BRM July '18 + DVD, BIGGEST-EVER DIGITAL EDITION

Howard Smith

Mike, the best week for overtime I recall was either  1981 or 82 at Hessle Haven. A spare Twelve hour Sunday, early turn and nights Monday, Twelve Hour nights Tuesday to Saturday, and somewhere among it all was a twelve hour restday. I took home approx £165, I was a very ritch man, I remember buying the Hull & Barnsley Rly Vol 11 from the procedes, about eleven quid, something, I would not normally afford.

Attached the drawing I should have sent to BRM.

post-702-0-04938100-1529435388_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Don't forget; today is BRM day with the July issue now on sale - yes the DVD is there this month!

Addison Road is a superb layout, add Sidmouth and Shelfie to the mix and it really is about quality this month.

35769641_1980502621982768_70787845239571

INSIDE THE JULY ISSUE...
Kensington Addison Road Station (O) - the inspiration, research and space considerations that entailed in its creation
Sidmouth (P4) - an admirable and accurate depiction of its prototype
Allanbridge (OO) - how one club dismantled its layout and built a bigger and better one with the same name
Shelfie (OO) - an exhibition favourite proves size is no impediment to operational enjoyment

Detail a Hornby Class 31 - Michael Russell upgrades this model with details befitting the prototype
Print and build a coal office kit on a budget - we show you how
Make coal loads look more realistic - real coal is the only way!
Cakebox Challenge - Howard Smith creates a London rush hour feel on his Underground diorama

Trade News from Hatton's, Zimo, new locomotives and more
The latest railway books for your collection
New models and the latest new gear
Reviewed: Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single No. 1

Make a budget garden railway
A beginner's guide to signalling with semaphores
A lifetime in signalling - a signalling professional recalls an eventful, fulfilling and occasionally exhausting career
Postcards from Canada - a visual guide to Phil Parker's recent trip to Canada
Inbox: your letters, thoughts and modelling projects
Tail Lamp: Collecting vintage DCC equipment

• RMweb Gold

This is a very good issue. Worth having for the lovely photos of Shelfie alone.

Rob.

And Addison Road, and Sidmouth, and, and, and

Our chum Paul Marshall Potter took far more pictures of Shelfie than we could possibly use in the print edition. Happily, they're all included in the digital version of the magazine - https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine. Part two of our Addison Road coverage to follow in our August issue, out July 19th. 

Hi,

I hope that there is a signalling special relating to colour lights in the future...  :mail:

Anyways, looks like a good issue, I'll pick up a copy at lunch tomorrow!

Simon

The "Station Master" is your man to right about Colour Light Signals.

Yep, Mick Nicholson, above, supplies our other signalling article in this month's edition. In his four-page feature he explains real-world signalling practices, and how you might apply them to your layout. It's good stuff, so do check it out at https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine, and prepare to be dazzled by all the extra content we've managed to cram into the digital magazine.

• Administrators

Digital content tends to be exclusive to that medium. Some eventually makes it's way to the DVD which has a much longer lead time, but things like photo galleries wouldn't be practical.

It's a reflection of the much lower costs of digital distribution that we are keen to promote it, although paper has many, many more years of life in it. 

Some of you (hopefully many of you!) might want to see Twickenham & District MRC's 7mm layout ADDISON ROAD in the flesh.......

Well, it will have a static display at Twickenham & District MRC's Open Day on July 21st, unfortunately there's no room this year to have it up and running, the Grant and the team will be there and will be happy to meet you.

BTW - the reason that I emphasise the 'Twickenham & District' bit is that one of the active Addison Road members lives in Chicago - you can't get more '& District' than that!

Joking apart, with the layout 99% built, the team's attention has turned to exhibitions and the present Addison Road group is very small and it welcomes new members to bolster the operating team - even if you live abroad!

So why not come down on July 21st and meet the team? New members very welcome!

• Moderators

Hi,

I hope that there is a signalling special relating to colour lights in the future...  :mail:

Anyways, looks like a good issue, I'll pick up a copy at lunch tomorrow!

Simon

How did you know? ;) Have you not finished that book yet?

How did you know? ;) Have you not finished that book yet?

I'm getting there, 34,000 words now, in fact I might send you guys some of it for advice! :help:

I have picked up a copy and I'll read it with a cup of tea when I get back this evening!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Don't forget; today is BRM day with the July issue now on sale - yes the DVD is there this month!

Addison Road is a superb layout, add Sidmouth and Shelfie to the mix and it really is about quality this month.

35769641_1980502621982768_70787845239571

Gentlemen of BRM, a question!

Where the above picture clearly shows a price of £4.75, I noticed in my local branch of Tesco this morning, the same magazine in a sealed bag priced at £5.49. Not the shop's mistake, as the price is printed on the mag cover in the same place alongside the bar code as above.

Why the discrepancy??

Gentlemen of BRM, a question![/font][/color]

Where the above picture clearly shows a price of £4.75, I noticed in my local branch of Tesco this morning, the same magazine in a sealed bag priced at £5.49. Not the shop's mistake, as the price is printed on the mag cover in the same place alongside the bar code as above.

Why the discrepancy??

Did that one come with a bonus Garden Rail mag Pete?

Did that one come with a bonus Garden Rail mag Pete?

It might have done, I didn't really notice, just saw the price!

I get mine shop saved at my local model shop!

Would explain the difference anyway.

• Administrators

The supermarket deal is a copy of BRM bundled with this excellent issue of Garden Rail. We do this to promote another magazine in the group (similar deals are run with NGW, EiM and Traction during the year) and also because running them encourages the supermarkets to put our magazines in more branches. Mr Tesco and friends can be a bit stubborn when a small company like Warners wants to appear on their shelves, but this sort of thing persuades them.

Digital readers of BRM get the same bundle + all the lovely juicy extra content that can't be fitted on the page, all for £3.99 for a single issue. Even less if you take up our bonkers cheap subscription deal

I do feel as a print only subscriber that we do get the rough end of the deal slightly. the digital group get extra content every month, and the garden railway mag this month, surely some of the extra videos would fit onto the dvd that the print only people get?

Then I wander round Tesco and shoppers, not subscribers, get a bonus mag. I subscribe to other magazines as well as BRM and I do feel that out of all, BRM offers very little for its print only customers, we seem to play second fiddle to the constant pushing of the digital edition.

However Phils piece in tail lamp, imminent arrival and the 31 article I did enjoy this month

• Administrators

Then I wander round Tesco and shoppers, not subscribers, get a bonus mag. I subscribe to other magazines as well as BRM and I do feel that out of all, BRM offers very little for its print only customers, we seem to play second fiddle to the constant pushing of the digital edition.

Except that shoppers pay more, as has been mentioned above, for the extra magazine. Quite a bit more than subscribers are paying.

As far as digital goes, it IS the future and we can either embrace it as we are doing or stick our heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening. Personally, I like a paper magazine and dead trees aren't going anywhere in the near future, but if the magazine is to remain viable for years to come, then we need to keep looking ahead. The lower costs of a digital subscription (distribution is a LOT cheaper so we pass the saving on) also allow cash-strapped modellers who might otherwise not subscribe to read BRM.

Having said that, digital does feed back to paper - today Andy and I have been at an event generating both video and paper content that we probably couldn't have justified for either video or paper alone. For both though, it's worth doing the work so everyone benefits.

• RMweb Gold

As far as digital goes, it IS the future and we can either embrace it as we are doing or stick our heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening. Personally, I like a paper magazine and dead trees aren't going anywhere in the near future, but if the magazine is to remain viable for years to come, then we need to keep looking ahead. The lower costs of a digital subscription (distribution is a LOT cheaper so we pass the saving on) also allow cash-strapped modellers who might otherwise not subscribe to read BRM.

I would broadly agree with you Phil, despite my own Luddite tendencies. That said, in your race for and promotion of digital you do have to be careful not to alienate the current readership with the penny pinching printing of the mag on Izal and too many offers not available to paper readers. I'm not convinced that BRM/Warners always get the balance right.

Jerry 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would broadly agree with you Phil, despite my own Luddite tendencies. That said, in your race for and promotion of digital you do have to be careful not to alienate the current readership with the penny pinching printing of the mag on Izal and too many offers not available to paper readers. I'm not convinced that BRM/Warners always get the balance right.

Jerry 

If you think the paper BRM use is bad, you should have seen what Model Rail used to have to use - imposed by Bauer Media I might add. When I bought paper copies Hornby Mag had far and away the best "handle" due to the quality and weight of paper used.

I think the current subs offer of a Kindle is genius, you get the tool to view the product free!

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps there is a way that those of us who prefer the paper version, could also see the extra stuff the digital subscribers get. I would be quite happy to have the paper version in my workbag where it gets read between jobs, and read the extra didital content at home on my computer.

• Like 2