Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition Layouts - and the winner is.....

At Railex we let the layouts vote for the best layout 3 point for first, 2 points for second and one point for third, and the layout with the most points wins, you are not allowed to vote for your own layout (although one person did and still didn't come first or second).

All you get for winning is a small brass badge, but its a bit of fun and normally most layouts do get a vote.

We also run a best model that is judged by a visiting modeller/s, in the past this has been Paul Karau, Chris Pendlenton, Tim Shackleton and this year I have a couple of judges but I won't say who they are. the idea is they look for any model in the show be it rolling stock or buildings etc something that is just a little bit on the good side.

David

• RMweb Premium

I liked the Manchester Show's 'floppy barrier award' which went to the layout that had had to have the barriers around it tightened up most, in other words the one that more people had spent time looking at and leaning on the barriers. Hungerford won it one year.

Jamie

I have heard of some layout owners loosening the bolts............. :blink:

Cheers,

Mick

I would like to add a futher criteria for any judges to consider. Has the layout been built by a club/team or is it te work of one modeller. i, myself think that this should be taken into consideration especially if it a close run decision between one,two or (three) layouts.

• RMweb Premium

And one other category which is in my personal gift as Exhibition manager. That is the 'GOLDEN 13 AMP PLUG' which is awarded to the layout or trader who has given the answer "1 13 amp plug" to the question " Power required........watts" on the booking form. The entry is followed by the wording "please do notm answer 1 13 amp plug as that is usless for planning purposes". I still get at least one reply each year and will present the trophy to it's recipient at the saturday night social. I was going to do it this year but there wer 3 winners all of whom were club membersand I only had 1 plug with me.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

when i showed warmington at romiley last year there were 2 separate votes, one by the public and the other by fellow exhibitors, the public one was for "most entertaining layout" and the exhibitors vote was for "best technical layout", i was quite shocked to come 2nd in the exhibitors choice but even more shocked to win the public vote!

regards the public vote the one comment i heard the most was "i love this layout coz its got lights" as well as "i can't believe there is so much detail in such a small space", the romiley show is more of a family show than a "modeller exhibition" (No offence to anyone from the romiley club but it is in aid of childrens charities with lots of have a go layouts) and i think a lot of the public walked away from the layout thinking "i could do that in my spare room" and hopefully borrowed a few of my ideas

as for the technical side i can only think i was placed because i took the time to chat to other operators about the layout and how its set up etc, the only flaw to that vote was the fact i didn't get any chance to leave the layout all day to vote for anyone else!!

Guest jim s-w

I would like to add a futher criteria for any judges to consider. Has the layout been built by a club/team or is it te work of one modeller. i, myself think that this should be taken into consideration especially if it a close run decision between one,two or (three) layouts.

Hiya

What difference does that make? I personally believe a layout build by a single modeller would always be better than a club for the reasons of consistancy I mentioned earlier.

Unless the club has a strong project leader (Manchester club springs to mind) there will always be a tendency to try and include stuff from all members when sometimes its not good enough. Just a personal opinion though of course.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hiya

What difference does that make? I personally believe a layout build by a single modeller would always be better than a club for the reasons of consistancy I mentioned earlier.

Unless the club has a strong project leader (Manchester club springs to mind) there will always be a tendency to try and include stuff from all members when sometimes its not good enough. Just a personal opinion though of course.

Cheers

Jim

I agree that a project leader approach can work well, because club layouts can unfortunately succumb to "lowest common denominator", but a high level of consistency can also be achieved if a particular person is responsible for a specific aspect of a layout, for example, buildings or trackwork.

Cheers,

Mick

Hiya

Cheers

Jim

Really Jim? If operating to your levels of skill, and consistent standards, then yes, that is certainly the case. I'm not so sure, though certainly, it can be true. The use of the word 'always' in your first sentence is slightly undermined by the second sentence! I'm sure plenty of people will have their own favourites, but two very definite group efforts by people operating to a similar standard rather than those led by a single individual from the past sprung automatically to my mind*: Dunwich and Winchester Chesil. There are equally, any number of layouts that I've seen over the years which show the limitations of individual modellers limits and interests. Usually this is superb stock/locos in decidely mediocre setings or hauling very strange trains and these limitations are every bit as common among group/club layouts as those put together by individuals.

Adam

* I've deliberately chosen layouts no longer on the circuit, though there are plenty of modern layouts where this is also relevant.

You would say that Alan, you won the prize!!!!!

If I remember rightly it's because you showed them the dog on your layout - all I can say is toilet humour. tongue.gif

Back to the point, I believe that exhibitors will always try to make the best models they can regardless of whether there is a cup/prize or not. I feel the competition is normally only seen as a bit of fun and social activity but I agree that for any judging that is required the method outlined so far is a fair and reasonable one.

It's took a while to reply Graham. Do you want to borrow Fido for Harris Sidingsbiggrin.gif biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their thought provoking (not to mention entertaining) comments and suggestions. They were invaluable in producing a set of guidelines for the judges, who commented that they found these very helpful in their task. In the end we decided to have two judges. One was a founder member of the club, and the second a member of a preservation group who had a stall at the show.

The exhibition took place on Saturday (May 8th). One thing which struck me when looking round was the excellent quality of *all* the layouts. It can't have been easy to choose a winner.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd try to take a few pictures of the various layouts to give an idea of what the exhibition was like. I have put these under the "Cambridge Exhibition" thread here

As previously noted it's a small exhibition, and two layouts (Friar's Crossing and Redingham) were not included in the judging as they belonged to club members, which left eight layouts. During their deliberations the judges visited each layout twice, and Gasworks Row emerged as best layout. The final picture shows the award being presented.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Really Jim? If operating to your levels of skill, and consistent standards, then yes, that is certainly the case. I'm not so sure, though certainly, it can be true. The use of the word 'always' in your first sentence is slightly undermined by the second sentence! I'm sure plenty of people will have their own favourites, but two very definite group efforts by people operating to a similar standard rather than those led by a single individual from the past sprung automatically to my mind*: Dunwich and Winchester Chesil. There are equally, any number of layouts that I've seen over the years which show the limitations of individual modellers limits and interests. Usually this is superb stock/locos in decidely mediocre setings or hauling very strange trains and these limitations are every bit as common among group/club layouts as those put together by individuals.

Adam

* I've deliberately chosen layouts no longer on the circuit, though there are plenty of modern layouts where this is also relevant.

Hi Adam

I see your point. I just assumed an individual would apply the same care to all aspects where as thats not always true.

Cheers

Jim

Archived