• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Chris, the shed is looking the business. Where did you get the laser cut benches from? My shed could do with interior detail. Thanks.

Thank you

They are from scale model scenery

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/oo-scale-9-c.asp

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Thanks 1

I will support Stu in endorsing Severn Models. I go past his stand at shows and spend a happy twenty minutes with my nose pressed against the glass of his display cabinets like a five year old outside a toy shop. He produces some simply gorgeous fine detailed bits n bobs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I will support Stu in endorsing Severn Models. I go past his stand at shows and spend a happy twenty minutes with my nose pressed against the glass of his display cabinets like a five year old outside a toy shop. He produces some simply gorgeous fine detailed bits n bobs.

I’ve ordered the workshop set, so hopefully I’ll have lots of spanner’s laying around (if I can ignore my OCD placing them randomly and not have them neatly lined up perfectly perpendicular to the edge of the bench :blink:)

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

The bench vice is a fiddly little thing

BD60C524-7C6F-47B0-9BBF-929EC6345821.jpeg.e8aae70dda3845861fc6902ceb9fef2d.jpeg

While I’m feeling blue

FB7A3ACE-30B3-4C7F-B40F-86DA75F54C8E.jpeg.0f4b1c001bc1c856dd10505f425d0e3a.jpeg

Ended up drilling a 0.5mm hole in the base so I could put it on a cocktail stick to paint it

Apologies for the blurred photo, couldn’t get it in focus

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Added a few bits onto the shelving, haven’t got a clue what I’m doing so I’m just guessing at what may be put on the shelving. The oil cans are from Modelu

15F81834-9AF0-4FC4-BF93-BDF75EBFC7EF.jpeg.5a6a98aa849be30bf88014dc1eff7c8e.jpeg

I'm also ‘attempting’ to make something that looks like oil tins or paint tins

C6E40BC3-8303-4837-83C9-0638557D4EF9.jpeg.c21b5d334ad6c4eac3bf90c3aadd686f.jpeg

2DE08549-BB6F-420A-9684-77D593D18C2E.jpeg.8bd30a66774cac5ccc961a333fe2a2f0.jpeg

Although at the moment they look like rolls of toilet paper :blink:

I’m not very good a ramdom placement, it goes against my OCD 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Many years ago I made some chrome spanners for a workbench out of bits of solid single strand wire, and then flattened with a hammer, (a real hammer that is), and then bent the ends.

It all looks very neat and professional mate.

• RMweb Gold

It doesn’t look too bad, just mocked up at the moment while I play with positions

260B33A8-5C5F-4F5E-B963-9F6C6E7F663D.jpeg.b61f9a4a738457c08bab11eda93474a8.jpeg

10299C72-D28C-46C2-8AC1-B6A49FE54FD3.jpeg.5455e5166b6ab79d6b1cc21a90933f81.jpeg

Having three sons means I never got the opportunity to make a dolls house, so this is the next best thing till we’re blessed with a granddaughter

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sb67 said:

Those paint cans look fine Chris, even in a cruel close up photo. Have you looked at them with the bench in the shed? I like the attention to detail you have.

Steve.

They look okay viewed  ‘straight on’ as photoed but not so good from the top but I’m sure I’ll be able to do something.

One thing I had forgotten about were the loco jacks I’d purchased from Modelu, I’ve go four of these babies (yet to be trimmed and painted)

10C1C3E5-BD74-4B6C-BABF-2A652197B67D.jpeg

• Like 4

You are going to hate me for suggesting this but I am wondering if paint cans were a thing in the 1930s. I have seen paint for railway use stored as a paste or even a powder and then mixed to the correct consistency by adding oil, it was then applied out of paint kettles which are small tin buckets with handles about the size of a medium saucepan. Ready mixed paint in cans, I am not so sure. Perhaps it did happen but I am not aware of it.

What would paint be used for in a small local engine shed on a branch?

Yes, I know, I hate to suggest these things but I hope you are heading for realism and don't mind the comments.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

You are going to hate me for suggesting this but I am wondering if paint cans were a thing in the 1930s. I have seen paint for railway use stored as a paste or even a powder and then mixed to the correct consistency by adding oil, it was then applied out of paint kettles which are small tin buckets with handles about the size of a medium saucepan. Ready mixed paint in cans, I am not so sure. Perhaps it did happen but I am not aware of it.

What would paint be used for in a small local engine shed on a branch?

Yes, I know, I hate to suggest these things but I hope you are heading for realism and don't mind the comments.

“Hate me”? Never!

To be honest I’m glad you’ve given me an excuse not to use them as they didn’t turn out how I wanted them to anyway

So in answer to your question, no I don’t mind at all, you’ve done me a favour :good_mini:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I’d also forgotten I’d ordered these standpipes from Modelu too, I originally intended to put them by the pump house

I thought maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have one near the engine shed  too for washing down the locos and washing out the inspection pit etc?

I've removed some of the ballast and I’ll glue a styrene rod of the same diameter in place so it sits flush or slightly below the ballast. Should make gluing the standpipe in place much easier than trying to stick it on top of ballast?

6F634FA2-EFB1-448B-91AF-A8F8C8983A5C.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

It's these sorts of little details that help to set the overall scene.

It'll need some grass/moss around the base too.

Its a shame the last photo was just a bit of fun, I may have to do something similar elsewhere because it looks quite good as it is.

I've recently purchased a static grass kit and also some flock and various scenic materials so once the shed interior is done I’ll be able to fix the shed in place permanently and add the moss and grass etc

I did make the mistake of buying a ready made tree (one of the Hornby Scenics range) but I wasn’t over impressed so I’m eventually going to have a go at making my own with sea foam and flock

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There are oil cans left on benches, spades propped against walls, signs of recent activity but...

No people!

Was everyone vapourised in the night by Ming the Merciless?

P.S. The electricity box looks way too modern to me.

Edited by Harlequin

The higher-end ready-made trees really do look nice, and are good if you want one or two to stand alone.   The bulk pack ones aren't bad for filling out a forest.   I lucked out, though.  I was given three blisters of about 30 trees each by my uncle.   Still, I wouldn't write off the ready-to-plant trees.