3 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Do you have a copy of "The Art of Weathering" by Martyn Welch Chris?

If not I highly recommend it.

There's one here but there are buy it now options as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304496101371?epid=86360146&hash=item46e561c7fb:g:-ncAAOSwCg9iZstS

Regards Lez.

I bought a copy quite some years ago and have only recently been able to put Martin's advice into practice. 

Although it focuses mostly on 7mm scale models, the techniques used can easily be scaled down. 

If you don't have a copy, it's worth hunting down.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A great "how I did it" Chris and no doubt the orders are about to fly from those who have GWT BLTs. Just to be pedantic for a mo, the part you called a screw brake is the reverser screw which operates the valve gear.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just to be pedantic for a mo, the part you called a screw brake is the reverser screw which operates the valve gear.

oops!!

You’re quite right it was just a stupid mistake

Believe it or not I know it’s the reverse screw I have no idea why I typed ‘brake’

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

DDD0FE94-E2F9-4DAF-AAB0-F6402040546F.jpeg.2968b892c87c27fe5ff5336a7b37dcda.jpeg

Once I’m brave enough to weather it might be less obvious, all my locos were weathered by TMC or Grimy Times but as this loco is quite delicate and I one off I don’t want to risk sending it off for weathering so I have little choice but to attempt it myself…..scary!!!

You are already a confident airbrush user Chris, so loco weathering is a most natural progression. I learned from RMWeb's sadly departed Mick Bonwick via a couple of courses at Pendon and enjoy the benefits which the airbrush brings and am constantly learning. You will have some suitable practice pieces, including that ebay Star Class shell, so have a go.

If it helps, I've documented my lessons learned at Pendon over on my Newton Regis layout thread, page 1,where my first two loco victims can be seen in the shape of a 57 and 45xx.

321402501_1905091814_090927_320000001.jpg.4764ce2c7cd12adb3f97a4554cbbb293.jpg

Do have a go and discover a subtle minimalist way of using the airbrush, which I find rewarding and satisfying.

😃

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

This is wonderful stuff Chris, but it leaves me with a small problem.

How quickly can I clear the spare room, assemble both the layout and Desk of Doing / Bench of Bodge so that I can get on with the metal chassis'ed Hornby powered version in the hope of making something equally impressive? 

Painting is going to be my biggest concern I think!

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, longchap said:

You are already a confident airbrush user Chris, so loco weathering is a most natural progression. I learned from RMWeb's sadly departed Mick Bonwick via a couple of courses at Pendon and enjoy the benefits which the airbrush brings and am constantly learning. You will have some suitable practice pieces, including that ebay Star Class shell, so have a go.

If it helps, I've documented my lessons learned at Pendon over on my Newton Regis layout thread, page 1,where my first two loco victims can be seen in the shape of a 57 and 45xx.

321402501_1905091814_090927_320000001.jpg.4764ce2c7cd12adb3f97a4554cbbb293.jpg

Do have a go and discover a subtle minimalist way of using the airbrush, which I find rewarding and satisfying.

😃

The passing of Mick was very, very sad indeed, Mick would have been the first person I would have gone too 😔 

I’ll head over to Newton Regis now

I use an airbrush as a glorified spray can so I think that lacks the subtle minimalist refinement to which you refer too 😆

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The passing of Mick was very, very sad indeed, Mick would have been the first person I would have gone too 😔 

I’ll head over to Newton Regis now, is there any particular page you recommended me starting with?

I use an airbrush as a glorified spray can so I think that lacks the subtle minimalist refinement to which you refer too 😆

Just to offer an alternative, Chris, Rob Gunstone, Andy Peters and I all use weathering powders for weathering (now there's a novel idea) and I know neither Rob or I own an airbrush. I'm not in the same class as Rob or Andy, but the results they achieve speak for themselves.

You might want to try those instead on some test pieces.

Al.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Just to offer an alternative, Chris, Rob Gunstone, Andy Peters and I all use weathering powders for weathering (now there's a novel idea) and I know neither Rob or I own an airbrush. I'm not in the same class as Rob or Andy, but the results they achieve speak for themselves.

You might want to try those instead on some test pieces.

Al.

You are quite right Al and I use powders on road vehicles and buildings, as well to enhance rolling stock. It was Mick who gave me my first weathering powders and showed me how to use them (very sparingly). They're brilliant.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 3

Still one of my favourite ways to weather. These gates were aged with drybrushing. They're actually Peco plastic mouldings that have been available for four decades or so.

IMG_20220208_003540.jpg.db2c552f1fdbbc1d5569574dcaa5f962.jpg

IMG_20220208_003526.jpg.b28e8f2ade7b6f4c35bcc0b8d5629ad3.jpg

IMG_20220208_003508.jpg.543583d17e33f8ed479cd643623f1f9a.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Nice to see you back and posting @chuffinghell. Excellent work on the secret project; I’m in awe of your skills and patience - computer aided scratch building certainly takes modelling to the next level!

Thank you, although I was hoping now I’ve finished it I could go back into hibernation for another three months 😂

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I won the day yesterday with the most liked content so I’d like to thank you all for your positive comments/feedback and ‘likes’ etc

It is very much appreciated, thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Silly question, how do you know if you've won the day... Do you have to be a RM Gold member?

I just clicked on my ugly mug (top right) and it brought up my profile

46892C75-E603-45E1-A8FF-8A9A6146D676.jpeg.6492bd460b3781599275e5ee3c71b107.jpeg

• Like 3

I've never looked at that before. Apparently I have won fifteen days. 

I'm thinking that's probably over five decades.....🙄

Apparently, the last time on February 7th. Admittedly, I haven't really done much modelling since then.

I'd better get busy!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1