TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

18 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Do you have a photo of the chassis without body? It would be interesting to see if a C14 conversion could be achievable.

Will this do? It's had the ends (which include the buffers) chopped off and the DCC bits taken off.

IMG_20211210_232200.jpg.c2d345311ae67a4f1a75eb8403caf650.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Will this do? It's had the ends (which include the buffers) chopped off and the DCC bits taken off.

IMG_20211210_232200.jpg.c2d345311ae67a4f1a75eb8403caf650.jpg

Let me get this right.  This is a Hornby Nellie chassis that they no longer make and the wheelbase is a scale 7ft 6"?  The reason I ask is that I have never made chassis before and I am looking for chassis for Sharp Stewart locos, one of which is a 0-4-2 and had a coupled wheelbase of 7ft 3", so it is only a millimetre out.  Whether it is too wide and the motor too big is another matter.

Thank you.

I am not sure I have seen models of fireless locos before, well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

Let me get this right.  This is a Hornby Nellie chassis that they no longer make and the wheelbase is a scale 7ft 6"?  The reason I ask is that I have never made chassis before and I am looking for chassis for Sharp Stewart locos, one of which is a 0-4-2 and had a coupled wheelbase of 7ft 3", so it is only a millimetre out.  Whether it is too wide and the motor too big is another matter.

Thank you.

I am not sure I have seen models of fireless locos before, well done.

This is a Bachmann/Lilliput chassis, I don't know about the Hornby Nellie chassis and don't own one be able to check. The 7ft 6in wheelbase measurement is approximate, it's probably done to a round number in HO scale, so probably won't be such a neat number in OO.

I don't think there's ever been a UK outline RTR Fireless, but there are a few models about, including my Barclay (sadly now sold, video below) and the thread that inspired this model - using the same starting point - a build by Gwynraven of this parish. I think my modifications will end up being a bit more extreme than theirs though!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Time for the bit you've all been waiting for, replacing the wheels!

I was dreading messing up the valve gear while doing this. I did try filing down the wheels first, which worked a bit, but they still looked too small and still caught on some of the trackwork.

Painted up some Scale-link 12mm ones - the tyres are a bit shiny but I find they need cleaning less often than other brands. I also had to cut some brass tube down to replace the bosses on the old wheels, and cut down some M1.2 screws to replace the originals which were too thin to work in the new wheels.

IMG_20220209_191534.jpg.4f964c40385b0cc7c3780a2ca7b69c6f.jpg

IMG_20220209_165655.jpg.fb51ec0bd297e502d9409920bdd2c96b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just to explain a little more about the wheel-swap, taking the wheels off was fairly easy, removing the crankpin screws, the valve gear held itself together. I had to remove one of the wheels from the driven axle to get access with a gear puller to get the drive gear off. 

The drive gear could then be fixed to the new Scale-link 3mm axle with a dot of superglue. Then the rest of the wheelset built up using a back-to-back gauge (working with drop-in RTR wheelsets is easier than having to poke axles through frames and square everything up in situ!). Finally, putting the valve gear back on with the brass tube bosses I made a few posts ago, and shortening a new fixing screw and reducing its head height to clear the valve gear. Phew!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

The Fireless build was supposed to be one post a day, but I've been away the last week (on a work boat in the North Sea - the weather was pretty "exciting")

Still, here's the final pics. Needs a bit of weathering to tone down the yellow, but I'm pretty happy with how different it looks from the starting point!

Also needs sandboxes, the wheel centres touching in and a couple of small details, but it's done for now.

IMG_20220213_151131.jpg.65ac65fab529faacc67a0549b4efa7ac.jpg

1298523048_IMG_20220212_2239112.jpg.fc12f4c11b37756ad2fcfb039f10306d.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

4 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

The Fireless build was supposed to be one post a day, but I've been away the last week (on a work boat in the North Sea - the weather was pretty "exciting")

Still, here's the final pics. Needs a bit of weathering to tone down the yellow, but I'm pretty happy with how different it looks from the starting point!

Also needs sandboxes, the wheel centres touching in and a couple of small details, but it's done for now.

IMG_20220213_151131.jpg.65ac65fab529faacc67a0549b4efa7ac.jpg

1298523048_IMG_20220212_2239112.jpg.fc12f4c11b37756ad2fcfb039f10306d.jpg

Nice work Mr Snail.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

I'm having a project dilemma - I've got hold of a Hattons' Barclay (poor thing doesn't know what's going to hit it). As with everything that comes my way, I'm going to ruin personalise it. I like the Grant Ritchie locos, so will make one of those, however, this is the choice I have to make:

1. 0-4-0st open cab, with porthole windows (pic from Ribble Steam Railway site). This would be a nice easy cab conversion only, maybe replacement cylinders, buffers and chimney if I'm feeling really prototypical, or
  2. 0-4-2st, involving a new cab, bunker, rear frames, bufferbeam, wheelset, buffers, chimney and some chopping of the chassis. This would be much harder to execute neatly with the frame extensions necessary. (pic from The Transport Library)

So, what should I go for?

image.png.003a8c5b57bd5fbc6b60c0a8475eea5a.png

image.png.afc24f73868ea159bcc580569fe4689a.png

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I'm having a project dilemma - I've got hold of a Hattons' Barclay (poor thing doesn't know what's going to hit it). As with everything that comes my way, I'm going to ruin personalise it. I like the Grant Ritchie locos, so will make one of those, however, this is the choice I have to make:

1. 0-4-0st open cab, with porthole windows (pic from Ribble Steam Railway site). This would be a nice easy cab conversion only, maybe replacement cylinders, buffers and chimney if I'm feeling really prototypical, or
  2. 0-4-2st, involving a new cab, bunker, rear frames, bufferbeam, wheelset, buffers, chimney and some chopping of the chassis. This would be much harder to execute neatly with the frame extensions necessary. (pic from The Transport Library)

So, what should I go for?

image.png.003a8c5b57bd5fbc6b60c0a8475eea5a.png

image.png.afc24f73868ea159bcc580569fe4689a.png

I would keep it simple, and go for the top one.

• RMweb Gold

Aha, so your question is really, “Which should I build first?”

To which the stock answer is, the easiest one.

But I say, you build the one you want most, as you will have more motivation to succeed.

Well, as long as the desire is about 2:1 or stronger in favour of one over the other.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to making another D1419 van, this one being numbered as one of the Ashford 1872 batch - the transfers are slightly wrong, but the best I can do with what I've got to hand. Simple vans, but I quite like their small size, only 8ft wheelbase in this case. 

IMG_20220314_120336.jpg.cab83bf6c3394d3b9037e8be7fde39d2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Finally got round to making another D1419 van, this one being numbered as one of the Ashford 1872 batch - the transfers are slightly wrong, but the best I can do with what I've got to hand. Simple vans, but I quite like their small size, only 8ft wheelbase in this case. 

IMG_20220314_120336.jpg.cab83bf6c3394d3b9037e8be7fde39d2.jpg

That looks really good.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...