Alternatives to SketchUp

I'd really love to port over from SketchUp to any other free and easy to use software. Can anyone suggest some? At this moment in time I am really looking for a software that's not got a steep learning curve and pretty straightforward to use like SketchUp.

I've been facing a lot of troubles with SketchUp because of the most basic thing, exporting a .stl file without it warping and distorting.

I use AutoCAD Fusion 360 and love it, I have never got on with sketchup

Thanks, I always thought AutoCAD and Fusion360 were two different softwares. Anyway I will give it a go. I'll just wait for a few more suggestions from other members.

I actually got on well with sketchup. I am so familiar with it that it takes me about 10-12 hours to make full locomotives.

Thanks, I always thought AutoCAD and Fusion360 were two different softwares. Anyway I will give it a go. I'll just wait for a few more suggestions from other members.

They are.  AutoCAD is a 2D drawing package that can be wrestled with the right force into doing 3D.  Fusion360 is AutoDesk's main 3D package, which is free if you agree you arent doing any commercial work.  

AutoCAD is great for 2D work, and their student license is good if you know someone with an active student email.

I tried Fusion 360 and couldnt get on with it.  Dont like the interface, the vagueness of extruding/cutting, or the general modelling tools.   

I learned Solidworks, and thats what Im sticking to.  Its actually pretty easy to learn and fairly straight forward once you pass the draw/dimension/extrude steps.  Yes its $4000 US for a license, but we have the internet.  I dont think I need to explain further.  *Wink*

I actually got on well with sketchup. I am so familiar with it that it takes me about 10-12 hours to make full locomotives.

They are, he meant Autodesk, which is the company that produce them. Fusion is OK, powerful but it's not very intuitive. It has advantages in that it is a solid modelling program which means its cad can be used for machining and injection moulding should you ever need to. STLs almost never need additional cleaning up.

The main thing you need to get your head around is that sketches and 3D bodies are separate, not like in sketchup where everything is a 3D object. You need to put new sketches on a plane, not like in sketchup where you can draw anywhere within the model space. You can use existing surfaces, or you can create them with various tools but it requires a lot more effort and thought. 

I've been using Fusion exclusively for at least the last 6 monthsish as it is the way to go, but it is incredibly frustrating at times! I'm currently stuck on trying to redraw a part of a Cambrian locomotive and I cannot fathom how to do it. 

• Like 1

They are. AutoCAD is a 2D drawing package that can be wrestled with the right force into doing 3D. Fusion360 is AutoDesk's main 3D package, which is free if you agree you arent doing any commercial work.

AutoCAD is great for 2D work, and their student license is good if you know someone with an active student email.

I tried Fusion 360 and couldnt get on with it. Dont like the interface, the vagueness of extruding/cutting, or the general modelling tools.

I learned Solidworks, and thats what Im sticking to. Its actually pretty easy to learn and fairly straight forward once you pass the draw/dimension/extrude steps. Yes its $4000 US for a license, but we have the internet. I dont think I need to explain further. *Wink*

Quarryscapes explained the Autodesk/AutoCAD thing. I believe it was a mistake.

I've been looking for the *suitable* version of Solidworks but not very successful in finding that one.

They are, he meant Autodesk, which is the company that produce them. Fusion is OK, powerful but it's not very intuitive. It has advantages in that it is a solid modelling program which means its cad can be used for machining and injection moulding should you ever need to. STLs almost never need additional cleaning up.

The main thing you need to get your head around is that sketches and 3D bodies are separate, not like in sketchup where everything is a 3D object. You need to put new sketches on a plane, not like in sketchup where you can draw anywhere within the model space. You can use existing surfaces, or you can create them with various tools but it requires a lot more effort and thought.

I've been using Fusion exclusively for at least the last 6 monthsish as it is the way to go, but it is incredibly frustrating at times! I'm currently stuck on trying to redraw a part of a Cambrian locomotive and I cannot fathom how to do it.

I'm still open to suggestions for other softwares. So I hope others pass on suggestions

Big thank you to David, been using Fusion360 for the last hour or so and I must say it's almost as easy and in some cases easier to use than SketchUp. I've managed to replicate the bonnet of an NG diesel in Fusion360 without the aid of a tutorial video. That to me is progress. I also get the point raised by Quarryscapes about planes and drawing on them before making them into 3D ibjects.

There is a fusion 360 thread on here. You can see what other people gave been up to.

What I like too is the way you can important photos or drawings in the the background of your design so you can check if profile match. Also the expression tables are good when things are likely to change you easily adjust them, see my thread any wheel any size and you will see what I mean.

Quarryscapes explained the Autodesk/AutoCAD thing. I believe it was a mistake.

I've been looking for the *suitable* version of Solidworks but not very successful in finding that one.

I'm still open to suggestions for other softwares. So I hope others pass on suggestions

There is also Onshape which is free for non-commercial users.

https://cad.onshape.com/signin?__hssc=77027530.2.1461583860829&__hstc=77027530.d593f16cf48c8080f7668beb58550ee8.1426424987288.1461338395655.1461583860829.320&__hsfp=3959808507&hsCtaTracking=92eceee8-4530-42f9-bacb-be17116714b1%7C4dd74e0c-6d6c-4907-8c47-52fe394624dc

For anyone familiar with Solidworks it is a relatively easy transition to using this software. For anyone using 3D modelling software for the first time it is not a particularly shallow learning curve. There is an app for a smart phone version of it, so you can do some useful modelling on occasions when you would otherwise be sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

There is also Onshape which is free for non-commercial users.

https://cad.onshape.com/signin?__hssc=77027530.2.1461583860829&__hstc=77027530.d593f16cf48c8080f7668beb58550ee8.1426424987288.1461338395655.1461583860829.320&__hsfp=3959808507&hsCtaTracking=92eceee8-4530-42f9-bacb-be17116714b1%7C4dd74e0c-6d6c-4907-8c47-52fe394624dc

For anyone familiar with Solidworks it is a relatively easy transition to using this software. For anyone using 3D modelling software for the first time it is not a particularly shallow learning curve. There is an app for a smart phone version of it, so you can do some useful modelling on occasions when you would otherwise be sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning. No harm in trying.

Another vote for Fusion360 here. To a very simple level, I learnt how to use it in a few days, mainly just by watching YouTube videos. Very easy to get your head around. I'm wanting to make my own wheel set, and have created the 3D models with relative ease. The intention is to get these printed up, to use as the wheel hub - material still to be decided upon!. Plans are afoot to buy a cheap bench top lathe to convert to CNC to produce the tyres.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked at the Australian website for Fusion 360 and it offers you a 1 month or 12 month option to buy it. Does that mean you have to keep paying money when the term expires ?

Student copies seem to be free. I didn't pay a penny. Just gave them my email ID and other details. I think Fusion360 is free for personal use and small businesses.

I have looked at the Australian website for Fusion 360 and it offers you a 1 month or 12 month option to buy it. Does that mean you have to keep paying money when the term expires ?

You can get a perpetual free license if you are a hobbyist. When you have opened it there is an orange'subscribe now' button near the top. Just follow the steps in this link. I can't remember if I downloaded mine from the Australian website or the international one, but there is a link in the attached that you can download it from to ensure you get a free license option...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

Edited by monkeysarefun

I sent an email to the company about Fusion 360 and they said that Autodesk no longer sell any software at a one time cost ie. you have to buy it then renew it every year. I will investigate Sketchup first and see how that goes as many people seem happy with it.

I have looked at Blender and I even downloaded it to my computer with the intention of using it but it is just too advanced for me. At this stage I need something a bit more user friendly.

Edited by brian777999

I sent an email to the company about Fusion 360 and they said that Autodesk no longer sell any software at a one time cost ie. you have to buy it then renew it every year. I will investigate Sketchup first and see how that goes as many people seem happy with it.

That is technically correct and I have to renew my Fusion 360 license every year but it is zero cost to do as a hobbyist.

They are.  AutoCAD is a 2D drawing package that can be wrestled with the right force into doing 3D.  Fusion360 is AutoDesk's main 3D package, which is free if you agree you arent doing any commercial work.  

I tried Fusion 360 and couldnt get on with it.  Dont like the interface, the vagueness of extruding/cutting, or the general modelling tools.   

I learned Solidworks, and thats what Im sticking to.  Its actually pretty easy to learn and fairly straight forward once you pass the draw/dimension/extrude steps.  Yes its $4000 US for a license, but we have the internet.  I dont think I need to explain further.  *Wink*

Not true, the full AutoCAD (not LT) is a very powerful 3D tool. I do probably 95% of my 3D work in AutoCAD as I use it for my work every day. Fusion 360 is not Autodesks main 3D package by any means, its the free entry level dip your toe package but a great one which I use regularly. I would say that Inventor is probably their flagship 3D package (and like a much more capable version of Fusion 360) but all of Autodesks programs are aimed at specific markets where different capabilities are required for different fields.

Inventor and Fusion are aimed squarely at engineering whereas for the stuff that I draw day to day it would be near useless, I design buildings where AutoCAD and Revit are much better suited.

As for an alternative to Sketchup (which I really do hate) Fusion 360 is worlds above it and highly recommended.

• Like 2

The thing to remember here with all these software packages is the end purpose for which you want it. Most products from the Autodesk stable are "traditional mesh modelling" platforms and do not offer Solid modelling, or parametric modelling, which plays nice with CNC machines and big lumps of steel. Autodesk Inventor does work, but it's an unwashed child in the face of Solidworks or PTC Creo, and they can be big on outlay for a licence. 

https://shapr3d.com are coming up with some lovely software that's a nice blend of parametric (think stuffy engineering) and traditional (more free flowing and faster), which is in it's infancy, but should be a real game changer long term. 

Rich.