller tanks than the Brighton one, so the big footplate casting was in for some hacksaw surgery.

933885036_IMG_20210501_1148552.jpg.e05b1c4396b0e8506096a9faed603539.jpg

Nice tank engine idea, but wasn't the N Class classification already taken by the Maunsell N Class? Also, I hope it still works again after re-assembly.

Step 3: add some bodywork! The CAD took a couple of weeks to get right, but I think it looks the part now. The cab top is a separate part to make painting easier. Reusing the original footplate means this loco will have some significant weight to it when done, although the buffers will be slightly wrong.

1921275045_IMG_20210503_1536142.jpg.e63847ab034e1578b87c389a44947764.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

9 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Nice tank engine idea, but wasn't the N Class classification already taken by the Maunsell N Class? Also, I hope it still works again after re-assembly.

It's not my idea, blame Mr. Wainwright! The SECR drawing office developed this loco well before the Maunsell era - they just reused the classification later as no Wainwright N Classes were ever actually built.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

With details added, and primer, it's starting to look a bit more complete. And with the chassis painted, which means I'll be attempting Wainwright livery... eek

1141771221_IMG_20210514_1657102.jpg.9cfd141b4bcac62f261a15f3f5b22fbf.jpg

Well, good luck with that. It looks promising so far,

3 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Painting, part 1. Main colours on and ready for transfers, one of which can be seen in the photo - and is completely the wrong colour. Back to the drawing board...

IMG_20220130_210945.jpg.c881959401eb8cc7365d5656a0ebf65f.jpg

It might be as well to paint the areas which are going to be lining panelled with the green paint as it will give the correct background for the transfers. Its a pity those Wainwright lining transfers that South Eastern Finecast commissioned are no longer available.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Revised transfers on, the colour match is much better but some of the edges need tidying up, particularly around the cab windows.

IMG_20220320_135110.jpg.c43e8d5af2d6def5f36af1ea4ec2ec81.jpg

Amazing how well you pulled it off! It looks totally promising! Any Four and Six Wheel Coaches for her to haul?

Last pic for now, this is it's current state with buffers done, coupling hooks, coal, footplate lining added etc. Still more to do including lining the steps, adding numbers and a crew but I'm happy with how it looks so it can stay like this for a while.

IMG_20220407_083121.jpg.639f53c250f8fa2fb32af4c48235489b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Is that footplate lining transfer or paint? Looks bloody good!

As does the whole thing, and that backhead detail is really effective :) Nicely!

Thanks!

The lining under the footplate is a Fox yellow lining one, hence being a bit thicker than the lining on my transfers - for some reason the inner yellow panel lining shows up as much fainter yellow than the Fox one on camera, to the eye they're a pretty similar shade.

I'll confess the backhead detail is another part recycled from the unfortunate E4 - I found no reference material for the backhead detail of a non-existant locomotive, so I'll claim it's accurate!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Spent a bit of time working in N this week, a small diorama just as something different. It's a bit... generic? Wasn't going for anything in particular, just an excuse to try out a few techniques without the risk of messing up a 'proper' layout.

Now I need to think of something to go on that track...

IMG_20220418_100228.jpg.0cf37c1f05701df35108455fe84e6e28.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A van and a wagon for the layout recently completed, both with transfer artwork done by @Corbs - the tank wagon is one I made years ago with the same name, but was a little amateurish so I've kept the name but repainted and given it some proper transfers.

Maltby's Motor Works was a real company, and the premises is accurate, but it's unlikely they would have had a Thorneycroft!

IMG_20220501_115007.jpg.d5d1b030ca4b14db122f03f4b54fdec9.jpg

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Funny you should be completing this now.    Ruston has been milling one up of late, too.

Scroll back in this thread to March 31!

The original pair I made (0-4-0 and 0-4-2) were to test the concept and were done with my own 3D printer. Now I've uploaded the 3D printed bits to Shapeways  in case other people wanted to buy them as a sort of mini-kit. This 0-4-0 is the first one of those I'm trying with the Shapeways material. I'll then make another 0-4-2! I'm not even sure that makes sense myself 😄

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More work happening on coaching stock - the LCDR 25' 4-wheel set is getting a 5-comp Third and a 4-comp First! 

I have a lot of very tedious lining ahead of me...

I haven't done the interiors yet, but what colour would the seating be in the early SECR period? I have First, Second and Third in this train - I think First would be blue, and Third red, but not sure about those, and no idea on Second.

image.png.55bce5edf280eaf93e5c08da0bfdcae2.png

image.png.663663c3ae2854a7cf6dc93020c7ff6d.png

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3