I'll say about the crane.   I don't think I've seen mention of light English cranes using cable.   I'm probably wrong, and welcome to being corrected.   Chain is much more probable, methinks.   You're good with the chain.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m looking at grassing the left hand side soon, would it be correct to have the ash ‘path’ from the edge of the ballast up to the edge of the coping stones of the retaining wall?

I imagine there would be little or no foliage in that area due to the ash because I’m sure I’ve been told that not a lot grows where there is ash

8F692972-40B3-4EB4-83F7-AB115AD7065C.jpeg.29badedf3079102990be4cbdbb00f3b4.jpeg

Yep, exactly that.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'll say about the crane.   I don't think I've seen mention of light English cranes using cable.   I'm probably wrong, and welcome to being corrected.   Chain is much more probable, methinks.   You're good with the chain.

That’s reassuring, thought so too because most kits come with string instead of chain so I wasn’t sure

thanks

Edited by chuffinghell

8 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

a few dark patches but I’m hoping they add to the effect

Looks good to me. I'd expect some variation. The odd little bit of unevenness in the underlying surface...  some water collects...  some mud accumulates...   some slightly darker patches develop.

So, just like you have on the model, then!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust a good horse would also consider what's good for the tomatoes besides pulling the barge! 

I'm still considering how much canal life to portray at Newton Regis, as I have some Scalescenes' stuff and a coal barge kit. I reckon I might squeeze in a transfer wharf.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Done a little experiment with some fast tack glue and some fine scatter

6DBABB12-4BED-4ED2-B4FB-D9A1891BE79C.jpeg.b4937c2c10db449a9e02ad62334590f3.jpeg

on the left- glue applied into the gaps with a very fine brush and ‘burnt grass’ scatter pressed on and excess shaken off

in the middle-same as above but wiped over

on the right-same as the left with ‘weeds’ scatter but once left overnight I’m going to see what happens if I wipe over the surface

if the moss would be all over then it might take a while 😆

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The middle one looks best to me, Chuffers. If the sight was abandoned then the other two would be okay but as it's a working area moss would be confined to just the joint areas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A speedy way might be just to run some thinned moss green paint between the setts.

That sounds like a worthwhile experiment, which could even be enhanced by some really fine (coffee grinder fine) scatter to give some texture.

• RMweb Premium

For moss and lichens I often use tea dust (the stuff which accumulates at the bottom of your box of tea bags). Use the same technique by applying some dilute pva within the gaps with a fine brush and sprinkle on the tea dust. Make sure glue has thoroughly dried then paint over the dust with dilute green moss colour paint. Use the same test piece to practise on first.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, that's sad news after all your efforts. Don't give up now, the new version could be even better. To give you some encouragement, this was my railway and look at it now, however it's all be deliberately done, except for the damage to the station shed.

DSC00232.JPG.8069c1b0fed46ec1c57937b38c580cae.JPG

DSC00233.JPG.9be1568d1a78ececedfddd3065a6e133.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Warren is suffering some difficulty, but please don't give up Chris, you're among friends and we're all here for you.

Take stock, form a plan and share when you're ready, it need not be cunning, so practical will do.

Very best to you,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I pulled my station building apart at least twice due to a b#lls up, the signal box nearly went in the bin half a dozen times, the river nearly ended up like canal locks, the supposed flat station yard ended up like the car park of a drive in movie theatre, I broke the same set of points twice, cracked the footplate of number 23 cutting out for the motor and managed to trash the photo backscenes whilst trying to curve them around the ends of the layout.

That's just off the top of my head.

Don't give up.mate, you're a more precise worker than 95% of the rest of us!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5