• RMweb Gold

I fully appreciate what @lezz01 says about the windows although being left clear allows you to see the roof trusses etc

55A241BA-949D-4B95-88E3-B8D95E2AF126.jpeg.30458ec843a5f1e32d964c41bf2bf915.jpeg

I’m not going to glue the roof in place (I’m going to use magnets) so it will be removable but I’m still not sure about dirtying up the glazing especially after putting so much effort into making the roof trusses

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

Whilst the glass would be dirty in reality, I do think that you can apply Rule#1 here and have clear "glass".

If the glass is in one piece behind the framing, you could perhaps weather a second piece of acetate the same size and fit it beneath your clean glass with a bit of poster tack or something, just to see what it looks like. 

But if it was mine, I think that I wouldn't worry about it and show off the interior.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Whilst the glass would be dirty in reality, I do think that you can apply Rule#1 here and have clear "glass".

But if it was mine, I think that I wouldn't worry about it and show off the interior.

Exactement. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a little dirt around the edges of each pane leaving the majority of the glass clear enough to see through?  Done with powders or acrylic wash so it can easily be removed if you feel it has gone too far.

Not particularly realistic since roof windows seem to get dirty all over at the same time but it might do the trick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been thinking (dangerous) about an office for the goods shed and came across a building that came free with a magazine (of which I no longer subscribe to in favour of another called BRM I think it’s called)

Anyway after a little tinkering I came up with this

A9C78DC1-A5A5-421A-AD89-09A954C0C95A.jpeg.947423801c5ccbe92453dbef320df7e7.jpeg

22944CF7-0700-4617-9532-0348B5C49CD9.jpeg.fb6d76bd325000d1c45cf67c21effaf0.jpeg

Although I like the idea I’m not too keen on it being brick instead of stone

I suppose an office could potentially have been a later add-on but I would imagine they would at least use similar materials

I’m going to have a rummage in my box of odds and ends to see if I’ve got anything more suitable, I might have some bits left over from my station building

But this is the general idea at least

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It all looks a bit cut and shut to me I'm afraid Chris. Try it in stone or wood and don't bother with that return wall. Why would someone build it like that when, if they move it back 3 feet so that the walls both line up, they get a free wall. If you raise it up to the level of the platform you can just cut a door on to the goods platform instead of having to cut a stare in the platform as well as a door. Then you can have the steps up outside the office instead of inside the warehouse taking floor space.   

Regards Lez.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I imagine they would use whatever was to hand at the time.  I don't think using brick would look wrong at all, in fact I think it would make the whole building look more interesting than if it was just stone (just my opinion, others are available).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

It all looks a bit cut and shut to me I'm afraid Chris. Try it in stone or wood and don't bother with that return wall. Why would someone build it like that when, if they move it back 3 feet so that the walls both line up, they get a free wall. If you raise it up to the level of the platform you can just cut a door on to the goods platform instead of having to cut a stare in the platform as well as a door. Then you can have the steps up outside the office instead of inside the warehouse taking floor space.   

Regards Lez.

I take it a completely separate building would be out of the question?

Or I could  just leave it as it is and stop trying to be clever :lol:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Lez on the free wall idea, they just wouldn't have built it the way you have it. (Queue lots of photos proving me wrong.) A different material is perfectly okay, @Alister_G will show you a photo of Bakewell goods shed which had a zinc-plated tin office tagged on to a stone build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

@Alister_G will show you a photo of Bakewell goods shed which had a zinc-plated tin office tagged on to a stone build.

By your command...

bakewell(sr1.1966)old64.jpg.6a71980b5f5a8114c5df21a13cd1fabe.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection, used with permission.

bakewell(sr7.1968)73.jpg.0a9931431f2b654a230cfff43fc63d7d.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection, used with permission

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
added image
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I'm with Lez on the free wall idea, they just wouldn't have built it the way you have it. (Queue lots of photos proving me wrong.) A different material is perfectly okay, @Alister_G will show you a photo of Bakewell goods shed which had a zinc-plated tin office tagged on to a stone build.

I’ve decided against an office attached to the building.

There is no advantage to having the building attached because you couldn’t access the building on the end because the main sliding door would block the entrance from the office 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A lot of them just had a sort of wooden screen in one corner of the building with a checkers desk behind it. No office building as such

The Ratio N gauge goods shed has an office inside on the interior platform so perhaps I could do something similar maybe?

D2201EA1-434B-4100-8CE2-55CA71B119CD.jpeg.77ace4f9c3b3e576d8cf1a504540cbd2.jpeg

6254C0AD-2961-4008-A616-CA945E00EC81.jpeg.ea9bd4f1443e30fe1e9838eb8f8af160.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

58 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The Ratio N gauge goods shed has an office inside on the interior platform so perhaps I could do something similar maybe?

D2201EA1-434B-4100-8CE2-55CA71B119CD.jpeg.77ace4f9c3b3e576d8cf1a504540cbd2.jpeg

6254C0AD-2961-4008-A616-CA945E00EC81.jpeg.ea9bd4f1443e30fe1e9838eb8f8af160.jpeg

That's exactly what I meant. My knowledge of N gauge is practically zero.

14 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Wouldn't the presence of an office be determined by the volume of traffic involved? I'm asking from a position of ignorance.

No you're absolutely right. I would imagine that the "office" in some of those corrugated iron lock ups consisted of a nail on which to hang a clipboard.

• RMweb Gold

Given the yard will ( I'm guessing) have a weighbridge office,  and looking at the small window in the goods shed shown above would hint at an internal office, I doubt there would be a need for a third office in the yard.

Maybe a coal merchant's shed though. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Given the yard will ( I'm guessing) have a weighbridge office,  and looking at the small window in the goods shed shown above would hint at an internal office, I doubt there would be a need for a third office in the yard.

Maybe a coal merchant's shed though. 

I’d not really planned for an office either internally or externally, although the exterior is similar to ratio’s N gauge Kit the interior is different so I might not have room for an office inside

However I do plan on a weighbridge hut of some description but this will be separate to the goods shed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s half the size of OO :P

All you need to know really. Whilst I appreciate the scale length trains argument, it's not really relevant to fans of bucolic branch lines. Plus I struggle to cram enough detail into 00 and I have neither the space nor the money for 0.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

it's not really relevant to fans of bucolic branch lines. 

Keep it short. Keep it sweet. Seemples. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4