MK1 Sleeping Carriage (00)

Just chipping in with an on-topic question of my own; did the ER have any of the composite Mk.1 sleepers? Michael Foster's Hornby Dublo book seems to imply that the composites were a WR speciality (or rather than the Western had no single-class Mk.1 sleeping cars), hence the composite Dublo model having a W24xx number.

David

They were pretty universal across the sleeper owning regions however what may have been picked up on was that for the first two years only 4 were constructed (in 1957) all for the Western Region (W2400-W2403)

Ignoring the later conversion to SLE's, the original Lots constructed and allocations were;

post-6691-12719590318.jpg

Which over the whole build of 55 vehicles, gives a regional distribution of;

Eastern Region 18

London Midland Region 18

Scottish Region 6

Western Region 13

• RMweb Premium

Just chipping in with an on-topic question of my own; did the ER have any of the composite Mk.1 sleepers? Michael Foster's Hornby Dublo book seems to imply that the composites were a WR speciality (or rather than the Western had no single-class Mk.1 sleeping cars), hence the composite Dublo model having a W24xx number.

David

the only info i have is from the parkin mk1 book, where he gives a list of regional allocations, as built.(subject to other evidence, they are believed to be correct). correlating this with the lot number list, which gives the completion dates of the various lots, an initial picture can be drawn.

ER received SLCs 2404-17, lot 30492, built 2/60

2433-6 , lot 30591, built 8/60

2445 , lot 30727, built 1/63

as for the WR, the initial allocations show SLF, SLC and SLSTP were present. how long the single class vehicles stayed there, i don't know, presumably the SLFs would be replaced by SLCs, unless there was a particular demand for 1st. class on the WR?

as to the SLE(P), these were initiated by the ER and MR, converted in 1971

EDIT - bob's in before me! sorry!

Looking at Western's other allocations I guess explains the reason for the statement. Apart from the 13 SLCs, they were only allocated 14 other sleeping cars in total - 5 x SLF and 9 SLSTP. All of the remainder going to either the Eastern or the London Midland (The Scottish region requiring only the 3 SLC for purely internal sleepers)

Those recent contributions are excellent, thanks guys biggrin.gif

I conclude that for my purposes (Waverley Route '68, in case anyone forgot the obsession that wakes me at night with a shriek), I'm looking at LM vehicles, which means CW bogies (good job I kept the spares from my Carflat donors rather than flogging them on eBay), and no pantry conversions, because they came too late. This is outstanding, and in the best traditions of austerity and standardisation it keeps B4 bogies off the layout too wink.gif

They were pretty universal across the sleeper owning regions however what may have been picked up on was that for the first two years only 4 were constructed (in 1957) all for the Western Region (W2400-W2403)

Ignoring the later conversion to SLE's, the original Lots constructed and allocations were;

post-6691-12719590318.jpg

Which over the whole build of 55 vehicles, gives a regional distribution of;

Eastern Region 18

London Midland Region 18

Scottish Region 6

Western Region 13

Just the kind of info I was after :) - much appreciated, Bob.

David

• 1 month later...

Going back to the original question the options appear to be:

1) smoothing down the Hornby version and re-profiling the windows

2) Etchmaster sides

3) Comet sides

Ignoring the first option for the time being does anyone know how accurate either the Etchmaster sides or Comet sides are when straight out of the box (regarding window size/shape/position etc)?

2) Etchmaster sides

3) Comet sides

Ignoring the first option for the time being does anyone know how accurate either the Etchmaster sides or Comet sides are when straight out of the box (regarding window size/shape/position etc)?

They require attachment of door hinges, knobs and handles. The general shape is quite good

2) Etchmaster sides

3) Comet sides

I have decided I will go down the Etchmaster route, but it won't be for a while till I get round to it.

Archived