Removing Cork Underlay

Hey Everyone

Does anyone have a good solution for removing cork underlay which has been stuck down with PVA to a plywood baseboard?

I can find loads of topics on how to get the thing stuck down but not really much to getting it back up again!!

Cheers

Huw

• RMweb Premium

Hey Everyone

Does anyone have a good solution for removing cork underlay which has been stuck down with PVA to a plywood baseboard?

I can find loads of topics on how to get the thing stuck down but not really much to getting it back up again!!

Cheers

Huw

Large flat paint scraper such as one of these

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Make sure the edge of the paint scraper is kept fairly sharp and put some pressure on it when using.

Keep it at a fairly shallow angle else it will cut into the ply.

It's possible, providing you haven't overdone the PVA to get the cork up and after cleaning up re-use it.

It will be a bit "knocked about" but as it is the underside it doesn't matter.

Have done it many times as my layout has evolved.

Keith

Ironically I have recently removed some myself which was stuck down with PVA. Using a scraper blade at a very shallow angle it took some doing and I wished I'd have gone with my conventional method of using Copydex due to its flexible nature it would have been much easier to remove.

The ply baseboard was sanded in the areas where the cork had been glued and now back to square one with some considerable effort.

I did use Copydex to glue my track / points all of which are hand built and came up with very little effort and damage thankfully.

Good luck with the removal.

Grahame

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Echo use of large flat scraper.....and would add small domestic steam cleaner, hand held with nozzle, will soften everything nicely

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/floorcare/steam-cleaners/bissell-2635-steam-shot-steam-cleaner-white-20078210-pdt.html - other makes are available.

Phil