Double track lines singled after Beeching?

dr tim

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the question about stuff that happened after Beeching?

How about the East Suffolk line, when was that singled?

That counts , mid 80s about the same time as Cambridge to Newmarket

The route between West Wales was singled between east of Gowerton and Llandeilo Jct in the 1980s; a more-than-usually pointless exercise, as new points had to be installed, and signalling modified, whilst it played havoc with the timetable if there was any sort of service disruption. Ostensibly, it was because of the state of the Loughor viaduct.

Parts of the GSW: Kilmarnock - Dumfries - Carlisle?

Only the Gretna Jc/Annan section, since redoubled, plus north of Kilmarnock the section to Barrhead, since partially redoubled. Also in Scotland, the Wemyss Bay branch and Dalrymple Jc (south of Ayr) to Girvan. There is also the unusual arrangement from north of Saltcoats to Largs, which is a single electrified line but with a non-electrified up freight line from Hunterston.

Also in Scotland, the Wemyss Bay branch ...

Just for completeness - a significant part of that line (Upper Greenock to Dunrod) always was single track.

Hi Tim

Oxford - Worcester was singled from Norton Junction to Ascott - the dastardly plans of The Stationmaster (On this forum) for two single lines from Norton in to Worcester never came to pass thank goodness!

Theres also the Ledbury to Shelwick Junction section of the Worcester to Hereford route....

Cheers

Phil

Not quite, Phil - it was singled from Norton Junction to Moreton-in-Marsh and from Ascott-under-Wychwood to Wolvercot Junction, the section from Moreton to Ascott remained as double track.  While much was redoubled in 2011, it is still single from Norton Junction to near Pershore and from just east of Charlbury to Wolvercot Junction.

Isn't the question about stuff that happened after Beeching?

How about the East Suffolk line, when was that singled?

The East Suffolk line was done in the 80's but there were rumbles long before that. There is mention of rationalisation in Gerard Fiennes book 'I tried to run a railway' to counter Beeching's proposal of total annihilation of the line.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium

The route between West Wales was singled between east of Gowerton and Llandeilo Jct in the 1980s; a more-than-usually pointless exercise, as new points had to be installed, and signalling modified, whilst it played havoc with the timetable if there was any sort of service disruption. Ostensibly, it was because of the state of the Loughor viaduct.

And between Clarbeston Road and Fishguard

With all these examples, I wonder how much was actually saved over the years versus the inconvenience caused by the missing main?  Also with the cost of reinstallation in some cases, was it all worth it?

Brian.

OK, thanks everyone - many more examples to look at and think about. To clarify my (as it turned out) not so clear original question, I'm interested in lines singled "as a result of Beeching" rather than later (say 1980s) schemes and also not interested in schemes based around relatively short singlings over viaducts due to specific maintenance issues.

Tim

When was the section of the North Devon line between Cowley Bridge Junction and Crediton singled?

(this may have been done later following flood damage).

That was late 1980s I remember a trip in either late '89 or early '90 where the disconnected track was still down.

• RMweb Gold

OK, thanks everyone - many more examples to look at and think about. To clarify my (as it turned out) not so clear original question, I'm interested in lines singled "as a result of Beeching" rather than later (say 1980s) schemes and also not interested in schemes based around relatively short singlings over viaducts due to specific maintenance issues.

Tim

You clearly say AFTER beeching not as ordered by him!

Anyway I'll start you off the Cromer branch North of Wroxham

Much of the line between Sleaford and Skegness was singled in the 80s. 

The sections between Sleaford and Heckington, Hubberts Bridge and Boston and then Boston to Sibsey were singled on the Skegness line. The resulting mix of single and double track, particularly the restrictive passing loop at Boston is a nightmare for timetable planning.

• RMweb Gold

There's also Bicester-Bletchley, singled sometime mid-1980's. I know it wasn't "as a result of Beeching", but it hasn't been mentioned so far, and, with a bit of Rule 1 applied, would allow for a fair variety of workings. At one point during the WCML electrification there was a sleeper booked Marylebone-BY!

How about the woodhead east of the pennines? Single line worked as a long siding from woodbourn junction to stocksbridge for the steelworks, and single line from barnsley to hudderfield with passing loops.

(and I know this was due to the changing distribution of coal for power generation).

• RMweb Gold

We don't have a double line Yarmouth but here is Breydon Junction complete with intermediate block on the Acle single line..https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/41324984794/

Love that Diagram Richard, did the IB last until the box closed, you can still see the base of the IB and its distant.

When did Berney Arms box close