Bachmann cancellations

Butler Henderson

Email from Rails today

Newsletter 08/10/2014

Hi there,

We have been informed by Bachmann that the following products will no longer be manufactured. We have removed these from sale on our website and will be contacting customers who have them order with us individually.

OO Gauge

Junior Diesel Shunter 30-910

3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 #3028 GWR Green - 31-129A

Hall Class 6922 'Burton Hall' BR Lined Green Late Crest  32-006

Class 42 Warship 'Cockade' #810 BR Blue - Weathered - 32-062

Intermodal Bogie Wagons 45' Curtain-sided Containers 'P&O Ferrymaster' 37-340

Intermodal Bogie Wagons 45' Curtain-sided Containers 'Geest' 37-341

Email from Rails today

Newsletter 08/10/2014

Hi there,

We have been informed by Bachmann that the following products will no longer be manufactured. We have removed these from sale on our website and will be contacting customers who have them order with us individually.

OO Gauge

Junior Diesel Shunter 30-910

3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 #3028 GWR Green - 31-129A

Hall Class 6922 'Burton Hall' BR Lined Green Late Crest  32-006

Class 42 Warship 'Cockade' #810 BR Blue - Weathered - 32-062

Intermodal Bogie Wagons 45' Curtain-sided Containers 'P&O Ferrymaster' 37-340

Intermodal Bogie Wagons 45' Curtain-sided Containers 'Geest' 37-341

Was in my local shop lunchtime and the owner mentioned that Bachmann had cancelled a number of items. He seemed to think high RRP and lack of orders from shops may be to blame.

None of these cancelled models appears in the 2014 catalogue, so it seems the decision was made some time ago. I suppose the cancellation of the Collett Hall may be due to loss of orders following 1) the manufacturing error and recall last year and 2) being unable to get the corrected model to market before the likely delivery of the Hornby Hall. Bachmann are quoting mid 2015 as the likely date for the re-manufactured Modified Halls, which were similarly affected. This may explain why they have extended the Modified Hall to 4 models in the 2014 catalogue.

GWR ROD, Hall and class 42, a sign that Western items no longer sell?

it's my impression that the original version of this item: (3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 #3028 GWR Green - 31-129A) sold well. This version is a renumbered rerun.

I think the question here is one of production slots. My guess is that they are eliminating production slots of models that have already been in the marketplace (I'm not sure about the class 42) in favour of slots for new releases.

My supplier informed me about the cancellation of the ROD some months ago.

Was in my local shop lunchtime and the owner mentioned that Bachmann had cancelled a number of items. He seemed to think high RRP and lack of orders from shops may be to blame.

What retailers do not order in sufficient quantity to meet the required minimum batch size, simply will not get manufactured. It's been that way for quite a while. The financing model for production is to get the retailer payment in before the production costs fall due for payment. So if the money isn't committed by orders, then the production run cannot happen.

Rising prices are going to make the effects of this method ever more apparent. There seems to be general denial over this, but within the foreseeable future model railway production is going to have to relocate to wherever the costs enable an acceptable RRP for target markets. Whether there are still cheap locations in China, or it has to go elsewhere, we just have to wait and see.

I would love to know what effect the price increase has had on sales, i know i have cancelled most of my pre orders due to this. 

I think they are going to learn the hard way, someone ought to remind them the UK is just coming out of recession and people don't have the money in their pockets for such luxuries !!!!

• RMweb Gold

GWR ROD, Hall and class 42, a sign that Western items no longer sell?

But they still list 4 'Modified Halls', and several other classes of Western engines so if they don't sell it seems strange to keep them in the catalogue?  They might well have made a strategic decision in respect of the 'Hall' due to the promised Hornby version  (which in EP form I thought wasn't up to the Bachmann one) or it could be a production issue (or simply a way of making sure the factory don't mix up the bits - again).

But they still list 4 'Modified Halls', and several other classes of Western engines so if they don't sell it seems strange to keep them in the catalogue?  They might well have made a strategic decision in respect of the 'Hall' due to the promised Hornby version  (which in EP form I thought wasn't up to the Bachmann one) or it could be a production issue (or simply a way of making sure the factory don't mix up the bits - again).

Indeed, it was a slightly tongue in cheek joke. That said gone are the early 80s when many layouts to be seen where great western.

• RMweb Gold

I think they are going to learn the hard way, someone ought to remind them the UK is just coming out of recession and people don't have the money in their pockets for such luxuries !!!!

Fortunately, not everyone is in that position (other than by reason of obscene riches, unfortunately). I've had only two new locos that fit either of my main interests to spend money on for three years (you may have guessed I'm not into LNER/Eastern Region!) so my model railway budget is seriously in credit for the first time ever!

I have the cash set aside for everything expected that I really want well into 2016; much of it from a certain emporium west of the Tamar, plus a handful of items from Hornby and Bachmann. I reckon I still have at least two years to save up for a Brighton Atlantic!

A few off-theme 'lollipops' (10000, Dukedog, Lanky tank, 1F, Hornby Sentinel) were funded by shifting some surplus modern stuff but I had no difficulty whatever ignoring the DoG, P2 and Garratt. There are valid reasons for higher prices but, from here on in, my watchword has to be 'focus' and there will be many others in the same boat.  

However, If enough people can't (or won't) stump up for particular models at prices Bachmann etc can make a living out of, the dealers won't order them and they simply won't get made. Whether or not that has caused the present situation, the industry and hobby could quickly be on a slippery slope if it were to occur on a large scale.

John

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly more targetted now. The last Bachmann model I bought was the Lanky tank in L&Y livery. I was thinking of collecting locos in pre grouping liveries and so have an LBSCR E4 on order. But I think I'll cancel as, although I think I'll get the E4 at the pre order price I'm not about to start a collection of highly priced , limited use (to me ) items. If the prices had been lower , I would  have gone ahead with the collection.  Also considering selling the Lanky tank and replacng with the LMS Crimson one when it comes out.  This will leave the only thing I have on order as the LNER C1 from NRM. Grudgingly paying the price for it as I want one, but that will probably comprise  next years loco purchases in full!

However, If enough people can't (or won't) stump up for particular models at prices Bachmann etc can make a living out of, the dealers won't order them and they simply won't get made. Whether or not that has caused the present situation, the industry and hobby could quickly be on a slippery slope if it were to occur on a large scale.

I've been thinking along similar lines. If your product is unaffordable to the customer, or not seen as value for money, you don't have a business do you?

• RMweb Gold

I've been thinking along similar lines. If your product is unaffordable to the customer, or not seen as value for money, you don't have a business do you?

I think we visited this topic a few months ago on Bloody Sunday when the Furies went on the loose as Bachmann's new models for 2014/5 were announced along with significant price rises.,the reasons for which are already well documented here and elsewhere.Please let us not revisit it now..When we talk in this tone be careful for what you wish.Do you seriously want to be prophets of doom presiding over the demise of Bachmann rubbing hands like Jeremiah clucking "There..I told you so..."

Like it or not,Bachmann's survival and success are vital to the continuance of this little niche of ours and we have to swallow unpalatable events such as paying more...or not...as the case might be.

Fortunately, not everyone is in that position (other than by reason of obscene riches, unfortunately). I've had only two new locos that fit either of my main interests to spend money on for three years (you may have guessed I'm not into LNER/Eastern Region!) so my model railway budget is seriously in credit for the first time ever!

I have the cash set aside for everything expected that I really want well into 2016; much of it from a certain emporium west of the Tamar, plus a handful of items from Hornby and Bachmann. I reckon I still have at least two years to save up for a Brighton Atlantic!

A few off-theme 'lollipops' (10000, Dukedog, Lanky tank, 1F, Hornby Sentinel) were funded by shifting some surplus modern stuff but I had no difficulty whatever ignoring the DoG, P2 and Garratt. There are valid reasons for higher prices but, from here on in, my watchword has to be 'focus' and there will be many others in the same boat.  

John

With respect whod have thought the big 4 supermarkets would ever get their posteriors handed to them by the likes of aldi and lidl?

The quality hasnt suffered indeed the quality seems to be better in many cases yet they must be making a healthy profit even though they are a level or two below the pricepoints of the big 4.

If course its only an analogy but you get the idea. If Bachmann have a set profit margin that is fine for them but for a.n.other they might be able to produce a product equally as detailed at a lower profit margin level.

it wont be death of the hobby it will simply be the changing face of it. Bachmann could end up as a maker of short run top draw models for those with bigger pensions if they are focussed on maintaining xyz margins. There will always be somebody else waiting to seize on an opportunity.

I have mentioned before, that with all this crowd sourcing, pre ordering, manufacturing to pre orders and model production runs of popular items (or perhaps everything) being sold out before they "hit the shops" then all the multi page rave reviews in the modelling press become obsolete, the models will be with the owners before the review is read !!!!!!!!!

Not only models, but I buy very few model mags also these days.

Expensive hobby nowadays in an ever more expensive world !!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

I think we visited this topic a few months ago on Bloody Sunday when the Furies went on the loose as Bachmann's new models for 2014/5 were announced along with significant price rises.,the reasons for which are already well documented here and elsewhere.Please let us not revisit it now..When we talk in this tone be careful for what you wish.Do you seriously want to be prophets of doom presiding over the demise of Bachmann rubbing hands like Jeremiah clucking "There..I told you so..."

Like it or not,Bachmann's survival and success are vital to the continuance of this little niche of ours and we have to swallow unpalatable events such as paying more...or not...as the case might be.

Ian I belive the point is are buyers prepared to pay more or in these times can afford to pay more

If not then no matter what the justification the market won't be there and Bachmann could have issues

This isn't a case of I told you so, we all want Bachmann to thrive but it is a valid observation that they could price themselves out of reach.

I don't have the market info to say that's a certainty or an uncertainty just an observation that it might be an issue

Colin

Archived