• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Proper job. Are they fixed down and if so, how? 

I've been wondering where my sheep have flocked off to....

They are fixed in place using Woodland Scenics scenic glue on their feet and then pressed into the grass.

It will at least stop them falling over

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2023 at 21:45, MrWolf said:

Proper job. Are they fixed down and if so, how? 

I've been wondering where my sheep have flocked off to....

I’m having second thoughts about my sheeps I think I may have gone too heavy with the wash and they are too ‘mucky’

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Wolfy's right Chris if anything they are still too clean. The only time you see clean sheep is in the showground.

Regards Lez.

Totally agree Lez -  at the very least the bums need to be dirty, and a real modelling challenge would be to add the "clankers" to the bum area 😬

Sorry to say this Chris but they also prefer short grass.  Longer grass is suitable for cattle so they can wrap their tongues around it when they graze.  Sheep graze a bit like a lawn mower, and find long grass a challenge    

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Given the amount of wool they're carrying I assume it springtime; so, perhaps its time to get out the dagging shears and clean-up just the back ends to reduce the risk of fly-strike. If its late in the year you may want to do the same to make life easier for the boys come tupping time. Dagging sheep is an 'orrible way to earn your pocket money as a youngster. Not sure what dagging is? Think 'ovine vejazzle'! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Sorry to say this Chris but they also prefer short grass.  Longer grass is suitable for cattle so they can wrap their tongues around it when they graze.  Sheep graze a bit like a lawn mower, and find long grass a challenge    

Taking that on board the sheeps have been removed and the grass built back up to how it was (more or less)

IMG_9628.jpeg.11c6e5c61a57dc62252e9fc8d135a44f.jpeg

I might consider removing the grass from that area and redo it shorter in the future but at the moment I CBA

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Fields with sheep look like they have been mown mainly because sheep are four legged lawn mowers so the more sheep there are the shorter the grass will be. Goats will eat all the other plant life so a hand full of sheep and a couple of goats will give you a field that looks like a cricket pitch.  

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

That reminds me to tidy mine up, it's a mixture of satin black and matt black due to general carelessness! 

My sheep are in a plastic tub somewhere after the levitating sheep problem. They can go back once I have sorted out more pressing bits of the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

To be honest I’m finding it difficult to get motivated to continue with the layout at the moment, I’ve even considered starting from scratch in O gauge or 7mm Narrow gauge 

Ewe-sheep-1-01.jpeg.686b418c47d6e49522558350ec8dd2b9.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

To be honest I’m finding it difficult to get motivated to continue with the layout at the moment, I’ve even considered starting from scratch in O gauge or 7mm Narrow gauge 

It easy to get naffed off with something that's close by or you've had a lot to do with,  from an outside observers point of view however, your layout looks bloody good👍

I'd just have a bit of a break with something completely different (ie not railway related at all ) , and return when appropriate hopefully refreshed... 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm in the same boat as you mate.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I liked the sheep! They added an extra dimension to the overall scene.

So what if the grass is a bit long for them? Lots of people put down 4mm and 6mm static grass as scenery, and blades of grass 12" and 18" long are really quite rare in the real world, but no-one complains about that.

Is "grass length measuring" the new "rivet counting"? Maybe they were being herded up the road, escaped and are now being returned to their proper field. They're wonderfully painted (the pink in the ears is some excellent detail) - it seems a terrible shame not to include them in the layout.

Of course, you don't need a reason to include them. Surely Rule 1 applies to woolly animals as well as rolling stock?

"Return the sheep!"

• Agree 5

I must admit that I have been struggling with motivation on my layout recently. It's not that I don't like what I've done so far either, but I know that starting again isn't the answer, as I'd get to the same point with another layout. 

I think that it's a matter of picking one part of it and getting that bit built absolutely as far as possible and moving on. If you don't feel quite so ambitious, tackle one small area. 

Or as @BroadLeaves suggests, plant sheep and be damned!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I must say Chris and quite a few others have as well, that the sheep looked excellent.

I too have been struggling with the motivation so don't think your alone there. Is there something else you can do perhaps not modelling related. My excuse is that the weather is very yucky at the moment so I'm way behind with quite a few outside things. But I've decided that if it doesn't s get done then it doesn't get done it's as simple as that.

Any way just take it easy.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Of course, you don't need a reason to include them. Surely Rule 1 applies to woolly animals as well as rolling stock?

"Return the sheep!"

Totally agree - my comment was meant to be helpful and not at all critical.  I think Chris sets a very high standard with his modelling,, and excellent eye for detail.  I think grass length probably should be included in the rivet counter handbook 😁.         

• Like 4
  • Agree 1