The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Not!

melmerby

What they now call "weedkillers" in garden centres etc

Proper glyphosate actually works so it must be better to use less of that than gallons of **** ?? ;)

Pro use Glyphosate is about 6 times as powerful, available to non spraying licence holders on a well known auction site, hacks me off no end that I had to pay for a course years back that taught me nothing to buy something that anyone with internet access can get! However does mean I have access to some real good stuff for problem jobs.

supermarket oven pies, if you cook for the said time and heat the top is nice and golden but the middle is luke warm but if you cook it right through for longer the top is black

Is your oven a fan-assisted one? If so, set it for 10 to 20 degrees lower, but extend the cooking time by a few minutes. 

• RMweb Premium

Pro use Glyphosate is about 6 times as powerful, available to non spraying licence holders on a well known auction site, hacks me off no end that I had to pay for a course years back that taught me nothing to buy something that anyone with internet access can get! However does mean I have access to some real good stuff for problem jobs.

My Glyphosate (bought at a garden centre) is about 10%, some I've seen are as low as (IIRC) 1.5%

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Try having a Teenage child!

It's the same with purchase apps on phones.

Scroll through to find app, select app, present app to reader (needs to be just right), done.

Meanwhile I've swiped/touched my plastic card and gone!

Keith

I'll maybe the odd one out here and say that I see nothing wrong with regulations to prohibit coatings, treatments, weedkillers environmentally harmful or a pronounced health and safety risk when more benign alternatives are available ...

I agree. But I do wish they hadn't banned the sale of creosote for domestic use when there is no benign alternative available that's anywhere near as effective.

• RMweb Premium

I agree. But I do wish they hadn't banned the sale of creosote for domestic use when there is no benign alternative available that's anywhere near as effective.

The trouble with creosote is that it is downright toxic.

Wood treated with creosote leaches the stuff which gets into the soil, animals etc. and so on through the ecosystem.

Keith

I'll maybe the odd one out here and say that I see nothing wrong with regulations to prohibit coatings, treatments, weedkillers environmentally harmful or a pronounced health and safety risk when more benign alternatives are available. Remember it is not just the effects at the point of use, it is the feed stocks to make the things, the manufacture etc. There needs to be an effective alternative, but that might not necessarily mean as effective as the harmful stuff and some adjustments in how we do things may be necessary. And it is not something Europe has forced on us given that the UK has tended to be one of the EU members pushing for a lot of this stuff (it amuses me when we're told that we might become some sort of rogue elephant country of eco-vandalism after Bexit when on a whole range of issues if anything Europe has retarded some of the environmental measures promoted by our own representatives in Brussels, not to get political or anything).

You may be surprised to know that there are several things now banned in the EU that are still manufactured in the EU.....Weedkillers for example, one of the biggest manufacturer of Paraquat is in Huddersfield, Syngenta produce copious amounts for export. A bit of a case of double standards really. The upshot of Paraquat being banned is greater reliance on Glyphosate, which again causes issues. Paraquat is nasty stuff having had an acquaintance die from it's ingestion I know just how horrible. Whilst regulation is in general a good thing unless everything goes 'green' there's always going to be some nasties about, it really is about being sensible, but that's probably to much to ask from any of our Govt agencies!!

It’s kind of axiomatic that anything that is really good at killing weeds or stopping rot is going to harm the environment, given that weeds and rot ARE the environment. I guess that pre-industrialisation people just had to put up with weeds and rot, and find the most resistant crops and timbers.

Laser Mechanics Stethoscope (bought to identify various MGB engine noises). The probe was loose and made it impossible to hear any noise clearly. A call to to the Tool Connection help line got the response (after checking one from their stock) that it was the same so that is how they must all be. Returned for Screwfix who refunded the cost.

Perhaps we can help at work https://www.motorsport-tools.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=stethoscope ... we also have some extremely long screwdrivers :D

In a similar vane we sold some very expensive valve seat cutters - only for them to be returned because they are so badly designed that they vibrate all over the place, so you're cutting a seat that is no better than the damaged one you were trying to repair! 

• RMweb Premium

I've no doubt someone said the same about the first trains, cars and steam ships.

I'm not against technology. I have been an early adopter for many things and stll keep up to date where possible.

My first taste of computing was before they had VDUs and everything was entered as hex code.

I had a colour TV in 1969,  a CD player in 1985, I used to visit bulletin boards (remember them?) over a 300bit connexion.

I started saving my records (vinyl) as digital files years before it became a popular music form. etc. etc.

However some of the current technology advances e.g. smart watches and smart speakers just leave me baffled as to why.

It seems to be trying to generate a market for a technology, rather than technology being developed because of a market requirement.

It's like the "smart home" systems where you can turn the central heating on while your in the Bahamas! Why? If it goes cold the thermostat turns mine on automatically.

Or maybe I'm just getting old? :jester:

Mind you, checking the CCTV to see what ne'er do well has been prowling around could be useful.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s kind of axiomatic that anything that is really good at killing weeds or stopping rot is going to harm the environment, given that weeds and rot ARE the environment. I guess that pre-industrialisation people just had to put up with weeds and rot, and find the most resistant crops and timbers.

The environmentalists have gotten the shipping industry into a right mess with respect to transmission of invasive species. Years ago they persuaded the world to ban effective biocide hull coatings because they killed critters (which of course was the whole point). Now ships are being blamed for giving critters free passage to go on global holidays by attaching them to the hulls because hull coatings don't kill them. And that is without getting into the whole mess of ballast water treatment.

• RMweb Premium

You may be surprised to know that there are several things now banned in the EU that are still manufactured in the EU.....Weedkillers for example, one of the biggest manufacturer of Paraquat is in Huddersfield, Syngenta produce copious amounts for export. A bit of a case of double standards really. The upshot of Paraquat being banned is greater reliance on Glyphosate, which again causes issues. Paraquat is nasty stuff having had an acquaintance die from it's ingestion I know just how horrible. Whilst regulation is in general a good thing unless everything goes 'green' there's always going to be some nasties about, it really is about being sensible, but that's probably to much to ask from any of our Govt agencies!!

Ah yes, the side of European environmentalism we don't like to talk about. What's good for us at home isn't necessarily good for the rest of the world. Economic reality tends to trump principles when it comes to the brass tacks, hence why Germany has made sure not to go much beyond a mild slap on the wrist to their car industry over the emissions scandal.

The environmentalists have gotten the shipping industry into a right mess with respect to transmission of invasive species. Years ago they persuaded the world to ban effective biocide hull coatings because they killed critters (which of course was the whole point). Now ships are being blamed for giving critters free passage to go on global holidays by attaching them to the hulls because hull coatings don't kill them. And that is without getting into the whole mess of ballast water treatment.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!!

• RMweb Premium

Diesel emissions scandal: VW fined €1bn by German prosecutors

Volkswagen has been fined €1bn (£880m) over diesel emissions cheating in what amounts to one of the highest ever fines imposed by German authorities against a company.

Remind me again what penalties the UK government has imposed?

That just says our government are even more supine than the German government. Given the nature of the crimes it is effectively a slap on the wrist. Especially next to the penalties imposed in the US.

• Like 1

Diesel emissions scandal: VW fined €1bn by German prosecutors

Volkswagen has been fined €1bn (£880m) over diesel emissions cheating in what amounts to one of the highest ever fines imposed by German authorities against a company.

Remind me again what penalties the UK government has imposed?

The emissions scandal strangely broke just a day or two after VW Audi group opened an engine plant in Путинская Россия which was against the "unilateral trade sanctions" that had been placed upon those dealing with Russia. Such "unilateral trade sanctions" are, according to international law considered acts of war by the UN which has said nothing upon the subject.

This bit of the emissions scandal is for some reason left out of the news that is feed via MSM.

• RMweb Premium

Dulux 'Once' paint - the word they should have printed on the tin was in fact 'Twice'.

Anything marketed as 'Easy open pack' and similar lies...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is your oven a fan-assisted one? If so, set it for 10 to 20 degrees lower, but extend the cooking time by a few minutes. 

Also cook on a thickish metal tray that's been in the oven whilst pre-heating - this gets some energy into the pie from the bottom straight away.

Dulux 'Once' paint - the word they should have printed on the tin was in fact 'Twice'.

Anything marketed as 'Easy open pack' and similar lies...

And almost any pack trumpeted as "re-sealable"...…...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - the whole point of a truly effective weedkiller is surely that it shouldn't be "environmentally friendly".

My trusted standby for persistent weeds like ivy and brambles, sodium chlorate, disappeared from the market several years ago and the stuff you can still get is so weak it has to be applied every month instead of twice a year.

John