Just chuck it in the bin

'CHARD

There's an eBay topic for these sort of things, but it does look to be in excellent condition, whether it's a good model is something else...

LOL - I suggest you look again (unless my irony filter isn't working) - there's more missing than remains of the poor artefact  :angel:

• RMweb Premium

I think someone wanted to model a 'Parrot'

It's actually quite a good model of the BR Diagram 2/293 TIERWAG - predecessor to the Newton Chambers ANGLO-SCOTTISH CAR CARRIER; the latter was actually just an enclosed TIERWAG.

post-2274-0-28753200-1530805627_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-88542000-1530805633.jpg

post-2274-0-04042300-1530805640.jpg

The Ebay specimen is missing the central two deck section that raised and lowered to give access the depressed lower deck.

I have not checked the Tri-ang moulding against a drawing, but it may well be that the Ebay example could be useful for correcting the inevitable compromises in the model.

Very little can be said to have no use whatsoever in railway modelling - hence our carefully hoarded 'bits' boxes!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Looking at John's photos, I'm struck by the bogies, which seem to be a longer wheelbase than those on their covered cousins. Does anyone know if there was a difference?

The concept of the lifting centre section was to be revived in the 1990s in the Finnish-built 'KSA' covered flats:- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KSA-Cube-wagons/

• RMweb Premium

Looking at John's photos, I'm struck by the bogies, which seem to be a longer wheelbase than those on their covered cousins. Does anyone know if there was a difference?

The bogies on the TIERWAG are the BR version of the GWR plate-frame wagon bogie, with a WB quoted on the BR diagram as 6'-7'' at 44'-0'' centres; (on a ferry wagon, I'll bet that the bogie WB was actually 2.0 metres).

There were six BR TIERWAGS, nos. B909200 - B909205; though I believe there were some PO ones, too.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

The bogies on the TIERWAG are the BR version of the GWR plate-frame wagon bogie, with a WB quoted on the BR diagram as 6'-7'' at 44'-0'' centres; (on a ferry wagon, I'll bet that the bogie WB was actually 2.0 metres).

There were six BR TIERWAGS, nos. B909200 - B909205; though I believe there were some PO ones, too.

Regards,

John isherwood.

Herewith BR diagram.

post-2274-0-23031000-1530807681_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I found myself slipping down the slope and hanging on to everything, so, during my cartrain project 'gathering-in' phase, I managed to recycle the worst examples of R342s - literally in the plastics' wheelie bin.  Probably not double figures, well not yet, and they weren't as bad as this one!

Oi! I had two of those little beauties (not spoiled with "LMS" lettering) in my first electric train set (see "How It All Began...") topic in MM&M, so I have a certain affinity and hate to see them traduced. 

This is described as 'Excellent condition.' 

I've got a better idea, chuck the wretched mess straight into the bin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hornby-Triang-R342-Car-Transporter/202356987925?hash=item2f1d6a9815:g:BKoAAOSw3EVbJoZj

The seller appears to have done just that  - "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken". 

I must have one stashed away somewhere....

Edited by Il Grifone

The seller appears to have done just that - "

This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken

".

I must have one stashed away somewhere....

Got a better one out of a skip at the local dump once, complete with a couple of minix cars on its bottom deck :-)

How long did real ones last in service?

Not as long as that model. :no:  :jester:

Agreed; the 'goods' version of these vehicles didn't seem to last anything as long as their enclosed 'passenger' counterparts. Photos seem to be very scarce; I couldn't find any on Paul Bartlett's site. I believe there was a loading accident involving the central lifting section, after which the wagons were used as single-deck carriers.

Got a better one out of a skip at the local dump once, complete with a couple of minix cars on its bottom deck :-)

IIRC mine has 6 Triumph 2000s in various garish colours. Unfortunately they are the later downgraded Minix vehicles.

These were available from zodiac toys for 99p in the sell off of Hornby Canadian transcontinental stock they did in the early 1980s, fitted with a CP rail sign,type as used on the malt grain hoppers, they sold quickly!!