• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looks good, Chris. That bendy MDF is good stuff. I'm making my back boards out of it as there are no corners to disguise.

Thank you, unfortunately I’ve not done it as good a job as I would have liked

hopefully I’ll be able to disguise any imperfections

• Friendly/supportive 3

33 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, unfortunately I’ve not done it as good a job as I would have liked

hopefully I’ll be able to disguise any imperfections

1. We are all our own worst critics.

2. Of course you will, you're already addressing the imperfections of mass produced items that are backed up by thousands of pounds worth of design and development.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Chris, I know you had some trepidation and anticipation about tackling this area of the layout but you needn’t have worried as just look at your handiwork.

That’s a great solid start on which to build upon. Now you can start to look forward to the scenery stuff - Superb work.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Not the neatest job in the world but I’ve never been very good with a jigsaw

Originally I planned on having it laser cut for accuracy but the cost of ten times the price of a 4’x2’ sheet of MDF put me off

A04881F6-8C1F-4CEF-9835-9BFCA2F275AF.jpeg.eafd8f583c470bd3482939a24a022408.jpeg

I will be covering the very badly cut holes with a panel cut out of thin MDF or maybe even card just to block out the light

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

That’s it for now as I need to get some smaller diameter screws, the ones I have are too big in diameter and will no doubt split the MDF

680E573B-523E-4BB5-A519-AB2D9FE47935.jpeg.b5c77e53ae08087c0d6a4c96a860f317.jpeg

unfortunately the throat of my clamps is too shallow so I’ll be relying on screws while the glue cures (not ideal)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Remember that in an emergency situation, it's not a 'bodge', it's a 'field repair'.

The cutouts we’re pre-planned.....

49A51559-7194-4FDD-8658-576A7CDBFBFB.jpeg.772a5a18a82acfe73d19c70e468509ae.jpeg

.....just poorly executed

you can’t see them and they will be covered anyway but it will still bug me for a while

I remembered I have some F clamps in the shed (somewhere) that have a bigger throat depth so I ‘can’ clamp the bendy MDF as I go....if I can find my clamps

I’ve had to make additional curf cuts in the back of the MDF to allow it to go around the sharp curve but it’s going to work

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Looks very good and you should not be knocking yourself. Remember nature doesn't make straight lines, man does and even then nature likes to interfere. May I make a suggestion about securing the bendy MDF whilst the glue sets. I will not be offended in the least if you choose to ignore it. If you installed some pieces of timber either side of the bottom of the MDF it would then slot between them and hold it firm whilst the glue sets. The ones on the outside could be removed but the inside ones would be hidden from view.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Looks very good and you should not be knocking yourself. Remember nature doesn't make straight lines, man does and even then nature likes to interfere. May I make a suggestion about securing the bendy MDF whilst the glue sets. I will not be offended in the least if you choose to ignore it. If you installed some pieces of timber either side of the bottom of the MDF it would then slot between them and hold it firm whilst the glue sets. The ones on the outside could be removed but the inside ones would be hidden from view.

Thank you, I’ve already steamed ahead this morning before checking in on here

I’ve used small self tapping screws that have not split the MDF, straight shank screws with a finer pitch thread appear to work quite well.

935458B9-EDB3-4FD2-A6B8-2802770794E5.jpeg.e440992dc631b7c47aaef09ffb4ce83a.jpeg

It’s pulled nice and tight and widening the curf cuts have allowed it to bend around the tight corner

3C9BE362-1264-4644-9CEE-390C26005797.jpeg.77d85f139d23437a83c01a0c4cd0e6b7.jpeg

It shouldn’t take much to fill the screw holes

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Well surprisingly that appears to have worked quite nicely

4E283416-E645-4632-8D0F-38EDEF6197C5.jpeg.ef12846735cb619343908d3f4293bfff.jpeg

Still quite a bit of tinkering required yet but that’s the basic idea, scenery will to the hight of the bridge leaving the rest as a plain grey backscence

The road over the bridge will sweep around whilst declining down to the goods yard level.....hopefully

Unfortunately I have a living room wall to paint this afternoon so Warren will have to wait

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Unfortunately I have a living room wall to paint this afternoon so Warren will have to wait

8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

a plain grey backscence

Kill two birds with one stone...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Bridge and road complete.....

A10FFD1E-649E-4AE5-B6F9-B3254843599E.jpeg.b9ebda602f15178f489e227a5c23a387.jpeg

.....okay so there’s a long way to go yet, just playing with card at the moment to get a feel for it in 3D as there’s only so much you can do with a 2D drawing.

The road is supposed to be more of a country lane than a major road hence only  being a narrow 16ft wide.....I may decide to change this

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The back-scene (if you can call it that?) is in primer at the moment but I’ll just be painting it the same light grey as the adjacent wall.

I was thinking of having a fence, hedge or dry stone wall against the back-scene on the edge of the road but I’m open to suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

More messing about.....

B404D12D-B54F-4443-93FC-C534E86EE0CC.jpeg.3823552a898c84bc0f74e2bc9eae81b8.jpeg

9871D3CE-E962-4AF8-BA90-752B86D30513.jpeg.b09c54ce53e58647c6598a9bc470fe9b.jpeg

....risers spaced approximately 44mm apart each one increases by 4mm....

....I’m trying to convince myself it will look better with a road surface and a grassed embankment but I’m struggling to imagine it at the moment 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It's looking good from here. For some reason (apparently to do with the way that we see things at a distance or small scale) if you model a road at say 22' wide (88mm) it looks like  a stretch of autobahn. Make it more like a country road as you have at 16' (64mm) and once detailed, it looks right. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

It will look OK with road and embankment my thoughts are a dry stone wall each side of road at least on the back scene side. 

I would really like to try @Alister_G’s method of stone walling because quite frankly it’s amazing but I estimate it would require approximately 1000 individual stones

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For me it's either a drystone wall or a hedge - one of each? Getting fence posts to stand upright on a curved sloping road will be a nightmare. I've plenty of foliage clump material if you want some :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1