Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Luke. Great pictures and the layout looks super. Are the little cut outs on the fascia access to the point switches?

Will you be adding the name of the layout to the fascia? Some vinyl stickers would finish it off well.

Thanks Chris, yes the holes in the fascia are for the point switches. I will be adding a name soon I just can't decide what colour it should be. Any ideas?

Very nice and I like the presentation style with the fascia - very professional.

I will be adding a name soon I just can't decide what colour it should be. Any ideas?

You could do something to tie in with the region the layout is set in - some people have BR totems in the appropriate region's colour. For some of my layouts I create name signs on https://cooltext.com/ . Or perhaps the name could be on a tartan background? :jester: Edited by 009 micro modeller

Very nice and I like the presentation style with the fascia - very professional.

You could do something to tie in with the region the layout is set in - some people have BR totems in the appropriate region's colour. For some of my layouts I create name signs on https://cooltext.com/ . Or perhaps the name could be on a tartan background? :jester:

Thanks for the ideas and that website link, I'll check it out. If only I built a station (though that's next on my list) instead of a distilery.

Luke  - you have got the colours on this just about perfect!

It has a feel of one of those Scottish lines that got truncated back to the distillery when the rest of the line closed (there were a few of them I think). If this was the intention then maybe add a few sleepers, bits of rail and chairs at the very end of the layout?

When you decide on a name then don't forget to ensure that the distillery buildings have a distillery name plaque too - this would have been good advertising for them. Google a few images and you'll see what I mean.

Stu

Some exciting news for the layout. It has been invited to the 2020 EBOR model railway exhibition in York (not the big show at the race course) and has been put on the reserve list for the 2019 EBOR model railway exhibition. I believe that they both happen in February.

Great news Luke will look forward to seeing the layout.

So I've been doing a lot of operating recently as I've not really had much time to do much modelling. A levels have really hit me hard and I'm feeling the effects of a large work load. One thing I have noticed during my brief operating sessions is that the forest at the rear of the layout doesn't appear as dense as I would like it to but due to the depth of the layout I can't add any more trees to it. So I've come up with this solution, I've glued some a coarse scatter version of the tree shade mix to some strips of corrugated card board. post-32204-0-56533700-1538678583_thumb.jpg They aren't 100% green but I quite like it and it makes it appear more natural. Hopefully I'll be able to slot these in behind the current tree line to stop the blue backscene from shining through. Some bushes will probably be needed for blending but that'll be a different small project probably.

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 1

Success! The forest now appears to have much more depth to it. I've just spotted those card board strips down the backscene at the moment as they're holding themselves in place as they are quite close ans tight to the rear line of trees. Thy totally cut out the blue backscene visible but because they are only so high they aren't visible from above. Here is a picture of it.post-32204-0-27920100-1538755399_thumb.jpg A successful experiment I think. It is a method I will use in the future though I will probably do it before I place the trees. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 5

Some exciting news for the layout. It has been invited to the 2020 EBOR model railway exhibition in York (not the big show at the race course) and has been put on the reserve list for the 2019 EBOR model railway exhibition. I believe that they both happen in February.

Good to hear. Hopefully I'll be free that weekend to come and have a look - didn't know about this show before but when I'm at uni it's local for me. Ironically when the Easter one is on I'll probably be at home again!

So following my birthday yesterday I received some model related presents. First up I was given a charming Oxford diecast ice cream van, currently I have no purpose for it but I expect that I will find a place for it somewhere (I've always fancied modelling a seaside/dockside location ;) ) Also, I got some of this super super glue from deluxe materials. I've never used it before so would be interested in hearing your experiences with it. It's obviously an excellent product but am unsure of its best uses. post-32204-0-79987300-1539020382_thumb.jpg My next present was this handy led magnifier lamp. This should make working on all those tiny bits so much easier so I'm quite excited to put this into practice. post-32204-0-57855700-1539020454_thumb.jpg You may notice that the photos of these new items are on the layout and that's because it's the only place with decent lighting and everywhere else is semi packed into boxes as we're meant to be moving house at the end of this week. Hopefully the pain (well more like not being able to do any proper modeling) will pay off as I'm going to get my own railway room (more like a large cupboard but I'll take it!) Thanks for looking. :) Oh I forgot, I also received a small amount of money so I have a pair of Dapol grampus wagons coming to allow me to make up an engineer's train. :)

• Like 2

Look forward to seeing the Grampus wagons Luke, the magnifying lamps are very handy as well. I'm not sure what you know about working with super glue but I never apply it straight to a model, I always squirt a small amount on some scrap card or plasic then use a cocktail stick or pin to pickup the glue and apply it to my model. I also always wipe the nozzle on a bit of cloth/paper towel before putting the lid back on.

Good luck with your move.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Look forward to seeing the Grampus wagons Luke, the magnifying lamps are very handy as well. I'm not sure what you know about working with super glue but I never apply it straight to a model, I always squirt a small amount on some scrap card or plasic then use a cocktail stick or pin to pickup the glue and apply it to my model. I also always wipe the nozzle on a bit of cloth/paper towel before putting the lid back on.

Good luck with your move.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. :) I do normally put glue onto off cuts first but was unsure what materials work best with that particular glue. Thanks:) Edited by luke the train spotter

Hi luke  just been going through your post   really like it  good work   did you do a post on your cronton  collery micro layout that you show in your vid  ? as i tried looking but could not find any think kevin

Well I received 2 Dapol grampus wagons from Hattons today. At £10 they're a steal compared to what some other manufacturers are charging. They do need a bit of work and a weathering but I have fitted them with kadees. Instead of be able to run them, they're off back in their boxes till after we move house. I did pose them on the layout for a quick picture though. post-32204-0-36482700-1539362190_thumb.jpg Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 2