• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Looks better,  it'll be easier to tell once painted.

As expected it’s highlighted a few areas that require more attention but otherwise I think I’ll get there

many thanks for your input 

Chris

72EEE9DE-E3E7-4ADD-A0BA-225BC8E2749F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 14/09/2019 at 20:10, sb67 said:

That's looking very nice Chris, you certainly work to a high standard, I'm looking forward to seeing things develop.

Steve.

Totally agree with you here Steve, Chris's work is inspirational and quality...wish I could emulate your standards Chris...well done...

Regards

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BobM said:

Totally agree with you here Steve, Chris's work is inspirational and quality...wish I could emulate your standards Chris...well done...

Regards

Bob

Thank you for your kind comments, very humbling, however from what I’ve seen of your work I’d say we’re on par

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve absolutely no idea although looking at photos some were straight and some had the upward kink

I think that GWR did it their way without any reason other than because that’s how they did it :lol:

The arms were originally straight and those versions were still used in many places but the cranked arm was introduced to deal with the higher filling points of larger tenders. (I'm sure I read that recently but can't remember where so can't give you a reference.)

So, at Warren Branch (what actually is the station name, Chris?) it was more likely to have been a straight armed version and, being platform mounted, a short column version.

There are lots of great pics on gwr.org.uk, as always. http://www.gwr.org.uk/water-cranes.html Notice the rows of cast iron covers near the hopper and the hopper position at the back of the platform in two of the photos.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The arms were originally straight and those versions were still used in many places but the cranked arm was introduced to deal with the higher filling points of larger tenders. (I'm sure I read that recently but can't remember where so can't give you a reference.)

So, at Warren Branch (what actually is the station name, Chris?) it was more likely to have been a straight armed version and, being platform mounted, a short column version.

There are lots of great pics on gwr.org.uk, as always. http://www.gwr.org.uk/water-cranes.html Notice the rows of cast iron covers near the hopper and the hopper position at the back of the platform in two of the photos.

That makes sense so the story I’ve come up with is that cash strapped Warren relocated the crane onto the platform from its original floor mounted position :lol:

I was just going to call the station Warren

The elements contained within Warren are totally fictitious and bare no resemblance to any location living or dea

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve attempted to lay down the dark stone on the water crane

I’m going to redo the main column with the dark stone a little higher up as It’s a little low, apparently the dark stone was painted up the first 5ft (roughly 20mm)

not that I’m that bothered about specifics (rule #1) it just looks too low

8109EE98-169D-47BB-AF22-E227328A0ADA.jpeg

I’ve also painted the base, I’ve opened up the holes so the column and valve go through the base inside of sitting on top in an attempt to make the grey area appear more like a cover plate (if that makes sense)

53FCF7CA-F647-4FAD-AB74-1BC8B2FA7673.jpeg.355f3928a4fcdf3b23abacf350ba265e.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the paint on the water crane is drying I’ve turned my attention back to the engine shed.

I made a box out of black plasticard and glued this to the underside of the roof and drilled a 3mm hole in the centre for a grain of wheat bulb. Threaded the wiring through the conduit and hey presto

199A6039-2CA5-4591-B95E-5B588DA75293.jpeg.aeb6e92b5d3e3189dfcb2112d3a5a3d8.jpeg

I’ve wired the internal and external wiring separate, the interior will come on constant and the exterior via a switch I’ve done this because the interior of the shed is always in darkness plus I’ll wire each one to a separate adjustable resistor to adjust the brightness individually

D62E4529-CC80-4B48-9DEE-ED410C3258A8.jpeg.d8bb965aeba9ce36e3ce2a8d828c95d7.jpeg

A quick test with a 9v Battery

4BD6F905-2235-4D0E-9AF3-DC7833056DC2.jpeg.c089cca2ac90b1bbf8eb51943d452994.jpeg

Once finished the wiring will go through the baseboard, out of sight

91F6777D-B236-4BB8-B3F9-1962E5B20D98.jpeg.80251e20100bf7f629fd7b47d4fa518c.jpeg

All that’s left is to the glaze the windows, weather the roof and paint/fit the guttering and downpipes :blink:

I did say I’ll get it done this side of Christmas :lol:

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I like the way you've done the lighting Chris, but just watch out that the Grain of Wheat Bulb doesn't get to hot. Can you not use an LED?

I’m only putting 2.5-3v through it so it should only get a little warm.....hopefully

Plus Its been embedded in 300degree silicon gasket

D9DF72B8-B95A-4959-9F81-853E3A946352.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Glazing is in, like the pump house I’ve sprayed Matt varnish on the inside to make the ‘glass’ appear opaque but retaining its reflective properties on the outside....I think I may have gone too heavy with the varnish but I suppose engine sheds are pretty grubby on the inside

Its on 9v for testing but I’ll dial it down to about 3v to replicate gas lighting as I did on the pump house

6FD79C5F-6076-4244-9C22-D1953DC03AC5.jpeg

33B2DF63-7FB5-4184-B36A-8F29F0A5C53F.jpeg

B63BFC86-DC38-45D4-B41F-F39690BEE2C8.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I’ve done a little of my least favourite part of the hobby.....wiring!

B188A2DE-02C4-4E79-9459-997332BB98A7.jpeg.0ab6791f6dc373d2b9f95b3e92dd364c.jpeg

The interior lighting has now been dialed down to approximately 2.5v to give a subtle glow, just enough to illuminate the interior without being too bright

8D6515BA-F1D8-4B55-B13C-B00414FE7C3A.jpeg.363761e8bdf2c894e2475deead74b50d.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had second thoughts about the glazing on the far side because personally I didn’t like the fact you can see the glazing on top of the window bars when you look through the door opening

24F6D605-02DB-4116-89D6-8CF836E6BEBB.jpeg.6188f82922b4644f1024c9f4afceb16f.jpeg

18FDAD8C-2CC3-4472-8B4F-E2285A1A31D1.jpeg.48771b7e2cda11886af9d463000209e4.jpeg

I’ve kept the glazing on the opposite  side as that’s the side the layout is viewed from

I just think it looks better without the glazing on that side especially when viewed through the door opening.....until I change my mind

Made a start on putting together a few interior bits ‘n’ bobs from scale model scenery. Got some shelving, work benches, ladders and step ladders

C7AA68AA-C438-4B8A-9152-23907C9016CB.jpeg.5c0dfce80667ecf74a0d0058a1b2ea56.jpeg

Not sure that I’ve done the wrong thing removing the glazing?

But it was bugging me, I welcome any thoughts, opinions or constructive criticism

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

On 21/09/2019 at 13:05, chuffinghell said:

That makes sense so the story I’ve come up with is that cash strapped Warren relocated the crane onto the platform from its original floor mounted position :lol:

I was just going to call the station Warren

The elements contained within Warren are totally fictitious and bare no resemblance to any location living or dea

You could use the story that the current water crane replaced an older and defunct one (installed by the original independent railway?) and Swindon had a cranked arm crane available so installed it at Warren even though it wasn't strictly necessary.

or...

You could run a King with a 4500 gallon tender in order to justify your water crane model. :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

You could use the story that the current water crane replaced an older and defunct one (installed by the original independent railway?) and Swindon had a cranked arm crane available so installed it at Warren even though it wasn't strictly necessary.

or...

You could run a King with a 4500 gallon tender in order to justify your water crane model. :D

That’s sounds more plausible than the BS I came up with

As far as a King would it be allowed to drive tender first? There’s no turntable at Warren :lol:

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

That’s sounds more plausible than the BS I came up with

As far as a King would it be allowed to drive tender first? There’s no turntable at Warren :lol:

Yet...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I’ve got jobs to do around the house over the next few evenings this week, however, still didn’t stop me knocking together one of the work benches

8D04BB82-6335-41BC-B658-C87B654E31C6.jpeg.adc7b4794690af334300588bf703a311.jpeg

I admit I was a little sceptical about these laser cut accessories but they’re actually really rather good, they go together a treat and look just the job

I'm thinking two or three benches, a couple of shelving units and a step ladder should suffice....maybe a ladder up against the wall and some bits ‘n’ bobs laying around

I suppose I should get some hand tools etc to put on top of the benches and maybe some oil cans on the shelving?

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks for that Stu

I’m sure quite a number of those tools wouldn’t look out of place in an engine shed