• RMweb Gold

Not had a chance to do much of late, I’ve made a tiny amount of progress

I’ve given the opposite bank another coat of brown ready for static grass etc but I’m going to wait until the weather cools because I do want to risk the base glue going off faster than I can apply the grass

in the meantime I’ve primed the ratio retaining wall and the 3D printed wing walls and I also printed capping stones for the retaining wall to match the wing walls. Also drilled the holes for ratio handrail stanchions

99CAEA1C-AF49-461A-91B5-A7FACCC02C59.jpeg.8c3798799fdba5af8f762fb7301e7e77.jpeg

Should I leave the stanchions and handrail black?

9AF58131-1FF1-4E09-B173-54E78F9B14EA.jpeg.9ae653ffb6235de42ed70f0d55e617e9.jpeg

I’ve also attempted to design and print the flooring around the pump house, it looks like it will work with some changes but my printer has packed up (I think I’ve over worked it) so I'm waiting for a replacement under warranty

7611474C-C646-412E-A9A5-E275907F2445.jpeg.8072ea127a5f7bf7fbcfc2217c596aa2.jpeg

So I’m having them printed elsewhere

I've designed the flooring with fake rails that enter the pump house, I have some Peco OO-9 V skip wagons that Sarah bought for me when I was originally going to model a narrow gauge railway so they will be perfect for getting the coal into the pump house

96C9EBE8-24C1-46E0-A4F6-923BBD72F7E4.jpeg.8065cfb567da68f1aa66af9647db313a.jpeg

I’ve had to “blow the bl**dy doors off” the pump house so I can cut a little off the bottom to allow for the flooring

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's definitely taking shape though Chris and I do like the narrow gauge tub line. 

it’s probably not prototypical but I think it will look right, makes getting the coal (or spare parts) into the pump house much easier than a dozen wheelbarrow trips 

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You do realise that manufactures warranty doesn't cover the printer being shot at?

I do which is why I didn’t tell them about that

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

it’s probably not prototypical but I think it will look right, makes getting the coal (or spare parts) into the pump house much easier than a dozen wheelbarrow trips 

I do which is why I didn’t tell them about that

Nor chucking it onto the floor and then jumping up and down on it either I hope.

44 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

it’s probably not prototypical but I think it will look right, makes getting the coal (or spare parts) into the pump house much easier than a dozen wheelbarrow trips.

I doubt that you would be able to keep up with the kind of boiler that needs a chimney like the one in your model with a wheelbarrow.

Below is Leicester Abbey pumping station. Admittedly it's a little grander than yours. The tall building houses four huge beam engines and the lower building housed a bank of Lancashire boilers to keep it all running constantly.

Near the fence you can make out the inset narrow gauge track and points which was used for bringing in coal, oil and spare parts through those archways and taking ash out. You can see one of the tip cars top right. 

Prototypical enough I'd say. 🤔

abbey-pumping-station.jpg.f50e13fa113f30ea07fcc7162f9e5242.jpg

Picture: TripAdvisor

Boiler array in the middle building with the clerestory roof, taken from the stoking room (front one with the arches)

a12980.jpg.4cef62657747629623832887c949a3a3.jpg

Picture: History of Leicester 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Handrail rail colour?

3FB63AF8-9D36-4CF9-BBBA-CBD30A1664BE.jpeg.37b4541132a674e96f6bda2f8f273466.jpeg

I’m intending to paint the stanchions and handrail in one colour mainly because that would be easier but I’m not sure what colour

I initially thought painting them in weathered black but I wasn’t sure if that was correct

I’m pretty sure if it were a modern era they would be yellow to please the heath and safety bods but what about the mid thirties?

thoughts?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Handrail rail colour?

3FB63AF8-9D36-4CF9-BBBA-CBD30A1664BE.jpeg.37b4541132a674e96f6bda2f8f273466.jpeg

I’m intending to paint the stanchions and handrail in one colour mainly because that would be easier but I’m not sure what colour

I initially thought painting them in weathered black but I wasn’t sure if that was correct

I’m pretty sure if it were a modern era they would be yellow to please the heath and safety bods but what about the mid thirties?

thoughts?

I'd probably go for a dark bottle green, something like Humbrol 30.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Choices, choices.... Items such as bridges and their railings were painted grey, but there was a dark green in use at one time, the exact details of which are apparently lost. Railings in (mostly) non public areas were painted in a black bitumen paint.

I'm assuming of course that the railings are on the railway property? If not, the colour used for the pumping station doors etc.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Choices, choices.... Items such as bridges and their railings were painted grey, but there was a dark green in use at one time, the exact details of which are apparently lost. Railings in (mostly) non public areas were painted in a black bitumen paint.

I'm assuming of course that the railings are on the railway property? If not, the colour used for the pumping station doors etc.

maybe dark or light stone being GWR colours?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I think that dark stone would look good actually. 

2BA51513-DFB1-4C08-B83C-1F6B1744FE06.jpeg.5130daf2fc4e354c6d720507a6a02fd2.jpeg

it will be darker once dry and weathered

The stanchions are okay but the amount of ‘flash’ that needs to be removed is ridiculous…..and after painting it appears I didn’t remove it all

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The stanchions are okay but the amount of ‘flash’ that needs to be removed is ridiculous…..and after painting it appears I didn’t remove it all

Even when I magnify your photo I've a job to see any "flash"! Will the handrails just rest in their holes prior to ballasting?

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I see no flash! 

One thing that I have often had problems with is misalignment of the die halves resulting in a step in the moulding. Not always possible to file back to square either. It's been a problem with some of my fencing. Compromise and a good coat of paint being the answer!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Even when I magnify your photo I've a job to see any "flash"! Will the handrails just rest in their holes prior to ballasting?

In that case I won’t point it out

I’ve not thought that far ahead, I’ve not decided whether to ballast upto the edge or have a little grass in between so the ballast line matches what I’ve already done….

6E1B2CE6-3F36-47A3-A5DB-BC3B9C4235B5.jpeg.44dcac826a2fe0d76703211a5a2408a7.jpeg

….but either way common sense says to put them in afterwards so I’ll probably do the opposite to what common sense dictates 

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One thing that I have often had problems with is misalignment of the die halves resulting in a step in the moulding. Not always possible to file back to square either. It's been a problem with some of my fencing. Compromise and a good coat of paint being the answer!

It does look like slight mould misalignment but I imagine the tooling is older than I am

After throwing on some dark earth weathering powder the imperfections actually add to the effect…I think so anyway

085069EE-BEAA-45A4-9EC9-73C7B4766122.jpeg.579850aa3fe22980f73973a667e45a55.jpeg

I’ve also looked at picking out some of the stones in the retaining wall, I don’t normally do this because I’m never happy with the effect and I think it looks ‘cartoony’ but I’ll give it a black wash and take it from there….I could always repaint it if I don’t like it

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I see no flash! 

here he is

40A16E0C-2A61-447E-BB5E-9CDE9CC66C1B.gif.54261f5328f42018ee2abaf5c35da619.gif

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I don't know whether we are at cross-purposes, Chris but I was meaning ballast behind the handrail plinth where you can see the ends of the sleepers.

Sorry my IQ has taken a nosedive since having covid, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking by it

I’m going to attempt to ballast with the handrails in place because I’ve found that with the handrails in place  I’ve been able to straighten some of the stanchions but then have had to touch up the paint.

The holes drilled for the stanchions are not quite an interference fit but just right for nice push fit that hold without glue so I decided to leave them alone otherwise I’ll probably end up bend the wire because I can’t pull them all out in one go

A run of static grass between the edge of the ballast and plinth might also help disguise the height difference as the plinth is possibly too low

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Sorry my IQ has taken a nosedive since having covid, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking by it

I’m going to attempt to ballast with the handrails in place because I’ve found that with the handrails in place  I’ve been able to straighten some of the stanchions but then have had to touch up the paint.

The holes drilled for the stanchions are not quite an interference fit but just right for nice push fit that hold without glue so I decided to leave them alone otherwise I’ll probably end up bend the wire because I can’t pull them all out in one go

A run of static grass between the edge of the ballast and plinth might also help disguise the height difference as the plinth is possibly too low

All looks great to me Chris. As you say any imperfections only add to realism. 

One thing I would say is a don't think that steel prop should be left there. There won't be any room for the pump house.😋

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

All looks great to me Chris. As you say any imperfections only add to realism. 

One thing I would say is a don't think that steel prop should be left there. There won't be any room for the pump house.😋

Handrail is self supporting now so prop has been removed…..

A796E13E-D7C1-4F7C-A414-184827E4469E.jpeg.c10945dc52c3b76da98ed6929b6a46e9.jpeg

…..steel block still holding the wall up though, for now

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve not decided whether to ballast upto the edge or have a little grass in between so the ballast line matches what I’ve already done…

There's normally a 'cess' between the edge of the ballast and any fencing, foliage etc, to allow space for staff to walk. In those days, most likely ash.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks a bit of a mess at the moment but you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs

DA410D0C-6DF2-40F1-9DFC-CFA9E0F64EA3.jpeg.3ff0aac0f8655821858b53ae1e8f791c.jpeg

Made from four sections glued onto a sheet of plasticard, I’ve spread some filler over the whole thing to help disguise the joins

I’m making it up as I go along

You can just about make out the footprint of the pump house, I’ll attempt to clean it up tomorrow 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Looks good from here. I didn't think that my livestock yard was going to work, but a coat of filler/ paint / dirt changed my mind.

thanks Rob

I’m hoping a splodge of brown or black wash over the whole thing will do something magical

Once the pump house, coal bunker, bollards and crane goes on it should look better

• Like 2