Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Thank you all for your kind comments on my j94. I have installed layout lighting recently to enhance the layout and make it more photographic. It would also allow it to appear at exhibitions despite the lighting qualities there. This has been achieved with a single strip of warm white leds which I have super glued to some of the reinforcing of the front of the layout.post-32204-0-98738900-1531324280_thumb.jpg From what I've found with it, it has made a huge difference to the overall appearance of the layout and makes it more appealing. Another job I have done is reinforced the top of fascia. This was done with wood glue and old scrap jenga blocks. Today I have filmed a video on how I have done the wire in tube point control method and I'll finish that off alter this week. Cheers and its coming home!!!!

• Like 1

As i mentioned yesterday, here is the first update of the actual distillery buildings. I wanted something low relief and not to complicated to build so just a general distillery building. After consulting some photos of various distilleries (including dailuaine) I came up with the idea of a small two story building made of stone with a slate roof. When i was just looking around my modelling area I found this metcalfe terraced house kit I wad given quite a while ago.post-32204-0-19777500-1531477413_thumb.jpg Now I'm not a massive fan of metcalfe kits as to me they dont look that realistic amd everyone seems to use them so this kit would need some quite serious modification to turn it into a distillery building but this kit seemed to have the right shape and a decent length of 25cm. I assembled the kit nearly as metcalfe instructs but I didnt add any of the bay windows or gardens. I also blanked off most of the windows and all the doors.post-32204-0-07879000-1531477588_thumb.jpg So far so good and the thick card of the metcalfe buildings made it feel robust and fairly strong. To achieve the more realistic stone work/texture I could have either carved the stones into plaster or I could have used plastikard. Due to the fact that I didnt have any plasticard I decided to carve the stones. This will be a very time consuming process but from my experience the results are definitely worth it. In preparation of the stone carving I covered the building with all purpose filler/plaster and I then left it in the airing cupboard over night to harden. post-32204-0-01786500-1531477825_thumb.jpg Now todays job will be to carve all the stones in! Thanks for looking and I hope to update you tomorrow on the progress of the building.

• Like 1

I have to admit I was sceptical when I saw what you were starting with (in terms of being part of a distillery), but what a difference with the mods you have made! Should look right at home as a part of the distillery.

Hope the scribing turns out well!

I have to admit I was sceptical when I saw what you were starting with (in terms of being part of a distillery), but what a difference with the mods you have made! Should look right at home as a part of the distillery.

Hope the scribing turns out well!

Hi Signaller69, I must admit I was a bit uncertain myself too but after 3 hours of scribing today I'm beginning to see it fit in more. Hopefully I can get some paint on it and show it to you all tomorrow.
  • Like 2

A good deal of work has been able to be done to this distillery building. Yesterday I spent 3 hours scribing all the stone work in. I started at the windows and cornerstones then worked my way across then down. Its a labour of love really and it is incredibly brain numbing so I always have something on in the background to keep me motivated and interested. Here is a picture of the scribed stone work.post-32204-0-89257600-1531558432_thumb.jpg At this point I had fitted the windows supplied by metcalfe and re-roofed the roof with wills plasticard sheets. I had planned to lay the slates individually by myself but I didnt think that I could lay them neat enough. Now onto the painting. The stone in the prototype pictures seems to have a light tan shade to them so I airbrushed a thinned down Humbrol enamel tan colour over the whole model. As soon as I had airbrushed this over I wiped the windows clean with a cotton bud.post-32204-0-86567800-1531558617_thumb.jpg To get the overall grey colour and to get it to varying shades I airbrushed a thinned down Humbrol black enamel paint on top of the tan. Again I wiped the windows clean as soon as I had airbrushed over. This has given them a slightly grimy look and I think I will keep the metcalfe windows in for now. One advantage of using the airbrush instead of a wash is that you still get the lighter coloured mortar lines.At this stage i also painted the slates with a dark grey enamel then dotted some dots of light grey on top of that then blended them in to get some varying shades. It could do with some dry brushing but for now I'm quite happy with how it looks.post-32204-0-31181000-1531558811_thumb.jpg Well I'm very happy how this has turned out. I kind of made the method up as I went along. Also considering i started with a metcalfe terraced house kit I feel that I've made it quite unrecognisable but it does really show the flexibility of these kits. Now that this structure is done I can turn my attention to the landscaping and the bridge which will hide the entrance to the fiddle yard. I need to paint the backscene but that will have to wait until I get some paint.

• Like 6

A good deal of work has been able to be done to this distillery building. Yesterday I spent 3 hours scribing all the stone work in. I started at the windows and cornerstones then worked my way across then down. Its a labour of love really and it is incredibly brain numbing so I always have something on in the background to keep me motivated and interested. Here is a picture of the scribed stone work.

Yes, scribing takes a while Luke, but the result is worth it!

Marlyn

Morning everyone. Yesterday I painted the interior of the ply wood box a light blue colour as a start of the backscene. This was some white house hold emulsion paint with a little bit of blue acrylic mixed in. With the largest paint brush available tk me only an inch wide it took quite a while to do the whole thing. Watching the world cup made for a good distraction to keep me painting. It was left in the sun so that the paint would dry quite quickly. Next I added some corrugated card board risers to begin the landscaping. These were cut out from an amazon box and hot glue gunned in place. Here are some photos of it and they include the full rosta for the layout.post-32204-0-65839300-1531645682_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-44359000-1531645701_thumb.jpg Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 3

Evening all. This was actually sorted out yesterday before i painted the back scene but I thought it would still be worth sharing with you. I have made a start on the road over bridge which crosses the railway line at the entrance to the fiddle yard. I just cut it to shape from some 5mm foamboard amd have put a coat of plaster on it ready for scribing.post-32204-0-84536300-1531762407_thumb.jpg Its not a massive job but it should allow me to properly begin the landscaping. I am also thinking of moving this thread to the main layout section as it is too large to be classed as micro. I don't think that this really matters but since I want to get this layout on the exhibition circuit, I would like to make it more mainstream and better known. Thanks for looking. :)

Is your layout longer than 4ft now, Luke? Carl Arendt specified a maximum size of 4 sq ft for a Micro Layout.

Marlyn

Hi Maryln, the layout's length isn't the issue (as long as it doesnt have the extension on) it's the width. The width measures 13 and 1/2 inches making it larger than 4 foot square. Im afraid its a bit of a fraud but its only just occured to me to measure the boards.

You’ll have to file a bit off or the thread police will get you!

The building looks great, it’s a really interesting conversion of the Metcalfe kit. How is the join between the clay and the card? I’d be worried about it separating.

Or to avoid the thread police i could put the layout on its end then it would fit in the 4x1 foot print. I didnt actually use clay on the building but all purpose filler /plaster. The bond between the card and the carved stone plaster is quite good. I mixed some pva glue in the mix which makes a stronger bond.
  • Like 1

Well I've changed my mind about building this layout in the main layout section. Instead I have decided to show the build in the micro layout section and the completed layout in the main layout section. Since the last update I have weathered the track. I just sprayed the whole thing with Humbrol enamel number 98. post-32204-0-64276000-1532278460_thumb.jpg I have also carved the long stone retaining wall which runs along the inside of the embankment. With it being 3 foot long it took a bit of time to carve it all and I painted it using the normal method.post-32204-0-63290000-1532278609_thumb.jpg Next up I think I will tackle the large distillery storage building which will be attached to a wooden loading platform. At the moment a house move is very likely in the near future. We would be moving a mile down the road and there would be a railway room for me there so hopefully this wont hinder the progress on the layout. Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Well the heat wave prevails and my modelling time decreases even further. I am currently doing quite a bit of railway volunteer work which is good fun but it cuts down my modelling time significantly. I have managed to get a bit done today. I have begun the land scaping and put down some paper mache on the card board risers. It has only been done on one side as I haven't had time to do the other side yet.post-32204-0-76139700-1532539194_thumb.jpg there are gaps left in certain places to allow the structures to slot in. These have been tested but the structures have been removed to prevent everything sticking together. At the monent I am scratch building a scale model of thurso station building in n gauge. Fair enough to say that it is quite a time consuming task and its even more fiddly in n gauge! Anyway, thanks for looking and I'll keep you posted with any updates. :)

• Like 2