Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Elgin Library hold a number of Charles Doig's plans, however when I enquired about obtaining a copy, they quoted £200.00, just too much for me!

There are several on line now.

Ian B

Changed days, Ian! I was given full size copies of linen plans, as a student, back in the 1970s. This year our history society paid £50 for an aerial photograph to be scanned and a digital copy made available for use in our exhibition. We are only a small voluntary community group contributing our time and skills to preserve our local history!

Changed days, Ian! I was given full size copies of linen plans, as a student, back in the 1970s. This year our history society paid £50 for an aerial photograph to be scanned and a digital copy made available for use in our exhibition. We are only a small voluntary community group contributing our time and skills to preserve our local history!

Yes things have changed! I have several publications on Distilleries which contain some drawings. I based my model 'Bridge of Alford' on the Towiemore buildings, chiefly because these were linear and suited the baseboard, however, Balblair Distillery is my favourite and would make a great model,. Sorry Luke I hope you don't think I am hijacking your thread, looking forward to seeing your pagoda when it's finished, watch out for the complex curves in the roof. How is your spherical trig? lol!

• Like 1

Yes things have changed! I have several publications on Distilleries which contain some drawings. I based my model 'Bridge of Alford' on the Towiemore buildings, chiefly because these were linear and suited the baseboard, however, Balblair Distillery is my favourite and would make a great model,. Sorry Luke I hope you don't think I am hijacking your thread, looking forward to seeing your pagoda when it's finished, watch out for the complex curves in the roof. How is your spherical trig? lol!

well my spherical trig is non existent! It will probably be a case of trial by error. I'm thinking of building that structure after I build the storage building which backs onto the loading dock. I think it's ridiculous the prices they charge for plans. Very few modellers are making a profit from them and they are only being used to conserve and recreate history. I think they should be free of charge personally.
  • Like 1

Today I have built a static grass applicator for £2.68 . I used the electric fly swatter method (using a sieve and a fly swatter) and it works really well. I've already given myself a nasty shock from it though. Here is a picture of the finished applicator.post-32204-0-01871800-1534249639_thumb.jpg Also today I bought a tin of Matt black paint which I will paint the layouts fascia with tonight if I get the time. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

That's a neat job for such an evil-looking contraption! How easy was the conversion? I might have to try one myself in the future, but I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

It was really easy. I think some of the YouTube videos over complicate it but it's basically just desoldering two connectors and soldering on 2 of your own. Simples. I will post some more pictures my applicator soon including the inside of it. Would highly recommend it and it is quite a cheap project. (mine cost me £2.70)

Progress with the layout continues with the fascia now being painted. When I went paint shopping I couldn't find any affordable Matt black emulsion paint (I only looked in town not on the wider internet) so I settled with chalk board paint. This gives a very flat finish and makes the layout look a bit dull. All that should change once I start to add some scenery though. Here is a picture of it (sorry it's not great, it's just a quick phone snap).post-32204-0-95192800-1534364228_thumb.jpg I have also made a start on the building which will back onto the loading dock. So far I have made a ply wood shell for it and covered it in a layer of multi purpose filler. This should mean that I can carve the stone work in once dry. Today I ordered some bits from Hattons which are just some general supplies as well as some kadees and a grain wagon. I'm toying with the idea of ordering a TTS sound decoder for the class 20 but my controller isn't able to change CVS. Do the newer decoders have this issue sorted or would I need to consult a higher power to sort it out for me?

• Like 1

Hi Luke, I paint the exterior of my workshop and potting shed with a Sadolin paint in a grey colour called ‘Volcanic Ash’ and have been using this to ‘finish off’ the bare wood around my layouts. It’s a bit softer on the eye than the ‘blackboard’ paint which I have used in the past.

Edited by Marly51

Hi Luke, I paint the exterior of my workshop and potting shed with a Sadolin paint in a grey colour called ‘Volcanic Ash’ and have been using this to ‘finish off’ the bare wood around my layouts. It’s a bit softer on the eye than the ‘blackboard’ paint which I have used in the past.

I think if I was to paint it again I wouldnt go for the black finish as you say it is a bit harsh. There are a couple reasons why I didn't go for grey, firstly I didn't think that I could get a fabric colour which would perfectly match the colour of the paint as I would want to make a fabric skirts for the layout when it will be exhibited. Another reason why I chose not to go for grey was that the layout that really inspired me was Nigel Burkins Loch Dhu Distillery and he painted his layout grey and I didn't want to copy him too much (I have already borrowed some of his track plan). I may repaint in the future but if I do it will be quite a while off. I think the effect will change once I decide on a name and get that stuck onto the top of the baseboard and print off a layout diagram to go on the front. Just stuff to break up the blackness really. Thanks for looking . :)
  • Like 1

Another reason why I chose not to go for grey was that the layout that really inspired me was Nigel Burkins Loch Dhu Distillery and he painted his layout grey and I didn't want to copy him too much (I have already borrowed some of his track plan).

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Stu

Hi everyone. Today I received an order from scale model railway scenery. As usual a fantastic fast service with great products. Now before the rivet counters step in, I know the tail lamps I bought say GWR on the packet but they look like fairly standard lamps to me. Anyway, here is a picture of the bits I got post-32204-0-69610600-1534450546_thumb.jpg I will be painting up the barrels. They are the cheapest ones I could find at about £5.50 for a pack of 20. Because they're 3d printed the print lines are a little obvious so some sandpaper may be necessary. I'm probably going to batch paint them with the airbrush tomorrow. Another bit of progress is that I have stuck the loading dock down in its final position so I can ballast around it once the ballast comes. Tomorrow I've got the day off work so I will be prepping Cronton Colliery sheds for its exhibition and maybe getting some bits done on this layout. Thanks for looking. :)

Hi everyone, well I'm back from the Pickering exhibition with everything in one piece. The show went really well but more about that in a different layout thread. On the distillery layout I have ballasted the whole thing with woodland scenics fine light grey ballast. This is quite close to scale and will look much more like distillery/branch line ballast once I have dirtied it with the airbrush.post-32204-0-28710400-1534710258_thumb.jpg A Hattons parcel arrived which contained my first sound decoder. It's a TTS one for one of the 20s. I've chipped 20141 (br green with full yellow ends) but can swap and share the chassis between the 20s. I had to hardwire the decoder in and swap the supplied speaker out for a sugar cube. It's a bit quieter but still sounds great. I look forward to future sound decoders! Also I have picked up some more rolling stock. A grain wagon from Hattons and 2 heavily weathered Bachmann private owner wagons. At £4 each at the exhibition I couldn't leave them there. They look to be the newer release ones and are fitted with kadees which is a bonus for me! I might get some more work done on the layout tomorrow as I'm off work but I still need to unpack the majority of the Cronton Colliery stuff I took to the exhibition. Thanks for looking. :)

Over the weekend and yesterday I have been working on the other distillery building which is the storage warehouse which backs onto the loading dock. It was made out of a 4mm ply wood shell covered in plaster the scribed to represent stone work. This was painted with the airbrush before being roofed with wills slates. These were painted with various shades of humbrol enamels. I do a base paint of dark grey the blend in lighter shades on top of that. It gives a general variation in tones which I quite like. I am still to dry brush some other shades on top of it and weather it. I have installed a loading crane though that needs painting and detailing. The door is still to be made and and painted. When I was sticking the roof down I noticed that I had damaged the plaster which must have meant that the plaster I covered the building in was too soft. I will have to touch it up with some paint and maybe put some varnish over the buildings. Here is a picture of the building post-32204-0-53560200-1534839849_thumb.jpg The picture definitely isn't the best but for now it's just quick snaps off the phone. Once the ballast is weathered and I've got some grass down then I will set up the camera and do a proper photo shoot of the layout and record a running video for YouTube. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 3

Thanks Saltburn. This morning I began work on a small rock face for the cutting. So that I don't have to repeat myself and make another retaining wall, I have decided to make a small rock face for the opposite hill when it meets the railway line. A coat of all purpose filler was spread messily over it but being careful not to get it on the track work or ballast. post-32204-0-29557400-1534926837_thumb.jpg tonight I will paint the rock face and give all the built up hills an under coat of brown paint. If I have more time then I will try to paint the sandpaper and maybe weather the ballast with the airbrush. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

Here is the update of the progress on the layout over the last two days. Firstly I have painted the undercoat of the landscape which is now finsihed off. The sand paper has also been painted with a thinned enamel paint. Here is a picture:post-32204-0-07312400-1535188116_thumb.jpg in the top left hand corner of the photo you'll be able to see some static grass experiments I've done on some scrap corrugated cardboard. I'm quite pleased how it looks and have got an idea for how the layout will look. Before I can do that though I will need to weather the ballast to make it much darker and dirtier like in the prototype photos. I hope to update you all soon on that. Im also thinking of starting work on a small tin bothy which will sit on the painted sand paper. Thanks for looking. :)