• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, I’m too antisocial for social media

And there I was, thinking I was only one. Now there's two of us Chris.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

And yes, RMWeb is social media too!)

Right! That does it, I'm off. :)

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I too don't use the social media I mentioned I just know they exist and are a good place to "troll" if you are that way inclined. I do have a face book account but I never use it these days after an incident with my ungrateful step daughter! Who, as a result, has been struck out of my will.......! Seems there are consequences for upsetting your step dad after all.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

43 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

You Luddites! :smile_mini2:

Here's a good reason for being on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1128119553992857/

Adrian Vaughan and various other high profile Westerners hang out there, posting photos and memories of working on the railway.

(And yes, RMWeb is social media too!)

and this group; https://www.facebook.com/groups/921387308231483

• RMweb Gold

Anyway the weighbridge platform cobblestones have been painted so I’ve got to let that dry, then varnish it, let that dry and then attempt to weather it

E5BDE267-BD94-408E-9D80-709188C251F0.jpeg.daeab6d7049daa5b2bc249194e2a02b4.jpeg

Not sure what to do regarding the weathering to be honest. I though maybe try ‘sand’ weathering powder? and perhaps add a black wash around the perimeter of the weighing part?

• Like 8

On similar types of material (loco steps etc) I have drybrushed with Humbrol 53 Gunmetal, then buffed it once fully dry with a cotton bud to represent the worn parts. A wash of very diluted track colour over the rest and wipe off the top of the raised metalwork. Add matt black to the dilute mix and run around the joint between the plate and the frame.

• Informative/Useful 2

Seeing @Stubby47 's post has reminded me that weighbridges had a guard rail against passing traffic.

I have made one from a bit of old rail before, filed down to look like bullhead. Most seem to have been bent so that the rail sits the "right way up", though the one in the colour photo is bent to lay sideways

These two photos should show the how and why.

gwrss543.jpg.1a498bcb59bba35ae1ee1790aa261474.jpg

gwr-12.jpg.1c65844a4638b023838643669681504b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Not sure what to do regarding the weathering to be honest. I though maybe try ‘sand’ weathering powder? and perhaps add a black wash around the perimeter of the weighing part?

Go back to your reference photograph and see what colours there are in that, then copy them.

Use the colour of pigment that matches your terrain for the recessed areas and a very dark brown for the raised elements of the ironwork. Once that is completely dry use some metallic pigment to dust the raised surfaces.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I don’t use Farcebook because I have no friends and because I don’t want Suckerburg to pinch my personal data :lol:

There are some that class the Zuckosphere and Twitter as anti-social media.

Getting vaguely back on topic, that is a rather splendid looking weighbridge deck.

Adrian

Edited by figworthy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris.

I would dry brush it with a 1to1 mix of metalcoat polished steel and 53 gunmetal. The polished steel is a good colour but suffers from bad adhesion unless you mix it with something else but it buffs up so much better than just gunmetal on it's own. You could add metalcoat gun metal but it is very dark and if you go down that route then I would go with 1 part MC polished steel with 1 part MC gunmetal and 1 part MC polished aluminium. Once dry you buff it with a cotton bud and it will look fab. Do this where the tyres cross the plate and dry brush a hint of rust where they don't. You can also use a weak rust wash and let it pool in the corners of the recesses. 

Regards Lez.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

Try some pencil graphite, I normally just sharpen a pencil on some sandpaper and use that.

Rub in with a finger and then buff up and you'll be surprised at what a sheen it gives.

One other tip if I may, wash your finger before touching anything else otherwise it transfers very easily onto all the wrong things.........talking from experience here!!!!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

While other bits are in various stages of assembly and paint I’ve made a start on the roof

4B5826ED-F846-4A9E-A8CA-D52B3D1E743A.jpeg.f1c0552a1fbb3a8854f1f7a9ad5d8ed0.jpeg

I was going to paint the skylight in white but decided on light stone, I might repaint it white though....I’m unsure

It needs a bit of sanding here and there where I’ve not properly sanded the filler especially at the ends and where the joints are 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I was going to paint the skylight in white but decided on light stone, I might repaint it white....I’m unsure

Would that be pigeon dropping white?

• Funny 4

Difficult to define the true colour of guano. I think that birds deliberately vary it depending on who has just washed their car.

If you have a black car, the poop is white, a red car the poop is green, a white car the poop is purple...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5