• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You've got two methods of alignment, the clips and the slot in the surface.

Might be simpler to avoid the slot, just set the "cassette table" at the level of the bottom of the slot. Then it's really easy to slide cassettes around to make up the train at the front. The less often you have to lift cassettes the safer their contents!

The cassette table surface can be made from an offcut of kitchen work surface or a melamine-faced shelf board, for example, to help the cassettes slide around more easily.

Thanks Phil

That would certainty be easier that remaking the whole thing I could just remove the sliding part of the existing fiddle yard, lay in a piece of melamine faced board as suggested and add a block after the existing curve

FY8.png.21bed87bb24aba744dba5956aa8a4c99.png

I'd have to add a piece into the existing fascia board to make it look 'nice' but then do the same as before?

FY5.png.10f99a67da220f2dbd07b88842722db2.png

FY6.png.ad079ebd301c59ad82bd6350576f41d6.png

FY7.png.2529fc181c0327c2bc792eddb91a8ae3.png

Is that what you were thinking?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Looks great - no need to reinvent the wheel when there's already a well-established method.

I'd also suggest thinking about a way of stopping the stock from rolling off the end when you pick up the cassettes...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Looks great - no need to reinvent the wheel when there's already a well-established method.

I'd also suggest thinking about a way of stopping the stock from rolling off the end when you pick up the cassettes...

It is something I’m planning on, just haven’t gotten around to it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bug**r

I got my measurements wrong

IMG_9662.jpeg.9e3e892af0481708de6c7669af2222b5.jpeg

My laptop fits perfectly, I must have misread my own sketches 

IMG_9663.jpeg.80bb129b3098257ebf9000d1f7324482.jpeg

The idea is to have the ‘shelf’ slide out from underneath the layout when in use

IMG_9661.jpeg.1fc5871cb3a2f795cd0f6c5952e6e391.jpeg

I’ll have to get the top piece re-cut

oh well back to the drawing board (literally)

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ooh fancy!

I’m guessing the laptop is slightly longer than its recess?

It is, it’s one of those foldy-uppy into a tablet ones. It’s a nice fit

Had to get some 90 degree USB connectors so the cables were out of sight

IMG_9667.jpeg.b48b3ef177178d2c845ec59c560be516.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Does the front edge of the laptop hole need to be in line with the Dynamis control and with rounded corners?

The front edge of the laptop lines up with the front edge of the hand controller and the back edge of the laptop with the back edge of the main unit (or it would if I’d double checked)

IMG_9662.jpeg.1fc586e6a7fcf6ccefd510645c6b08b6.jpeg

The holes for the ‘feet’ of the main unit are the wrong distance apart so the main unit doesn’t fit inside

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's a bit irritating, but at least know that there's not one of us here hasn't been visited by the balls up fairy.

I've recently had to order a piece of metal for a bike related job because I had nothing in the stash, waited a week for it to arrive, marked out, drilled, slotted and and filed before realising that I had made a mirror image of what I needed.

Now of course it's holding up the job while I wait for another piece to arrive in the post! 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's a bit irritating, but at least know that there's not one of us here hasn't been visited by the balls up fairy.

I've recently had to order a piece of metal for a bike related job because I had nothing in the stash, waited a week for it to arrive, marked out, drilled, slotted and and filed before realising that I had made a mirror image of what I needed.

Now of course it's holding up the job while I wait for another piece to arrive in the post! 

Measure twice, cut once.

Throw away, measure again...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Measure twice, cut once.

Throw away, measure again...

Agreed! However my measurements are spot on, I just miss read my own sketches

IMG_9669.jpeg.0114532db3ea3b581dcb7d6b61e82709.jpeg

When I drew it up on CAD I stupidly made the 77mm dimension 81.5mm thus making the ‘feet’ 4.5mm out

Scary considering I do technical drawings for a living and have done for over thirty years

• Friendly/supportive 8

Good morning Chris,

Having been a design engineer myself for many years I can relate to your frustration.

Once of the best measurement/scaling errors I came across was a programming error by our, usually brilliant, fabricators. We had designed a set of instrumentation racks for the New Measurement Train (NMT) which were being laser cut.

When the samples came back the production manager proudly displayed them on his office desk. The fabricators had produced them 5  times too small, so that instead of being full height (6 ft) they were perfect bookends!

We soon had another set supplied, at no cost to us, and a good few laughs in the design team. As the design manager I was glad it wasn't our fubar.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning Chris,

Having been a design engineer myself for many years I can relate to your frustration.

Once of the best measurement/scaling errors I came across was a programming error by our, usually brilliant, fabricators. We had designed a set of instrumentation racks for the New Measurement Train (NMT) which were being laser cut.

When the samples came back the production manager proudly displayed them on his office desk. The fabricators had produced them 5  times too small, so that instead of being full height (6 ft) they were perfect bookends!

We soon had another set supplied, at no cost to us, and a good few laughs in the design team. As the design manager I was glad it wasn't our fubar.

Cheers, Nigel.

We've had similar when an item arrived 25.4 times smaller.

After sending the CAD file the units were changed from imperial to metric by our supplier because 99.9% of our stuff is metric but they didn't realise this particular component was imperial

We ended up with something 48mm sq instead of 4ft square 🤪

However in this case it was just a silly mistake but at least it was something for myself and not something for work (otherwise the shopfloor would have a field day)

Additional

Everyone makes mistakes, it's why they put erasers on the end of pencils

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The man who made no mistakes never made anything.

Someone (not me!) making a number of mistakes in converting a set of American drawings to metric caused the failure of a prototype machine during field tests and got me my first trip to Italy.

From there I got to see Russia, Japan, South Africa and led to other opportunities, so a balls up isn't always a bad thing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Graham T said:

@GMKAT7, your post reminded me immediately of this:

spinal-tap-stonehenge.gif

They're about to start filming a sequel to this, should be a laugh.  It has the original trio in the lineup, not sure about the drummer though.

Screenshot_20231129-150209-240.png.ac07189317a510ec221fa531ad0ed197.png

Edited by Tim Dubya
A nice sit down
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

The fabricators had produced them 5  times too small, so that instead of being full height (6 ft) they were perfect bookends!

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

…but they didn't realise this particular component was imperial

We ended up with something 48mm sq instead of 4ft square 🤪

Reminds me of the advert in the early 2000s for some sort of communications company (I think):

”Yes, we’ve received the pre-production sample. Did you think the name ‘Tiny Tim’ was supposed to be ironic?”