Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition Layouts - and the winner is.....

• RMweb Premium

One point folk have missed (i think) is that in my opinion judges should visit a layout twice. This helps judge consistency of operation and running. A layout running faultlessly on first visit may be running poorly on the second and one which you caught 'just at the wrong moment' may be perfect on the second visit. Either way on consistency of operation i'd score the layout running well on both occasions higher....

At my old club's show (Stafford) they generally have had three judges - one trader, one demonstrator (which was me one year) and a dad/mum/wife of a club member. That gave a good cross section of likes/dislikes and resulted in a widely acceptable result.

In recent years the competition was restricted to only visiting layouts and excluded the club's own and private layouts from club members. In years gone past i'm sure that a separate competition was held amoungst club layouts and this, i think, was voted on by the public. One year this resulted in the club's Thomas themed layout beating the club's flagship OO roundy roundy!! But that's the public vote for you....

Well, you look away from the Forum for a few moments and when you go back all these posts have appeared!

I very much appreciate all the responses. There have been some very, very good points made and a number of excellent suggestions which I will definitely take up.

Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily going to be judging the layouts myself (although it's always possible that I could be press-ganged into that as well!) The conversation went something like:

"... so, organising and collating all the voting for the layouts took a lot of time last year. There must be a way we could make it easier"

"Why don't we have a small panel of judges, each from a different background, who will go round the exhibition at leisure and rate the layouts."

"That's a good idea. Any chance that you could organise it?"

You will observe the serious mistake which I made!:blink:

Distilling from the various suggestions in the posts:

I am thinking in terms of no more than 3 judges. Each judge has a score sheet which has a small number (certainly no more than 5) criteria on which to rate each layout. For obvious reasons this needs to be kept as straightforward as possible - and we don't want to micromanage or second guess the judges' impressions.

Possible candidates for "criteria":

(Give a score from 0 to 10 for each.)

Atmosphere / Realism: Does the layout initially grab your attention in some way? Does it capture the feel of the intended area / period ? Is what you see believable or are there features which are out of place in the real world?

Entertainment: How popular is the layout with the customers? Are there crowds watching or does everyone move on after a short time? Is there usually something happening on the layout or are there long periods of inactivity? Do some of the operators interact with the audience / answer questions, etc?

Presentation: Is the layout presented well? eg good lighting, arranged so that it is easy to see what's going on, good backscenes, additional useful information or photographs displayed, or other means to interpret layout.

Consistency: Is the stock reasonable for the intended area / period ? Is there evidence of equal attention to detail on e.g. locos, rolling stock, scenery, buildings?

As it's a small exhibition with circa 10 layouts I think this should work, but please feel free to suggest additions/deletions/alterations etc.

A very good point is made by the mention of a vintage tinplate type layout. Many of our customers are not specifically modellers or enthusiasts - for example there are usually a fair few grandparents taking their grandchildren to "see the trains". So I've no doubt that such a layout would be very popular. But could it be "best layout"? I don't know the answer to that one. As it happens there isn't such a layout in the exhibition this year, but it could be argued that there should be one in the future. Although we do also have a substantial number of customers whose interest would be in the "scale" layouts.

"Best Layout" it has been rightly pointed out is a fairly meaningless concept if not heavily qualified, but I am now hopeful that we can come up with something that is reasonably fair.

If there is interest, I can try and take some photos on the day and then give a flavour of the various layouts there, along with which layout came out top. Always assuming, of course that something doesn't go horribly wrong with my cunning plan. In which case, who was it that started that strange thread about exhibition layouts.....? ;)

Cheers,

Alan

I dont normally make points like this, and usually roll my eyes when someone else does smile.gif but...

Ive always thought the hobby to be non competetive, Ive done lots of hobbies that are competitive and frankly the people end up being annoying, not helpfull, and basically...competitive.

one of the reasons I like the hobby as I say, is because its not competitive, people are freindly and will tell you any of theyre secrets of good model making and techniques etc, some people do try and make it competitive , which isnt necessarilly a bad thing as competition helps improve things.

but maybe were wrong to be awarding a prize when not everyone has actually come to be judged.

its not crufts, or a scalextric race or anything like that.

from my own observations, the hobby has a sort of old fashioned british charm, that admires someone whos brought lets say a new layout and has made a good job of it but is quiet and reserved about it,

but the hobby doesnt like those who shout and try and go for the best layout prize

I do apologise for talking rubbish , hope it makes some sense smile.gif

Mike

Ive always thought the hobby to be non competetive, Ive done lots of hobbies that are competitive and frankly the people end up being annoying, not helpfull, and basically...competitive.

I know exactly where you are coming from. One of my pet hates is how "modern society" (whatever that actually means!) seeks to turn everything into a competition in which there's only one winner, with everyone else (i.e. most of us) "losers".

I suppose on one level I / we (as in the club putting on the exhibition) could be accused of adding to this trend. I would like to think it's not quite like that. Competitions of one sort or another have been around in railway modelling since the earliest days. And elsewhere in society. I have the good fortune to live in a village community - one of the things which helps preserve my sanity! Each year since goodness knows when there has been a village show for which there is fierce competition for the biggest vegetables, the best cakes, and so on. But there's no bloodshed (well, not usually!), no one ends up disadvantaged or heavily out of pocket if they don't get the prize. And people help each other out, so in a sense, everyone wins. This is the sort of model I'd like to think applies to our situation rather than the "X-Factor" type of approach.

Alan

yes its no fault of the organisers. definatley a prize or cup should be awarded.

but what I wouldnt want to see is exhibitors turning up with attitudes towards other exhibitors, either being sneakily quiet or over confident towards them. (thinking of father ted and father dick byrne :), those whove seen the tv show father ted will know what I mean)

after all, if you do turn up with that attidude,and that youve done everything thats suggested on this thread, and get pipped by the thomas layout, be prepared to be dissapointed.

if it where to be fair, and be judged like crufts, or the IPMS scale plastic model show, then probably it would have to have all sorts of criteria and nationwide standard of marking and points awarded.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

i just remembered an 'interesting' best layout competition from a show we attended a few years back. The show had 3 club layouts and about 12 visiting layouts. The judges came from the club's large (but very tired and poorly running) layout where the hand of god was seen more often than a running train. Any guesses which layout won?......

This internal favourtism caused much 'amusement' from other layouts and indeed many comments from the general public. As a result i think that the judges unknowingly undermined the credibilty of the show and on the second day there was very much a them and us atmosphere between the home club and the visitors. Mind you the welcome visiting layouts received went along the lines of 'set up there, make sure you're out on sunday by Xpm'.

So, in summary, unbiased judging is a must.

That funny bunch (aka the public) as a collective seem to have a fairly consistant idea of what makes a good layout- usually one with a list of "Look out for three ducks...etc", a cameo of a 70's Sitcom, some snow, and a bit of Welsh-orientated narrow gauge for good measure. That's obviously a key as to what to design into an exhibition layout if it's sole purpose is to go to shows, but I took the approach that i'd rather build an exhibitable layout at home instead.

Another point i've discovered is the public will rarely vote for their favourite, and unless there is someone by an exit door with a clipboard, filling in a short questionnaire, either as a separate sheet or a tear out section in the guide, is too much bother. This sometimes leads to the situation where a number of cheeky club members will vote for the member sales stand as their favourite exhibit...

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk of the general modelling attitude of 'I'll biuld what I want, and if it wins a cup I'll be delighted', how does that square with our own 2010 challenge??? :rolleyes:

Stu

• RMweb Premium

With all this talk of the general modelling attitude of 'I'll biuld what I want, and if it wins a cup I'll be delighted', how does that square with our own 2010 challenge??? :rolleyes:

Stu

Problem is what i really want to build doesn't fit within the 2010 board size!! Perhaps it would in T gauge....now there's a thought!

With all this talk of the general modelling attitude of 'I'll biuld what I want, and if it wins a cup I'll be delighted', how does that square with our own 2010 challenge??? rolleyes.gif

Stu

......but surely that is a challenge to produce a layout within a specified time period, rather than a competition to build the best, or biggest, or smallest, or the "one with each and every rivet correctly placed and in proportion", or........

I dont normally make points like this, and usually roll my eyes when someone else does but...

one of the reasons I like the hobby as I say, is because its not competitive, people are freindly and will tell you any of theyre secrets of good model making and techniques etc, some people do try and make it competitive , which isnt necessarilly a bad thing as competition helps improve things.

but maybe were wrong to be awarding a prize when not everyone has actually come to be judged.

its not crufts, or a scalextric race or anything like that.

Fair points, Mike. I agree with that to a point, because for me the hobby is about having a go and trying something – it doesn’t matter if the end result is poor, the very fact that you had a go is the more important thing.

Equally I don’t see why some people can’t make it competitive if that’s what they want to do. In the same way that the hobby permits people to model whatever they like, I think it also allows people to approach modelling however they wish. Want to model for your own satisfaction? Fine. Want to compete with others to make the best model? That’s fine too.

One point that I’m not sure has been answered or not – why do we have to have a cup at a show? The discussion has started at the point where a cup must be awarded – go back a step. What does it add to the show, what does it give either the exhibitors or the visitors? All the layout owners and operators have given up a weekend, I’m not sure why one lot should be rewarded more than the others. I’d be happy to see the money required for the trophy spent on some packs of fun size chocolate and one pack handed out to each exhibitor as an unexpected bonus ‘thank you’. I bet that would get a smile from every layout operator, not just the one with the cup...

Trying to decide if that large roundy roundy set in 2010 is a more suitable recipient than the 1932 shunting plank seems largely a nonsense to me. Just to give one example around the ‘interact with audience’ front, something like Copenhagen Fields, with its massively high backscene and invisible operators, would score very low… but does it then score very high for 'backscene quality'?

Do we need a cup? Would the show be just as much a success without it?

A good example of selecting the 'best' layout at a show was at MMRG last October. The ladies from the tea room looked at every layout at least twice and selected what they thought was the best on the day. Totally unbiased and completley neutral.

from my own observations, the hobby has a sort of old fashioned british charm, that admires someone whos brought lets say a new layout and has made a good job of it but is quiet and reserved about it,

but the hobby doesnt like those who shout and try and go for the best layout prize

Mike

So true Mike!

As someone associated with the Multi-award-winning!! tongue.gif 'Crumley and Little Wickhill' I have to say we don't set out to win awards, and aren't bothered if we don't: win or lose it doesn't make or spoil the weekend for us...

However there is that minority (not mentioning any names, but I'm sure you can think of a few examples wink.gif) who sell themselves/their layouts as the pinacle of the hobby and it is entertaining to see them beaten whether it is by one of our layouts, or the 'Thomas' layout or the Club second hand stall...

Paul

Guest jim s-w

Indeed Paul

At the end of the day, award or not does it matter? Does a layout become somehow better because it has a cup?

I know what I like and what appeals to me - I donr need someone else to tell me what that is.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

myself, Chris Hewitt and Jimmy Carlin over the years have won such coveted awards as.

untidiest layout award.

ugliest operator award.

last to finish packing away award

and Im sure much more that we havent been told about :)

Mike

Sounds like you need "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" awards!

A good example of selecting the 'best' layout at a show was at MMRG last October. The ladies from the tea room looked at every layout at least twice and selected what they thought was the best on the day. Totally unbiased and completley neutral.

You would say that Alan, you won the prize!!!!!

If I remember rightly it's because you showed them the dog on your layout - all I can say is toilet humour. :P

Back to the point, I believe that exhibitors will always try to make the best models they can regardless of whether there is a cup/prize or not. I feel the competition is normally only seen as a bit of fun and social activity but I agree that for any judging that is required the method outlined so far is a fair and reasonable one.

Why not a small committee set up specifically to judge the members of a small committee who can then judge the layouts ?

Are we taking this too seriously for the fun we are all supposed to be having ? Remember the days when so called 'continental layouts' - anything from the DR to the SOO Line - were usually seen in 'ones' - a token guesture - at most exhibitions ? And when RM was packed full of God's Wonderful Railway, particularly Ashburton ( bless you !) every other month ?

Surely the real answer lies with those lucky folks who travel the country every weekend seeking layouts for their next Club exhibition; okay they are single, but they pick the layouts on a few minutes observation to provide variety; that's what a good exhibition has !!

Bob

Still modelling that wierd continental, cuckoo clock and chocolate place.......

• RMweb Premium

I liked the Manchester Show's 'floppy barrier award' which went to the layout that had had to have the barriers around it tightened up most, in other words the one that more people had spent time looking at and leaning on the barriers. Hungerford won it one year.

Jamie

One point that I’m not sure has been answered or not – why do we have to have a cup at a show? The discussion has started at the point where a cup must be awarded ................

No it didn't, not exactly :). It started from the point that we *do* have a best layout award (and have done for some time) - which is slightly different.

................Do we need a cup? Would the show be just as much a success without it?

It's a very valid point. The short answer is no, you don't *need* one and the show could be a success without one.

Some of the potential drawbacks of "the cup" are highlighted very well in the posts that have been made. There can be positive effects as well, though.

A debate of the pros and cons of such competitions at shows could run and run.........

To answer the "Why have them?"

Cups and Shields are often presented to clubs to be awarded in memory of a member.

That is more or less how the award in our club came into being, although it wasn't actually a club member in our case:

"Best Layout Award – Glynn Davies Trophy

Cyril Davies of Bury St. Edmunds presented the 31A (Cambridge) Model Railway Club a relic of the days of steam.

Cambridge being an important railway hub was the centre of hours of interest for Cyril Davies’ son Glynn. After Glynn’s death his sister Fay found a 31A shed plate in his railway memorabilia. Researching the subject she found that the Cambridge Model Railway Club used a facsimile of the shed plate as their club logo. Realising the connection she donated the shed plate to the club.

The shed plate is now forms the basis of the Glynn Davies trophy, an award for the best model railway layout, at the club’s annual Model Railway Exhibition."

So there's a story, and a little bit of history, behind it.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Things that do it for me include;

Trackwork that flows

Signals that work

Scenery that looks like it was there first

Sufficient details to hold interest

Smooth running ( no locos with hiccups)

Appropriate stock

One of thed best exhibition layouts which I have been priviledged to operate was Maristow by Bob Harper. I did forget the catch points a couple of times though!

Donw

Archived