• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Because it will bug you knowing that it wasn't painted. :D

More likely because I’m a pillock though :lol:

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Looking good there, Chris. Dirty enough and glazing is my vote too.

Thank you

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Superb work with the stove, way better than the one which comes with the interior kit which you can't even boil a kettle on.

I managed to conceal the wiring for lighting in my signal box behind the stove pipe, if it doesn't work out with running it up inside the back wall.

I am trying to simulate oil lighting and tried an orange led which looked naff when I tried it at night, would be interested to know which lighting you decide upon and are you on gas or oil?

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Chris

Superb work with the stove, way better than the one which comes with the interior kit which you can't even boil a kettle on.

I managed to conceal the wiring for lighting in my signal box behind the stove pipe, if it doesn't work out with running it up inside the back wall.

I am trying to simulate oil lighting and tried an orange led which looked naff when I tried it at night, would be interested to know which lighting you decide upon and are you on gas or oil?

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark

Its your fault! in as much as it was your signal box that provided the inspiration

I’ve got gas! but personal issues aside my lighting is also gas so I use warm white LEDs at a very low voltage (via a potentiometer)

A0BE73BA-4A91-4057-A139-E583B313B1BE.jpeg.f725ca5f8f9bedad118f679f95b2bd94.jpeg

If I we’re doing oil I’d probably go for the same warm white at a low voltage but perhaps a flickering led?

incandescent bulbs are better but when they blow they can be a pain to change if glued in place etc

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Door is on....

B2008A20-676B-481C-8D61-3F7A869120FB.jpeg.40684501090b7eb39e437cb433057b93.jpeg

....and I successfully refitted the front windows (I’d not put them in straight and it was bugging me)

2B6955C1-1DBF-419A-A68B-2DAAC2676EC3.jpeg.ed583071fd2606e41aee59d93aa05186.jpeg

....and that’s it for today

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

More likely because I’m a pillock though :lol:

Thank you

If it were I, I'd claim that I painted the back wall first as a trial or test piece for the others. And I always tell the truth...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If it were I, I'd claim that I painted the back wall first as a trial or test piece for the others. And I always tell the truth...

I never thought of that!

note to self, think of a good excuse before admitting you’re a pillock :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

....and I successfully refitted the front windows (I’d not put them in straight and it was bugging me)

2B6955C1-1DBF-419A-A68B-2DAAC2676EC3.jpeg.ed583071fd2606e41aee59d93aa05186.jpeg

Of course it was!

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

....which is why I refitted it. I can’t help it, it’s just the way my brain is wired

Tell me about it! I bet that extends to other parts of your life too.

I get fed up of telling myself to: Do it properly or don't bother. Or at least as well as you can all things considered.

At times it's infuriating.

The other day I sold another old bicycle, the deal was done, but I simply HAD to spend half an hour finding and fitting the correct 1970s pattern of reflector to the rear mudguard.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

This was bugging me...

F6FBB619-F62C-489A-A446-4B288F1D32AE.jpeg.065916b7bce237ec45460aca6e87bec7.jpeg

....which is why I refitted it. I can’t help it, it’s just the way my brain is wired

This is why you are in fact better than most of us.

If something was bugging me I would swear and carry on for about an hour and in my anger attempt to "fix it" which would invariably make it worse, only for me to completely lose my temper and smash it all up!

You on the other hand calmly fix it.

Excellent stuff!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bogie said:

If something was bugging me I would swear and carry on for about an hour and in my anger attempt to "fix it" which would invariably make it worse, only for me to completely lose my temper and smash it all up!

You on the other hand calmly fix it.

Excellent stuff!

I wouldn’t have noticed it had it not been for taking a photo and it showing up, then I can’t unsee it

I can assure you there was much swearing, luckily I’d only attached it with a few spots of glue so it ‘snapped’ off cleanly(ish)

Ordinarily I would attempt to correct something unnoticeable and make it much worse in which case I would have very calmly put it on the floor and stamped on it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Photo taking is the great equaliser.

I have taken a lot of photos of my layout and groaned audibly when I have reviewed the photos.  It is such a let down at times.  Hence my reluctance to post photos.

At least you are brave enough to post your photos.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to agree with Bogie. To put your work out there for all to see (and possibly judge our mind monkeys tell us) is the hardest thing to do. I make some of my money as an artist, but putting my work out in public is as nerve wracking now as it was in 1985.

There's always that detail that bugs is, sometimes to the point where we can't see the great 99.9% of the work that everyone else does.

It's kind of a curse, man...

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

This was bugging me...

F6FBB619-F62C-489A-A446-4B288F1D32AE.jpeg.065916b7bce237ec45460aca6e87bec7.jpeg

Now I'd have popped a bit of moss there and walked away from it, saying, that's more realistic.:)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Photos are a sod for highlighting all those little faults on the layout, which somehow evade the naked eye.  Since I've been posting on RM Web, I have uncovered many annoying (now I know they are there) faults, on my own layout.  I try and fix them, but some require some major work.  So I try to live with those, but it is sooo hard to do this when you know they are there.   I am a fan of  hiding them though as per Andy's post above.      

Edited by Gopher
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Now I'd have popped a bit of moss there and walked away from it, saying, that's more realistic.:)

I’d end up trying to put the moss in a straight and level line :lol:

I’ve got some enamel signs to put on the platform fencing and they are all different sizes and colours, I need to learn how to do random!....I’m a nightmare :rolleyes:

I’m not surprised my eldest son has Autism because I suspect I’ve got autistic tendencies myself

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bogie said:

I wouldn't go that far but thank you

I’m just a novice trying to keep up with some of the fantastic modellers on here.....I’d name names but the list would be too long and require a topic on it's own

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These are the levers that come as part of the signal box kit

63F4D3E9-BB75-437E-9C70-E9D465E0AEDC.jpeg.c06539f71f1c12cb519d544812c0d6ba.jpeg

And these are from the ground frame kit

D820F79D-5086-4343-9D4B-F2CD2EEC6234.jpeg.27fcee041226b0b474699f2d4daf73d1.jpeg

I prefer the latter

I only have basic red, blue and black but that’s good enough for me

• Like 4
  • Agree 2