New layout limited space (Signalling Help Required)

chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

It seems to me that your platform length should related to the length of the loop. 

If you extend the platform to accommodate longer trains, how would you run round them.

Provided that the platform and loop lengths are consistent, the platform and the loop can be staggered.

The shorter trains might be able to stop in the loop, of the overlap between the platform and the loop suffices.

If it is possible to squeeze extra length from both the platform and the loop, so much the better.  Generally I think it looks best if your trains do not occupy the whole platform length. To make the most of the extra length, run the occasional through special that does fill the platform.

I admit that my train,platform and loop lengths have been dictated by the capacity of my filddle yard

It's a case of compromising

layoutmod4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The "Funny" is for your avatar. Your post is entirely sensible!

Assuming those are 57-60' coaches, that looks well-balanced to me. 

It's been said before, but if you go down to 4 or 6-wheelers, or even 42-48' short bogie coaches, your trains look longer! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It seems to me that your platform length should related to the length of the loop. 

If you extend the platform to accommodate longer trains, how would you run round them.

Provided that the platform and loop lengths are consistent, the platform and the loop can be staggered.

The shorter trains might be able to stop in the loop, of the overlap between the platform and the loop suffices.

If it is possible to squeeze extra length from both the platform and the loop, so much the better.  Generally I think it looks best if your trains do not occupy the whole platform length. To make the most of the extra length, run the occasional through special that does fill the platform.

Have I got it wrong? or misunderstood? I'm not the sharpest tool in the box :blush:

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It's been said before, but if you go down to 4 or 6-wheelers, or even 42-48' short bogie coaches, your trains look longer! 

Yes, its definitely something for me to consider, although probably best that I don't let myself get distracted again with rolling stock just yet :lol:

19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Have I got it wrong? or misunderstood? I'm not the sharpest tool in the box :blush:

No, it looks fine.

The option I canvassed was shunting the platform to the left hand end of the layout, for visual effect and 'play value'.  This does not involve lengthening either the platform, or the loop, both of which would be of a similar length.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I've had a little play around with things this morning

Shortening the platform and putting a water tank in and a couple of water cranes

I'm going more for feasibility rather than historical accuracy.......if that makes sense 

I'd value others opinions and suggestions

layoutmod3.JPG

Why not save a little space, and put the water tower on top of the engine shed?  Then you can have the two water cranes positioned where you have them.

J

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Julia said:

Why not save a little space, and put the water tower on top of the engine shed?  Then you can have the two water cranes positioned where you have them.

J

A great idea, although I already have a ratio engine shed kit to build

It was a gift from my better half along with the goods shed so it would be rude not to use them.

42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

A great idea, although I already have a ratio engine shed kit to build

It was a gift from my better half along with the goods shed so it would be rude not to use them.

Kit bashing! Sounds like a great opportunity to make something unique. You can still use the ratio kit you have, just use it as the basis for an engine shed with water tower!

J

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Innerhome said:

The layout of your engine shed is actually very close to Wallingford - ie shed then ash pit and coaling stage then water crane. I think the Metcalfe kit is based on this location. So very prototypical. (Plans also in Great Western Branch Line Termini / Paul Karau). Wallingford had a conical water tower.

Good luck with your endeavours.

I wasn't aware that the Metcalfe one was, but Alphagraphix did a model of Wallingford loco shed at one time.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that some of those combinations stand up.

With a pillar tank I think it's unlikely there would have been additional water cranes.

I'm not sure water tower would have been positioned on the platform - but prepared to be corrected on that!

I think a water crane on the platform would more typically be at the departure end - for filling up just before the train leaves.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm not sure that some of those combinations stand up.

With a pillar tank I think it's unlikely there would have been additional water cranes.

I'm not sure water tower would have been positioned on the platform - but prepared to be corrected on that!

I think a water crane on the platform would more typically be at the departure end - for filling up just before the train leaves.

I'm not sure either, you should know by now Phil that I'm easily confused.......and thick as pig sh... :lol:

When you say water tower on the platform are you referring to the pillar tank on diagram 'A' or the water tank left of the platform ramp on diagram 'C'

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No, it looks fine.

The option I canvassed was shunting the platform to the left hand end of the layout, for visual effect and 'play value'.  This does not involve lengthening either the platform, or the loop, both of which would be of a similar length.

I understand now......I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes :blush:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm not sure either, you should know by now Phil that I'm easily confused.......and thick as pig sh... :lol:

When you say water tower on the platform are you referring to the pillar tank on diagram 'A' or the water tank left of the platform ramp on diagram 'C'

Sorry, I meant A: I'm not sure a pillar tank would be (commonly) positioned on the platform. I've added the word commonly to cover myself!

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Sorry, I meant A: I'm not sure a pillar tank would be (commonly) positioned on the platform. I've added the word commonly to cover myself!

It's okay, I get easily confused with different terminology

I nearly refered to it as a Water Column, but it looked daft putting a WC on the end of the platform   

So do you think option 'B' would be my best bet?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It's okay, I get easily confused with different terminology

I nearly refered to it as a Water Column, but it looked daft putting a WC on the end of the platform   

So do you think option 'B' would be my best bet?

Yes, I think so but it looks a bit cramped.

What about pushing the engine shed further left so that the shed siding could be longer and give a bit more room to accommodate all this stuff?

Do you mean in relation to the water tank? Cranes could be anywhere at all, literally. Water pressure from the higher tank level, or gravity in hilly regions, would supply them.

If you mean where should they be sited operationally then the answer would be wherever it was convenient. At some branch terminii this would be on the shed road, especially if it was a long branch and the loco needed coal and the fire raking out as well. Water would be taken on while other duties were happening. Otherwise the departure end of the platform was a common location, allowing the loco crew to water and have a check and oil round as the passengers were boarding.

I would say that at the arrival end of the platform was not a very common location.

Don't be afraid of placing water cranes a long way away from water tanks. However the GWR had their conical or cylindrical tanks which are always a nice feature to model.

• RMweb Gold

A bit of both to be honest Martin

so potentially I could go for option ‘C’ but as Phil has also mentioned move the water crane to the other end of the platform.....perhaps keep the one near the coaling stage?

However, you’re right though I do like the conical towers, they are very GWR so Id more than likely go for option ‘B’ for that very reason

Would it be unlikely to have a water tank and a water tower?

Feel free to scrible all over my drawings 

Edited by chuffinghell

With such a modest branch line terminus I feel that only one water crane would be provided. Its up to you if its on the loco shed road (implying a long branch where coaling needs to happen between trips as well) or at the departure end of the platform. If at the departure end you could have a nice GW conical tank on its one leg.

Of course Rule #1 has priority and if you are running more than one engine in steam, which seems likely, then a crane at the coaling stage and another at the platform departure end with a water tower placed as per drawing C (or next to, or on top of the loco shed) would be my choice.

You could grab one of the books about GW branch lines and just browse through the likely practices of said company. I am afraid I live in a mostly fantasy railway world and do what I like on my models!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

With such a modest branch line terminus I feel that only one water crane would be provided. Its up to you if its on the loco shed road (implying a long branch where coaling needs to happen between trips as well) or at the departure end of the platform. If at the departure end you could have a nice GW conical tank on its one leg.

Of course Rule #1 has priority and if you are running more than one engine in steam, which seems likely, then a crane at the coaling stage and another at the platform departure end with a water tower placed as per drawing C (or next to, or on top of the loco shed) would be my choice.

You could grab one of the books about GW branch lines and just browse through the likely practices of said company. I am afraid I live in a mostly fantasy railway world and do what I like on my models!

I’d not considered putting a conical tank at t’other end

I don’t want to over do it as sometimes less is more

I would like to thank everyone involved in taking time to help me out with my plans, platinum medals all round :)

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

so potentially I could go for option ‘C’ but as Phil has also mentioned move the water crane to the other end of the platform.....perhaps keep the one near the coaling stage?

Yes, that sounds really good, the more I think about it. Lots of small BLTs had tall rectangular water towers rather than the pillar jobs and they are equally redolent of the GWR, IMHO.

You could move your big tower further to the left, closer to the river (?) which would be its water source if not gravity fed from above. Then you could add a little pumphouse shed. It would be great visual stop at the end of your station. And the shed road with a simple water crane would be a little less congested (even if only visually).

Would it be unlikely to have a water tank and a water tower?

I think so.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2