• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

The Modelu sheep look too small to me - Farmer Hoggett’s collie is the same size as they are!

To be honest I thought the modelu sheep were on the small side but being Modelu I just assumed they were right

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if 1:72 sheeps from Modelu would be a better compromise? The serious play ones aren’t that great quality wise

I like the Modelu ones because each one is slightly different, not sure if the term ‘poses’ applies to sheeps

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

You guys are aware that not all sheep are created equal right? There are small breeds and larger breeds and tups are bigger than ewes. Some of them are built like bulldozers and will plough you under as soon as look at you and that's just the ewes.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

You guys are aware that not all sheep are created equal right? There are small breeds and larger breeds and tups are bigger than ewes. Some of them are built like bulldozers and will plough you under as soon as look at you and that's just the ewes.

Regards Lez. 

Yep, there's some enormous ones around here that you need to watch out for especially when you're on a motorcycle.

The Serious Play ones paint up well, but as you say they're limited to a couple of versions.

The Modelu sheep look very good, possibly rather small to represent the Clun Forest breed though and at £18 for ten, I won't be filling the fields and cattle pens with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Are we still talking about sheep or something else? 

• Funny 2

13 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Whilst having a sort out at the weekend I came across a few bits bought a while ago

SHEEPS!

IMG_9601.jpeg.69edd28f1368efed9df7b2d8432816b0.jpeg

IMG_9600.jpeg.53692f1b7c591a80929444bea65c7211.jpeg

farmer Hoggett and his collie are Modelu and the sheeps are by ‘serious play’

I do have some Modelu sheeps that are finely detailed but they are considerably smaller

IMG_9603.jpeg.c9abfb384bec6cbcaef1bf13c48ba108.jpeg

and might get lost in the grass?

IMG_9604.jpeg.97e26c98536bf3d22c18ed5a9c4f221a.jpeg

I’m considering  shaving mowing the glass in this area and use the Modelu sheep as the others look too big to me, opinions please

Hi,

it all depends which breeds you have in your flock.

According to the National Sheep Association there are almost 90 different breeds in Britain, so plenty of choice and sizes!  Small breeds are some of the native ones, such as Soay, Hebridean, Quessant and Scottish Blackface, and larger ones such as Suffolk, Border Leicester, Lonk, Lincoln Longwool, Cheviot and Herdwick.  Why not have a mixed flock?

Roja

• Informative/Useful 1

I think sheep breeds are yet another potential minefield - different breeds in different areas and different time periods - same as everything else once you get down to the details.

I still think the Modelu sheep are a bit on the small side, but they’d probably be perfect toward the back of a layout or somewhere where there isn’t another obvious point of reference for size (ie not with Farmer Hoggett or next to a five bar gate).

The other thing that might be throwing me is; what breed are they? They look fairly chunky with quite a woolly head, so perhaps my brain is saying they should be one of the larger breeds? Or maybe it’s because I’m used to encountering larger breeds of sheep when I go walking?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

They look a bit like the Black faced Dartmoor breed but they are a little small. I think they have been done 1/87 scale rather than 1/76. The others shown as a comparison look more like 1/72 so a bit of a mix. If the bigger one's had horns they world be good for the Dorset Horn breed as they all have horns even the ewes and are big thickset sheep that I referred to as built like a bulldozer. Without horns they are a good lookalike for the Southdown breed which are also a chunky breed. As mentioned sheep are a minefield some sheep don't look like sheep at all looking more like goats than sheep and some goats look more like sheep than goats some aren't even sheep or goats, what we call the mountain goat is actually an Antelope. Then of course you have the issue of when and where a breed were introduced and which breed would be applicable on a layout. It's the same with cows you see many a layout with Friesian cows but they weren't introduced to Britain until after WWII. Farm animals in general are a minefield many animals we see around us now just wern't around in say grouping or pre-grouping times and are a result of cross breeding or introduction from elsewhere.

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards Lez.     

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Grew up on a farm, can confirm. Even amongst the same breed size can vary quite significantly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Grew up on a farm, can confirm. Even amongst the same breed size can vary quite significantly.

At school my best mate was a farmers son I basically grew up on a farm. I've lost count of how many county shows I've been to. We were arable plus rare breed cows but the farm next door did sheep. All a long time ago now but they were happy day for sure.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I wasn’t going to bother with a black face, just white on white

Colour of sheep. That's another can of worms* you've opened Chris . . .  🤣🐑

* you might need a modelu vet as well.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Colour of sheep. That's another can of worms* you've opened Chris . . .  🤣🐑

* you might need a modelu vet as well.

I heard you need a Vet for foot in mouth.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I never thought adding sheep would be so complicated 😳

I wasn’t going to bother with a black face, just white on white

Don't think multi coloured sheep would be the right impression for your time period Chris. That's more 1960's really.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't think multi coloured sheep would be the right impression for your time period Chris. That's more 1960's really.

Not really no. Quite a lot of breeds were developed in the late 18th century lots of them have black faces and lower legs quite a few aren't even white at all. Some were introduced in the 19th and even later into the 20th century by cross breeding or by being imported. There has been a resurgence of the older breeds in more recent times. Sheep are rarely bred for their wool now it costing more to have them shorn than the fleece is worth commercially. Google this it will give you an idea when breeds were developed and give links to facts about all things sheep.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sheep+breed+identifier&oq=&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgAECMYJxjqAjIJCAAQIxgnGOoCMgkIARAjGCcY6gIyCQgCECMYJxjqAjIJCAMQIxgnGOoCMgkIBBAjGCcY6gIyCQgFECMYJxjqAjIJCAYQIxgnGOoCMgkIBxAjGCcY6gLSAQkzNDE0ajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You will be surprised.

This will give a British slant to sheep.

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/mammals/native-british-sheep-breeds-and-how-to-recognise-them#black

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

That was something that I looked into myself regarding the "right" sheep for the area and time period, particularly as a lot of the livestock traffic would have been sheep.

The Clun Forest breed I posted pictures of earlier date back to around 1800 having distinctive dark brown faces and the Shropshire breed (black faces) appear by 1840.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the mountains in the background I would say that it isn't Abergavenny or anywhere else in GB. It could be the south island of New Zealand maybe Whataroa, Frans Joseph or Fox Glacier.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Another alternative

#one black one,

one white one,

and one with a bit of s**te on,

and one with a fairy light on to show us the way#

🤪

To be fair that's a pretty good description of my two sisters and myself. In fact that's exactly how we describe ourselves minus the fairy light.

Regards Lez. 

• Funny 3