O gauge

Does anyone know where to get R-T-R modern image?

Depends what you mean by modern image - locos, wagons, coaches, BR, Privatisation period?

Heljan and Dapol do suitable wagons, Mark 1 coaches from Heljan, daerstad or Dapol(planned). Locos, Dapol for an 08, Heljan for other BR period locos.

Rails, Hattons and Tower models stock 0 gauge

Hi, does anyone have any bright ideas for cramming O gauge into 12ft by 2?

Don't cram.

Less is more.

Go pre grouping light railway: everything is just that bit smaller. Mixed train of Manning Wardle, four wheel coach and three wagons in less than 30 inches. Slaters wagons are almost in the rtr class, and are available from the executors stand at Guild shows at less than a new kit.

Modern stock is huge and fairly expensive. A visit to Telford in September would be a good starting point.

My interests do not extend much beyond the 1970s so I cannot be more specific. That said, there is an ever growing range of kits and rtr from the last 30 years.

Don't cram.

Less is more.

Go pre grouping light railway: everything is just that bit smaller. Mixed train of Manning Wardle, four wheel coach and three wagons in less than 30 inches. Slaters wagons are almost in the rtr class, and are available from the executors stand at Guild shows at less than a new kit.

Agree with Don't cram, & less is more. Very true for O Scale.

But for a small O Scale layout there's no need to go Pre-Grouping, or use tiny BR rinky-dink little 10ft wheelbase wagons. I built a modern-era American outline layout in O that was 8ft x 2ft plus 4ft fiddleyard.

Big diesels, 50ft freight cars. ;) From low down, it looked quite spacious...

post-704-0-89739900-1529528296_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Agree with Don't cram, & less is more. Very true for O Scale.

But for a small O Scale layout there's no need to go Pre-Grouping, or use tiny BR rinky-dink little 10ft wheelbase wagons. I built a modern-era American outline layout in O that was 8ft x 2ft plus 4ft fiddleyard.

Big diesels, 50ft freight cars. ;) From low down, it looked quite spacious...

attachicon.gifDSCF0389-1.JPG

Perhaps a small present day container terminal might fit the bill. Try Wakefield Europort.

Could work... 3' cassettes on either end with 6' in the middle on a busy 2/3 track mainline with a commuter station and a few sidings- too boring??? Minories? 

In O - what you have here is space for a 2 track commuter line that only has a two car unit service.

A class 20 in O is a foot long - a bigger freight loco would be 18 inches as would be any multiple unit which would immediately eat up all your fiddle yard at either end.

A Heljan CargoWaggon, the only RTR MI wagon to suit, is also 18 inches - so one loco & one wagon.

I would rethink the mainline idea and also perhaps the modern image, with the space available a BR blue shunting layout using 10ft wheelbase wagons will give you a more interesting mode or you need to lengthen the whole railway.

If you want to model the privatised railway in O gauge you have a problem. There is very little RTR - of course scratch building would allow you to choose any stock you want but this might be more than you want to take on. 

Maybe it's your choice of scale that needs a rethink?

Have a look at my layout Dock Green (link below) - the visible section of this is 16ft x 2ft. You can visualise cutting this back to 12ft by chopping off the left hand end and making a few other mods.

Chaz

• Like 1

A freelance perhaps...

Personally I'm quite surprised that this idea of modelling a modern Freelance Company hasn't taken off - in any scale - in the UK, especially as the real railway has been privatised for some time, now. The idea is much more popular with American outline modelling.

• Like 1

I obviously don't know what your skill sets and desires are but it seems to me that if you want to keep to RTR, the availabily of models from Dapol, Minerva and Heljan may drive your choice of era and region. 

For me plastic wagon kits are not too difficult, so I have quite a lot of those from Parkside and Slaters.  Connoisseur etched kits have a good rep, and I have built one that was quite enjoyable. 

I'm staying away from loco kits for now.

John