• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

There are oil cans left on benches, spades propped against walls, signs of recent activity but...

No people!

Was everyone vapourised in the night by Ming the Merciless?

P.S. The electricity box looks way too modern to me.

I thought it was quite realistic just like roadworks in the real world :lol:

I did have doubts about the electric/gas box but it would make too much of a mess to remove now as superglue isn’t that forgiving

Perhaps the aliens who vaporised the people have traveled back through time, fitted the box to cause confusion and panic :blink:

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

The higher-end ready-made trees really do look nice, and are good if you want one or two to stand alone.   The bulk pack ones aren't bad for filling out a forest.   I lucked out, though.  I was given three blisters of about 30 trees each by my uncle.   Still, I wouldn't write off the ready-to-plant trees.

You're quite right, I’m possibly being too fussy

7F53867C-FC2A-4A90-A41F-4E6AE7C08D43.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I knew you would! ;)

I'm sure you can disguise any lumps/damage with something suitably characterful.

:)

Am I that predictable :lol:

Anyway I’ve no idea what you meant earlier, what electrical/gas box? :P

32B6AAC2-44A6-4C72-9652-18E83545BAF8.jpeg.c645f789e51e3182767c8258e0c1b919.jpeg

Managed to flat off the mess left behind by the superglue and touch it up with various shades of grey

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Am I that predictable :lol:

Anyway I’ve no idea what you meant earlier, what electrical/gas box? :P

32B6AAC2-44A6-4C72-9652-18E83545BAF8.jpeg.c645f789e51e3182767c8258e0c1b919.jpeg

Managed to flat off the mess left behind by the superglue and touch it up with various shades of grey

Great job! You can't see the join!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Great job! You can't see the join!

Thanks Phil

There was a distinct line around the box from layers of varnish and powders but fortunately I managed to sand it back and blend it in

I admit it was a little scary removing it but fortune favours the brave (or the daft) :blink:

Chris

P.S. I’m always grateful of constructive advice and will take action where I can :)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I imagine the chap at our local corner shop wonders why I’m always buying cocktail sticks

9AC379A4-B24B-49AC-941E-D74B6A49FCE9.jpeg

The red on the slide jacks is just the base coat, I’ll pick out the details at the top with silver and the bottom with black paint and an application of weathering powders to tone it down

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

There was a distinct line around the box from layers of varnish and powders but fortunately I managed to sand it back and blend it in

It's a shame that you've had to go to that trouble, as I think with a little modification you could use the electricity box. I agree in its current form it's obviously a modern looking fibreglass moulding, but if you cut round the edges and add some styrene strip then it would look more like the wooden ones that would be used in that period:

station-lighting061.jpg.cc2d2dd1ac73c1304ca7f556e6366e4e.jpg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

It's a shame that you've had to go to that trouble, as I think with a little modification you could use the electricity box. I agree in its current form it's obviously a modern looking fibreglass moulding, but if you cut round the edges and add some styrene strip then it would look more like the wooden ones that would be used in that period:

station-lighting061.jpg.cc2d2dd1ac73c1304ca7f556e6366e4e.jpg

Al.

Thanks Al

It wasn’t too much trouble and I’m the first to admit I’m making it up as I go along so I’m bound to make little mistakes as I go

I’m liking your suggestion though, I think I’ll try that :good_mini:

I wise man once said “He who dares wins Rodney”

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

You're quite right, I’m possibly being too fussy

7F53867C-FC2A-4A90-A41F-4E6AE7C08D43.jpeg

I don't think that's too terrible a tree.   Remove or disguise the base.    Then it should look decent.   Maybe add a literal sprinkle of brown scatter to the foliage, for variety.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I don't think that's too terrible a tree.   Remove or disguise the base.    Then it should look decent.   Maybe add a literal sprinkle of brown scatter to the foliage, for variety.

on second thoughts it’s not as bad as I initially thought so I think you might be right 

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it’s going to work, assuming I’ve got the height correct (ideally level with the ballast)

AD5EA187-F8C8-48D4-9076-38999E0B579C.jpeg.4930cc8b06ed57818c150fcd6474a910.jpeg

I must have done something right though because it’s just placed on at the moment and it hasn’t fallen over :lol: it won’t get glued in place until the engine shed is secured in place and the ballast is re-done

I must say I’m really impressed with the stuff from Modelu, very highly detailed

EB986D72-852C-486B-918D-6EB7EB4E63E3.jpeg.225733795f8dfd978162f8c77a362a7b.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Could the standpipe use a small brass etched drain cover below it maybe?

It’s something I’m considering, either that or a hose pipe coming off it or both....maybe

In the end I ended up using the bench vice cut off the Preiser HO workshop bench (in the same set as the pillar drill)

I took @Stubby47‘s suggestion and purchased the workshop kit from Severn Models and have used one or two bits so far, I’m going to put some more tools in the toolboxes

B3540234-DD5B-4A95-901B-005A56A43928.jpeg.be68de8c87ed90a0076729ec677998a0.jpeg

462A4B79-287B-4724-ABC1-E37194C07197.jpeg.c3aaa4ae5722c6441ed852dc2c844b52.jpeg

And especially for @Harlequin there’s a person on site today

5E987D45-3574-42CA-AA44-02CA623ED2E7.jpeg.0cd5759e4a4d98da1e8d2e677f7f982b.jpeg

But he’s up to no good :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

Might I suggest a light dry-brush of a metallic colour on the spanners. They look a little dull in the dark colour (black?) they presently are.

You'd probably have a small accumulation of junk on the floor against the walls as well, a barrel of oily rags, maybe some piles of sacking or a sleeper or two or scrap timber for jacking/re-railing, a cardboard box for rubbish, a hose to wash down the floor, an iron stove perhaps, that kind of thing. A notice board in there might help too. Here's Lyme Regis shed, taken in later days than your setting so maybe a bit less well-cared for, but you get the idea.

Lyme_Regis_shed_interior.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The spanner’s are only black because I’ve used a blackening agent as I thought this might be a less fiddly alternative to painting the brass

4182C0F1-7587-46E5-A576-3AD7F625F53B.jpeg.f7b6688b2d394e456021506911af9961.jpeg

I've got some metallic paint so I’ll have a go at dry brushing them

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Might I suggest a light dry-brush of a metallic colour on the spanners. They look a little dull in the dark colour (black?) they presently are.

You'd probably have a small accumulation of junk on the floor against the walls as well, a barrel of oily rags, maybe some piles of sacking or a sleeper or two or scrap timber for jacking/re-railing, a cardboard box for rubbish, a hose to wash down the floor, an iron stove perhaps, that kind of thing. A notice board in there might help too. Here's Lyme Regis shed, taken in later days than your setting so maybe a bit less well-cared for, but you get the idea.

Lyme_Regis_shed_interior.jpg

I’ve only just gotten over the OCD of placing things randomly

I may have to seek counselling before making a mess too :lol:  

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Stocked up the shelving, no need to add too much detail as it’s on the back wall so it’s really just to give the impression of it being in use....at least better than empty shelving 

Attempted to paint the wall mounted spanner set too but I’m in two minds whether or not to use it....maybe a bit too much like a garage

As usual the photo is quite cruel but the painting of the spanner’s is as bad as photographed :rolleyes:

6A37CCD6-6099-45B3-9FC3-A8ECCFFC8D25.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Poor Spelling Corrected
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I like the Spanner Rack Chris, but they would have been Chrome Plated and shinny from use.

I’ve decided against using the spanner rack, it just looks like I’ve pinched it off my old man’s garage wall :lol:

I must admit that I just assumed large spanners of the period would be blackened or have a black/dark grey patina as opposed to clean chrome

I suppose I just associated chrome to be more in keeping with a modern loco depo

Edited by chuffinghell
More spelling errors
  • Agree 1