Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Hi Luke, that wagon looks good painted, hand painted lettering is something I struggle with, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but a good layer of dirt helps.

My method of painting comes from war-gaming, so I’d recommend a black wash which should fill all the gaps where the planks meet. Then dry brush some brown and a dash of grey/green. Except of course if you want clean, well maintained wagons!

So, what will the load be?

Hi thunderforge, for weathering card wagons I normally dry brush the wagon body and airbrush the frames with a dirty brown with greasy highlights. I normally use a wash on plastic based models but card seems to a absorb it too much so brush strokes are more visible. For the load I am thinking of making a variety of different ones that are removable. These ideas include some barrels, some large wooden crates,timber, pipes and really anything else like that. When I make a coal wagon then i will use that wagon specifically for coal traffic.

Well the heat is here. Its been boiling today and it still is in Yorkshire. Far to hot for me so I can get quite frustrated easily with stupid things like duff electrics. I had ordered a brand new 12v power supply for the led lights for Cronton colliery sheds and after waiting two weeks (the ebay delivery time said 4 days) it came today. I quickly wired it into the system and tested it and it wasn't outputting any current. I checked it again and the transformer was kicking out 12v but the cable adapter supplied was a duff. Frustrating as I will probably have to wait another 2 weeks to get a replacement. Oh well at least the transformer works. Now over to the distillery layout, I'm still waiting for some SDPT switches to arrive which will let me wire up the points. In the meantime i will have to treat the track as dead so I can only pose stock on the layout. Here is my dj models j94 with the gnsr wagon and a Hornby 4 wheel coach.post-32204-0-11121000-1529941229_thumb.jpg I have a surplus of the chassis used for the 4 wheel coach so I may try to design a GNSR style coach body to go on them. I would probably produce a drawing on the computer then print it off and build the bodies to suit it. Also, im trying to get another small chassis to build on of these 1 plank wagons.post-32204-0-41866000-1529941394_thumb.jpg Again I have printed off some scale drawings to work from which will make everything easier and more accurate. Until I can source that chassis i have got to finish this small hut I'm scratch building for a friend. It's a model of this hut at levisham on the NYMR.post-32204-0-34120700-1529941528_thumb.jpg Here is my current progress on it.post-32204-0-57263400-1529941565_thumb.jpg So far I've built the sub structure out of card awaiting clap boarding and a roof then a door and a window. Hope I haven't bored any of you by turning this post into a bit of a workbench post. Tonight i plan to weather the current gnsr wagon to some level and start work on a load. Thanks for looking. :)

post-32204-0-80637500-1529941530_thumb.jpg

Well I finally have some proper progress on the layout to share. My sdpt switches finally arrived which was a relief because i was wondering where they had got to. This allowed me to use the wire in tube method for point control. This method really lends itself to micro layouts and its very simple. This is my first time using it and I will be using it again! Here is a picture of it.post-32204-0-64289300-1530283610_thumb.jpg The tube is an empty ink cartridge from a biro pen which was blown through with an airbrush then cleaned with water. This meant that I got basically free tubes. The wire is some fairly rigid stuff I had lying about and it was bent around the point and the switch. Now that the points were wired up I can run some trains and bed the layout in. So far this has been good fun but its made me realise how much I need that fiddle yard extension. I hope to build that and the fascia next week if I can squeeze in a visit to the timber yard at the weekend. Here is a picture of a stage in the running sessionpost-32204-0-12870500-1530283819_thumb.jpg Also, to allow a full operating potential, I dcc chipped my first distillery engine - my j94. This was hard wired with a Hornby 8 pin dcc chip. It now runs brilliantly. The plan is to de brand it of its br text and number and give it a filthy weathering then order a name plate and fit it. Any name suggestions? Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 2

Well I finally have some proper progress on the layout to share. My sdpt switches finally arrived which was a relief because i was wondering where they had got to. This allowed me to use the wire in tube method for point control. This method really lends itself to micro layouts and its very simple. This is my first time using it and I will be using it again! Here is a picture of it.attachicon.gifWP_20180629_15_44_07_Pro.jpg The tube is an empty ink cartridge from a biro pen which was blown through with an airbrush then cleaned with water. This meant that I got basically free tubes. The wire is some fairly rigid stuff I had lying about and it was bent around the point and the switch. Now that the points were wired up I can run some trains and bed the layout in. So far this has been good fun but its made me realise how much I need that fiddle yard extension. I hope to build that and the fascia next week if I can squeeze in a visit to the timber yard at the weekend. Here is a picture of a stage in the running sessionattachicon.gifWP_20180629_15_44_00_Pro.jpg Also, to allow a full operating potential, I dcc chipped my first distillery engine - my j94. This was hard wired with a Hornby 8 pin dcc chip. It now runs brilliantly. The plan is to de brand it of its br text and number and give it a filthy weathering then order a name plate and fit it. Any name suggestions? Thanks for looking. :)

How about General Malt or Ben Nevis for the name plate?

Hi everyone, I seem to have got a boost of motivation with this layout as everything is progressing quite quickly. This morning I have made the removable fiddle yard extension. This is made out of a thick off cut of ply from a skip and some metal plates which were made for me by my grandad. On test with some kitchen weights, it can hold more than a kilo at the furthest point along the extension. It is secured by 4 wooden dowls which are sunk into the main baseboard and glued in with a little pva. These provide a secure and quite strong connection and I have the option to replace them with bolts in the future if desired. Here are some pictures of that:post-32204-0-60106100-1530355246_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-48465200-1530355261_thumb.jpg Not too bad and as you can see it's the length of a class 25. Right off I go to the timber yard to pick up my 8 by 4 sheet of ply to do the fascia with. Thanks for looking. :)

post-32204-0-36204400-1530355263_thumb.jpg

Luke, are you going to put some sort of stop at the end? That loco looks mighty close to the end, one mishap with the controller direction doesn't bear thinking about!

Steve.

Hi everyone, I seem to have got a boost of motivation with this layout as everything is progressing quite quickly. This morning I have made the removable fiddle yard extension. This is made out of a thick off cut of ply from a skip and some metal plates which were made for me by my grandad. On test with some kitchen weights, it can hold more than a kilo at the furthest point along the extension. It is secured by 4 wooden dowls which are sunk into the main baseboard and glued in with a little pva. These provide a secure and quite strong connection and I have the option to replace them with bolts in the future if desired. Here are some pictures of that:attachicon.gifWP_20180630_10_40_14_Pro.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20180630_10_40_26_Pro.jpg Not too bad and as you can see it's the length of a class 25. Right off I go to the timber yard to pick up my 8 by 4 sheet of ply to do the fascia with. Thanks for looking. :)

I like the way this is developing. Are you thinking of putting two more pegs next to the other track, so you could move the fiddlestick between the tracks to create a run-round?

I like the way this is developing. Are you thinking of putting two more pegs next to the other track, so you could move the fiddlestick between the tracks to create a run-round?

Actually at the moment i have no intention of adding an additional extension/extension point. The reason for this is because there wouldn't really have been a run around because the second track is distillery branch so the main line locos would never really venture up there. The track with the current extension is the main line leading to the distillery and it needs to be longer so it can hold larger trains.

Afternoon everyone, I have made more progress with the distillery layout. At the weekend I made some progress with the fascia. It is made of 4mm plywood with areas reinforced with some 6mm ply wood off cut strips. The makes it fairly strong though it needs more supports around the top hence the masking tape which is just holding everything together at the moment. I had an interesting experience on the way home from the timber merchant as the peice of ply wood managed to free itself from the straps holding it down to the roof of the car. It had split in half so we ran out, collected the pieces and decided to carry them home instead of strapping them to the roof again. Oh well. At least we didnt cause a car crash! Anyway, here is a picture of the current state of the layout.post-32204-0-06169200-1530539459_thumb.jpg Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 4

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68909-bridge-of-alford/?hl=%2Bbridge+%2Bof+%2Balford

Here's a link to a distillery layout I built a few years back, if you want any info let me know

Ian B

Hi Ian your layout looks fantastic and you've captured a really nice atmosphere. May I ask what you used to achieve the stone work of the distillery buildings. I'm currently looking into building some distillery buildings myself and wondered what you had used.

Hi Ian your layout looks fantastic and you've captured a really nice atmosphere. May I ask what you used to achieve the stone work of the distillery buildings. I'm currently looking into building some distillery buildings myself and wondered what you had used.

Hi Luke,

It's Slaters random stone painted dirty white, hope that helps!

Ian B

Hi Luke - enjoying this thread. I’ve been checking out locomotives for the two layouts I’m working on and got side tracked reading up about the Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST ‘Dailuaine’ No.1 which served the distillery of the same name. My great grandfather grew up in a cottage next to Dailuaine, which was apparently the first distillery to have the characteristic pagoda roof! There are some lovely names in Strathspey which might inspire you to create one for this model?

Marlyn

Looks a nice little layout Luke, will follow along; in case you missed it there was a series on building a very nice Distillery micro layout in Hornby Magazine a few months back, not too dissimilar to yours in size. Iirc some of the buildings were Bachmann on that, but there is nothing like making your own to suit.

Martyn.

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind comments. Regarding the distillery layout built in Hornby magazine, I have most of those articles and they have been a great inspiration to me. I will have to have a look on some maps Marlyn to see what i can find. Dailuaine distillery has been a big source of photos for me so it would be nice to base ny layout around it in the local area. I have made more good progress with the layout so I will write that up and upload it here later today. Cheers.

• Like 1

Great video Luke, I'm looking forward to seeing the layout grow. I'd like to see something on the point operation.

Thanks.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. There seems to have been quote a bit od interest in the point control so I will make a video about it and try to get it sorted by early next week. I think it would be easier and shorter to explain it in a video rather than in a written explanation on here. Cheers, Luke

Hi everyone, I thought that I would share with you a but on my j94 which I have weathered ready for service as a distillery shunter. It is a dj models j94 and has had the br branding removed so it resembles an industrial loco. It was airbrushed over with a general grimy grey colour before having some humbrol rust powder put in the front of the smoke box door and a crew fitted. The foot steps were also dry brushed very lightly with a sliver acrylic so that it looks like the paint and grime has been worn away by constant use. I need to order a set of name plates off narrow planet and I think I will call the engine ben nevis as I quite like the idea lf naming the loco after an icon pf scotland. Maybe the next distillery shunter should be named thistle? ;) Here's a picture of the j94 in it's current state.post-32204-0-37515500-1530955403_thumb.jpg thanks for looking. :)

• Like 4